Six Months (challenge #107) PG-13 see warning

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Six Months (challenge #107) PG-13 see warning

Post by wpgrace »

Phoenix wrote:
Thank you, Grace. :hug: You know, when we first joined forces on Champagne Challenge #106, and you asked me to write a meeting between Mick and Lance, my initial reaction was :confused2: then :chair: then :quill: But the one thing I never imagined was it turning into a trilogy of vignettes. The more I write about Lance, the more intrigued I become with him. He is ruthless; cruel; polite; selfish; dangerous; yet compassionate according to his own rules. (He could have killed Mick, but he didn't, thank goodness.) :phew:

I know I threw you for a loop... sorry about that... but you produced one of my favorite one-shots as a result with Family Reunion. And I so agree! Lance is a mesmerizing character. He's not a good guy, but he's not all a bad guy either. He's a vampire. And for whatever reason, he easily COULD have killed MIck... but I think as you've shown, out of love for Cora, his own intrigue over this reluctant brother-in-law, and because killing Mick accomplishes nothing in particular so isn't worth the effort right now, he lets Mick live. This is such a new situation for Mick... so yeah, Lance was endlessly fascinating for me and the interactions and emotions among the threesome of Lance, Cora, and Mick is just awkward and riveting to ponder. And you have brought it to life and I am so tickled....

I did my best to distill the essence of Coraline's experience at the hands of her sire into one scene. I'm pleased that you seem to think I hit the right balance. Because Coraline returned to L.A., (in a series of mine), the idea of what she suffered has haunted many hours. (Although I had previously said that I'd never write about it.) I've seen it all - in my mind's eye - and it's not always clear how much to put in, and how much to leave to the imagination.

Yeah... sorry about that too... but I think you've done wonderfully here. You've implied what HE did... and it is gruesome beyond gruesome. But you didn't make us watch. And I purposefully haven't thought about it a lot... just assumed it was gruesome. But with only a few words, you paint a mental picture for me; I get the severity; but then you move on and change the subject to the greater pain... and the greater comfort. If Mick isn't here saving me, then he is at least safe and happy. And now vampire again.... cause let's face it... Mick is a magnificent vampire. He's a fine human. But he's a magnificent vampire. He does need to be a vamp. Cora was right all along.

Fortunately, Lance's love for his sister was stronger than his disappointment / dislike of Mick, so he was very careful how much he revealed to her. Lance did get his revenge - in a way - when he visited Mick in L.A. (Family Reunion pt 1.)

Yeah... as I said, love that... one of my all time faves... just LOVE that conversation cause I can soooo clearly see both those actors engaging in it... every word, every gesture, every facial expression... I love how you turned Lance's eye into a familiar comfort for Cora here, btw... not a scary thing but her brother and his quirk... familiar and thus comforting...

Grace, Family Reunion pt 2 is in the works now. :quill: (After Lance's surprise, Mick is trying to defend the indefensible to Coraline, and it's not going all that well...) :noway:
Now THAT"S gonna be an interesting conversation... will patiently wait for that... but definitely anticipating... :rose:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

bluedahlia3 wrote:Oh Phee, this is lovely. It seems strange to say lovely with such a dark fic but you have written the pain so well. The pain of losing her Mick, the physical pain, even the betrayal at the hands of Lance. And then there is the desperation. And the hope that he was able to have some time as a human. This is gut-wrenching. Thanks for the emotional ride. Just beautiful. Dark, but beautiful. :bat:
Thank you, BD. :hug: Somehow, "beautiful" is the last word I'd imagined being connected with the story. In an odd sort of way, it was cathartic to finally get the story - or scene - written. (Even though I didn't want to roll around in those images.)
wpgrace wrote:I know I threw you for a loop... sorry about that... but you produced one of my favorite one-shots as a result with Family Reunion. And I so agree! Lance is a mesmerizing character. He's not a good guy, but he's not all a bad guy either. He's a vampire. And for whatever reason, he easily COULD have killed MIck... but I think as you've shown, out of love for Cora, his own intrigue over this reluctant brother-in-law, and because killing Mick accomplishes nothing in particular so isn't worth the effort right now, he lets Mick live. This is such a new situation for Mick... so yeah, Lance was endlessly fascinating for me and the interactions and emotions among the threesome of Lance, Cora, and Mick is just awkward and riveting to ponder. And you have brought it to life and I am so tickled....

Grace, you mentioned - more than once - that Lance was the only vamp we ever saw get the best of Mick. I think your comment, "...because killing Mick accomplishes nothing in particular so isn't worth the effort right now..." sums up Lance horrifyingly well. :confused2: Lance did / does seem to live by a moral code, but it's one of his own invention. :?

And I'm pleased that you are tickled. :giggle:

Yeah... sorry about that too... but I think you've done wonderfully here. You've implied what HE did... and it is gruesome beyond gruesome. But you didn't make us watch. And I purposefully haven't thought about it a lot... just assumed it was gruesome. But with only a few words, you paint a mental picture for me; I get the severity; but then you move on and change the subject to the greater pain... and the greater comfort. If Mick isn't here saving me, then he is at least safe and happy. And now vampire again.... cause let's face it... Mick is a magnificent vampire. He's a fine human. But he's a magnificent vampire. He does need to be a vamp. Cora was right all along.

Obviously I can't speak for other writers, (although I'm assuming it's basically the same for all of us). A story is a bit like an iceberg. Perhaps 10% ends up in writing, but 90% of the details / back-story exist only in my head. Occasionally things come to light in the form of vignettes, and then it's a matter of deciding how much to reveal.

And ITA, Cora was right all along ... and Mick is a magnificent - if tragic - vampire. :Mickangel:

Yeah... as I said, love that... one of my all time faves... just LOVE that conversation cause I can soooo clearly see both those actors engaging in it... every word, every gesture, every facial expression... I love how you turned Lance's eye into a familiar comfort for Cora here, btw... not a scary thing but her brother and his quirk... familiar and thus comforting...

Excuse me while I pack my bags and go on an ego trip. :teeth: Thank you, honey. :hug:

Now THAT"S gonna be an interesting conversation... will patiently wait for that... but definitely anticipating... :rose:

I'm anticipating / hoping to get that finished within a couple of days. :fingerscrossed: And I fear it's gonna end (with me) in tears.
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I'd be surprised if Mick... and me... don't tear up a bit too... :giggle: (giggling for NOW... probably not so much when I read your piece...)
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

wpgrace wrote:I'd be surprised if Mick... and me... don't tear up a bit too... :giggle: (giggling for NOW... probably not so much when I read your piece...)
Grace, I've been in tears writing it, so I swear, if you are giggling by the time you've finished reading it, I'm gonna quit writing fan fic. :bmoon:

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This was painful to read. Coraline in so much pain, so much cruelty exerted on her, and Lance for once the one being tender - I can almost picture him with his stone cold black eye, her swollen eye matching his in a way. He didn't tell her that Mick was a vampire a week after she left - I think she wouldn't have the strength to deal with that knowledge, that he could have come and safed her, that he wasn't human for six months. I wonder how she will react once she knows. I guess Lance told her later.

Yes, she is always entwined with complicated men. Well, Coraline is a complicated woman too. And she can be cruel and get bored easily and cast people away, just like her sire. Maybe that's why she has no hope left.

A painful story, but this part of her history has been rarely explored, and it was necessary that someone writes it. And you did so with great skill. Thank you.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

francis wrote:This was painful to read. Coraline in so much pain, so much cruelty exerted on her, and Lance for once the one being tender - I can almost picture him with his stone cold black eye, her swollen eye matching his in a way. He didn't tell her that Mick was a vampire a week after she left - I think she wouldn't have the strength to deal with that knowledge, that he could have come and safed her, that he wasn't human for six months. I wonder how she will react once she knows. I guess Lance told her later.

Yes, she is always entwined with complicated men. Well, Coraline is a complicated woman too. And she can be cruel and get bored easily and cast people away, just like her sire. Maybe that's why she has no hope left.

A painful story, but this part of her history has been rarely explored, and it was necessary that someone writes it. And you did so with great skill. Thank you.
Thank you, Francis. :hug: No, Coraline wouldn't have survived if Lance had told her the truth about Mick. He was the life-raft she clung to for those six or so months. And Josef was the one who told Coraline about Mick, after she returned to L.A. (This story is connected to the Josef & Emma series.)

Yes, Cora is a complicated woman - but I believe she has hope. :hankie:

Thanks, again. :flowers: It was painful to write ... but necessary.

RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Coraline is such a delightfully complicated character. I find that my love/hate reaction to her echoes Mick's love/hate relationship with her.

Love what you have done in this story to deepen our understanding of her.
banner by Cprav
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

RangerCM wrote:Coraline is such a delightfully complicated character. I find that my love/hate reaction to her echoes Mick's love/hate relationship with her.

Love what you have done in this story to deepen our understanding of her.
Thank you, Ranger. :hug:

Grace & I intend to do a fourth part to this almost-series. The working title is: Where Angels Fear to Tread.

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Phoenix

This was lovely. Intense and powerful.

It really did make no sense that Mick did not go after Coraline. After Beth had staked her and the human Coraline was in the hospital near death, and Beth said, 'you still care for her' and he said, 'she was my wife'

Irregardless of whether he truly believed her, or not; in spite of Josef's insistence that he let the old vamps fight it out; whether he thought they were 'meant to be' or not--Mick would be forced to go after her and at least try to rescue her. His self image would not allow him to do otherwise

And I agree that there are shades to Lance that were hinted at. It seemed to me that he was impressed with Mick's defense of his sire/ex-wife--especially in light of the obviously vast gap in age and power. At the end, he displayed a grudging respect.

Coraline is right to make Mick face the fact that he bears a certain amount of responsibility for who he became. For the atrocities they committed together.

This is a Coraline who has learned from her mistakes, grown into a better person and is well on the road to redeeming herself. I'm really curious how Beth would handle this turn of events.

Wonderful!

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you so much, jen. :smooch:

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Sigh. Phee, Phee, Phee. You and Red and these fics that make me grudgingly feel for Coraline just make me shake my head. I have to agree that her major crime was simply falling in love with Mick, but all the other destruction she caused in her attempt to keep that love fulfilled is just what I can't get with. However, she seems to be the one paying for this love more than anyone else here.

Although I can't quite agree with the "identifying with Cora" bit as Grace commented, I can certainly say I see her point:

wpgrace wrote:
And she loved him so much to have made it. And I think that is partly why I identify with Cora... her great love of Mick. A selfish love? I dunno.... maybe. She's a vampire; what is the standard? But a great love nonetheless. And do not we all get that? Else why are WE still HERE?
Damn. Busted.

As for Mick and Coraline's confrontation about his non-rescue, Coraline just broke it down until it was all blunt and sharp at the same time -- a no-nonsense straight to the point fact:

Phoenix wrote:
“No matter what you told yourself – or anyone else – it was never about me being a Bitch Goddess; it was all about your pride. You’re the toughest vampire in L.A. and you revel in it. Lance is the only one to ever get the better of you, and your pride couldn’t take that. With your alpha-male ego, it was easier for you to pretend that I didn’t matter anymore, rather than admit that you weren’t strong enough to rescue me. That’s your Achilles heel, Mick.” She opened the door and added, “Just remember that pride is one of the seven deadly sins, so if you’re looking for absolution, I suggest you try a church.”
Wow. I felt that punch to the gut! Just heap some more guilt on his head, huh? But sadly, it reads too true. I also am a little confused that at the end of TMC, Mick the Hero just sort of "let that one go" as far as his willingness to do the right thing. A lot of food for thought, here, Phee, but try as I might, I just cannot help but sympathize with Mick. I'm just a bit more willing to sympathize with Coraline here a little too. (*Ack, ack...did I just say that? Who AM I?*)

I'm still on the fence about Lance, though. He seems nice, but I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. There is something so underlyingly smarmy about his demeanor that I just can't trust him. And I'm thinking that the only reason he spared Mick's life is because he intends to ask for something in return from Coraline in the future. I don't know though..... we'll see.

Nice work here, Phee, really. (Now I read Family Reunion, Facing Demons and Six Months in that order -- is there going to be another part? Family Reunion Pt. 2? Or are we all done here? Because make no mistake -- I could definitely read more!)
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Wow, Moonlighter, you've given me a great deal to respond to - so first and foremost, thank you. :flowers:

Originally, this (ongoing) story was intended to be more about Lance and Mick, than Mick and Coraline. Grace and I discussed Lance at great length, and the first story evolved from our conversations ... then the story refused to lie down, and the others were written. [Grace is a historian, so she was able to offer some fascinating insights into French aristocrats, and beyond that, we simply share a remarkably similar idea as to Lance's personality and motivations.]

There is a fourth (and FINAL) part in the works. The working title is: Where Angels Fear to Tread. Let's just say that there is still unfinished business between Mick and Lance. :eek2: (I'm going on vacation in July, and I'm hoping that a change of scenery will kick-start my creative juices again.)

BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Great way to fill in the blanks loved it.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you very much, BlueEyedMonster. :friends:

The fourth and final part that was planned recently got accidentally erased. (I decided to spring-clean my computer, and wiped out most of my documents, including quite a few I wanted to keep.) bhead2: Perhaps one day, the tale of Mick and Lance's final confrontation - in Grace's and my ML world - will be told.

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

NOOOOOO! :gasp: Oh honey, I'm so sorry!! :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie:

Return to “Family Values ~ Coraline, Lance & Mick”