An Unexpected Gift (Challenge fic #105) drabble G

Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

An Unexpected Gift (Challenge fic #105) drabble G

Post by Phoenix »

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Characters: Coraline; Mick; Beth.

Rating: G

Champagne Challenge #105 (2 hour time limit)

A/N: Just a drabble. :sigh:

An Unexpected Gift.

I tried to give you the gift of a family. And it worked.

Just not the way I expected.

She was supposed to be your daughter – not your lover. Still, even the best laid plans can go awry.

You love her. That’s what matters. Your happiness is the only thing that matters to me.

Even though you hated me for my gift of immortality.

Even after you rejected me and left me to burn.

Even then, I still loved you, Mick.

But you’ll never give Beth the gift of immortality.

So I watch ... and wait.

Time is on my side.

Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Re: An Unexpected Gift (Challenge fic #105) drabble G

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Ah, this is so ominous and haunting. Lovely. (This format is what I thought a drabble was; kind of like a haiku in its lines, a drabble has a set word number count, rather than a line count, of 100. When I wrote mine, that's what I was going for. However, all the drabbles were beautiful.)
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

wollstonecraft61 wrote:Ah, this is so ominous and haunting. Lovely. (This format is what I thought a drabble was; kind of like a haiku where it had a set number count, rather than a line count, of 100. When I wrote mine, that's what I was going for. However, all the drabbles were beautiful.)
Thank you, Woll. :hug:

Yes, a drabble is exactly 100 words. :thumbs: Now I can go and read the challenge fics. :reading:

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Beautiful, Phoenix. It's like a haunting companion piece to my challenge drabble.
Coraline loves Mick and has the patience to wait for him. She never intended for him to get hurt.
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Beautifully done Phoenix :thumbs:

Time is most definitely on her side. :)
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

LOVE this Phee! Your words are beautiful, but even more, this did in fact seem to be her exact point of view by the time of TMC... she was willing to wish him happy and wait it out... :biggrin:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Ah, but is she right? That's the big question. Yes, she has time on her side, but what will she do if Mick does eventually decide to turn Beth?

Very lovely indeed, P.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:Ah, but is she right? That's the big question. Yes, she has time on her side, but what will she do if Mick does eventually decide to turn Beth?

Very lovely indeed, P.

Red
Ah! And that's the eternal question now, isn't it? We've all got opinions and/or preferences... and Coraline and Beth no doubt have THEIR opinions and preferences... but the beauty of it kinda is that we'll never know. So it's a wide open creative field. A song that never ends, as it were... leaving more room for more fanfic!
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

francis wrote:Beautiful, Phoenix. It's like a haunting companion piece to my challenge drabble.
Coraline loves Mick and has the patience to wait for him. She never intended for him to get hurt.
Thanks, Francis. :hug:

:blushing: I just read your drabble a minute ago ... and actually came back to delete my piece. We apparently had the same idea - just came at it from different directions.
coco wrote:Beautifully done Phoenix :thumbs:

Time is most definitely on her side. :)
Thanks, Coco. :hug: :rose:
wpgrace wrote:LOVE this Phee! Your words are beautiful, but even more, this did in fact seem to be her exact point of view by the time of TMC... she was willing to wish him happy and wait it out... :biggrin:
Thanks, Grace. :hug: It was around that time I had in mind when the idea hit me.
redwinter101 wrote:Ah, but is she right? That's the big question. Yes, she has time on her side, but what will she do if Mick does eventually decide to turn Beth?

Very lovely indeed, P.

Red
Thanks, Red. :hug:

And in Phoenix-world, lets just say that in the long run, both Mick and Coraline get a happy ending ... but that's part of a much longer fic. :whistle:

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Very lovely. Coraline does have time and is willing to let Mick enjoy this time with Beth.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Very lovely, Phee. And a very feasible outlook for Coraline. She's got all the time in the world....

Lucky
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

Phoenix -

I aree with what everyone said...Coraline has time on her side - provided Mick doesn't turn Beth....and considering his opinion of his 'condition' I doubt he would.

These 2 hour challenge 'answers' are SO fabulous! I love 'em all!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ooh--Phoenix, this is really wonderful. Such a poem of prose... just exquisite, like one of those tiny, delicate tapestries on the finest linen.

Your story reflects my own view of Coraline's attitude toward Mick--she did what she did out of love. She didn't intend to hurt him, and she forgave him for the horrors she suffered at his hands... and she's definitely taking the long view. I think Coraline is sure Mick won't turn Beth. Now... if he does turn her? Well, Coraline can take the long view there, as well. No relationship lasts forever. She can wait, whether it be 50 years or a couple hundred.

And don't you dare delete this--it's lovely!
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

cassysj wrote:Very lovely. Coraline does have time and is willing to let Mick enjoy this time with Beth.
Thanks, Carol. :hug:
librarian_7 wrote:Very lovely, Phee. And a very feasible outlook for Coraline. She's got all the time in the world....

Lucky
Thanks, Lucky. :hug:
AggieVamp wrote:Phoenix -

I aree with what everyone said...Coraline has time on her side - provided Mick doesn't turn Beth....and considering his opinion of his 'condition' I doubt he would.

These 2 hour challenge 'answers' are SO fabulous! I love 'em all!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Karen
Thanks, Karen. :hug:
allegrita wrote:Ooh--Phoenix, this is really wonderful. Such a poem of prose... just exquisite, like one of those tiny, delicate tapestries on the finest linen.

Your story reflects my own view of Coraline's attitude toward Mick--she did what she did out of love. She didn't intend to hurt him, and she forgave him for the horrors she suffered at his hands... and she's definitely taking the long view. I think Coraline is sure Mick won't turn Beth. Now... if he does turn her? Well, Coraline can take the long view there, as well. No relationship lasts forever. She can wait, whether it be 50 years or a couple hundred.

And don't you dare delete this--it's lovely!
Thanks, Alle. :hug: I had the scene from TMC in mind when I wrote this - and was trying really hard to mentally disengage from where Mick and Coraline are in the Josef & Emma story. :roll:

BTW, the idea about deleting it was because I'd just read Francis' drabble and realized we had the shared brain thing going on. :whistle:

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Shared brain, that's nice. But you don't need to delete anything as our take is so different from each other.
Perspective, dear Watson!

Return to “Mick & Coraline”