ML Locations: Episode 15 - What's Left Behind

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

ML Locations: Episode 15 - What's Left Behind

Post by Lilly »

Moonlight Locations: What’s Left Behind

I will only be listing locations we haven’t seen before.

Updated 8/9/2010 -- added info and pictures for interior of Fordhams' house and the backyard from the flashback

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Courthouse, exterior – New York/Midwest Street, Warner Bros. Studios backlot, Burbank, CA

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. Fordham’s house, exterior – Midwest Street, Warner Bros. Studios backlot, Burbank, CA

This is another of the great houses located on Midwest Street on the backlot. It’s actually situated right between Hank Mottola’s house and the fraternity house from Sonata.

3. Fordham’s House, interior – brick and gray houses, Midwest Street, Warner Bros. Studios, Burbank, CA

Unlike some of the structures on the backlot which are just facades, at the houses on Midwest Street are all working sets. They actually filmed inside at least two separate houses to depict the interior of the Fordhams' West Adams home. The first floor, as seen here, was filmed inside the brick house (used for the fraternity in Sonata) which is located next door.

Sitting area:

The Fordhams' attic is actually the upper level of the gray house on Midwest street:

Complete with trap door:

4. WWII flashback – Forest in ItalyThe Jungle, Warner Bros. Studios backlot, Burbank, CA

The flashbacks to the war were filmed in the Jungle area of the backlot, right by the “pond” where Josh died. It’s really quite remarkable how dramatically the atmosphere of a space can be changed with the use of soft focus and color filters on the camera lens.

5. Park – north end of Echo Park Lake, Los Angeles, CA

The bench that Mick and Leo were sitting on was brought in from the studio. It can be seen again in the park in front of the courthouse later in the episode.

6. Fordhams' backyard, flashback - backyard of gray house, Warner Bros. Studios, Burbank, CA

The backyard and porch were shot from the left side of the back of the house. One interesting note about this house is that it's designed to appear to be a completely different house from the back. It's even painted a different color.

Additional trim and railings were added to tie the look of the back of the house with the front.

7. Hall of records - ?, Warner Bros. Studios, Burbank, CA

7. Ken Verdolino’s house – 1536 Rockwood Street, Los Angeles, CA

This was a hard one to find. The only clues were the buildings downtown and the sports stadium in the background. The stadium has a very vibrant and distinctive mural painted on the side and that was really the key to finding the house using Google Earth.

A street view from Google Earth that I grabbed last fall (September 2009)…

And the house and yard as they looked in February 2010…

The debris has been cleared from the yard and building has begun on the lot. I’m just glad I was able to preserve an image from Google Earth of what it looked like when Moonlight was filmed.

8. Verdolino’s bunker – ?

The location used for the underground bunker is unknown, but most likely at WB Studios.

Information will be updated and pictures added as they become available.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Re: ML Locations: Episode 15 - What's Left Behind

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Lilly~~~this is beyond cool! What a great researcher/photographer you are, and such a neat way to see how the same spaces can be used for different eps/scenes/etc.

Thanks for sharing this with us :hearts:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I'm so impressed that you figured out Ken Verdolino's house. And I'm grateful to you for capturing the Google Earth picture when you did--because it's obviously going to look very, very different!

Thank you, Lilly, for all you do to give us more info on these locations. I find it fascinating.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

You're welcome, ladies. :rose: It's as close as I'm ever going to get to being a private eye. :snicker:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

You :wave: keep us one step closer to ML.
Thank you!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I just added information about the interior of the Fordhams' house. Please check the first post for pictures.

I originally thought that this was the same house they used for the exterior; however, I was only partially right. When we visited the studio in July, we were granted permission to walk through three of the houses used in Moonlight, and as it turns out, more than one house was used to depict the interior of the Fordhams' house. The main level, except for the kitchen, was filmed in the brick house (the one used for the fraternity in Sonata) which is located next door. The attic is the second floor of the blue/gray house that was used in the exterior shots. I'm still not sure where Jacob's room or the kitchen were shot.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: ML Locations: Episode 15 - What's Left Behind - update 8/9

Post by Lilly »

I also just added info and pics to the first post about the backyard and porch area used for the flashback with Lilah. :thumbs:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: ML Locations: Episode 15 - What's Left Behind - update 8/9

Post by francis »

So very cool that Mattola, the frats and the Fordhams lived all in close vicinity. :snicker:
It's magical to see how they took a snippet of this house and a little of that house and mixed it together. Thank you so much for your effort!

Return to “Moonlight Locations”