A Night on the Town ("Window Shopping" from Ep.15) - PG

A place for Lilly's G to PG-13 rated stories.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: A Night on the Town ("Window Shopping" from Ep.15) - PG

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I had never read this before and I am so happy to find it now! I was chuckling and laughing out loud through the whole thing! (Glad no one else is around at the moment!) You surely have these two down to a tee, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

:giggle: :flowers: :thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

“The interior design team of Laverne and Shirley had a Manutti suite delivered to my building yesterday.” He looked to his friend for a reaction, clearly expecting more than the blank stare and subtle shake of the head that answered him. “Manutti! I distinctly said ‘Minotti’ – and I believe I was speaking English at the time.”
Speaking English? OK. Whatever you say, Josef. :confused2:

Priceless, Lilly. :rose:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Me: *Trying unsuccessfully to keep my snickering and laughing down so as not to disturb the family*

Mr. RangerCM: What's so funny?

Me: I'm just reading through these stories again that we selected for the Coffee House discussion this month. Listen to this (reads an excerpt from A Night on the Town)

Mr. RangerCM: That is REALLY good! (he says between chuckles as he comes over to read over my shoulder.) Who wrote that?

Me: Lilly. You know, the same person who wrote Point of Origin (the only other fanfic he's ever read)

Mr. RangerCM: Oh, well that explains it.

'NUF SAID!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
banner by Cprav
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

When we discussed what to showcase for the next Coffee House discussion this story was one of the first that came up. It’s full of snark, situational comedy and fits seamlessly into the show. As I said someplace else, it should have been filmed.

This isn’t only insanely funny, it’s also one of the best characterizations of Mick and Josef ever.
As he waited, the private detective mulled over the possibilities like suspects in a police lineup, carefully considering each option before relegating it back to the shadows of his imagination.
I love how Josef (Joz’f) insults Mick’s car as a „gramp-mobile“. And he’s just warming up the snark:
“Must make sleeping in a freezer particularly challenging.” A slight cough. “Are you still using the blankie?”
And this is just deep:
Mick steeled himself for one of Josef’s “unwritten rule” lectures or, at the very least, a colorful anecdote from his wild vampire youth. But none was offered. Even after half a century, the elder vampire could still manage to surprise him, not only with his creative use of words, but on occasion with his effective and carefully-timed use of silence.
“And a Stradivarius is a fiddle.”
But Mick has some snarky things to say, too.
“Geez, Josef. This thing’s like a damn transformer. Your toys are bigger, but maybe you and Logan have more in common than I thought.”
Oh the irony of the PI doing the breaking and entering. When he does it for a case,it’s okay. When Josef does it, it’s not. The nerve. The double standard. Love Josef’s reasoning.
“We’re not stealing anything, Mick. We’re just window shopping…” Josef grinned impishly. “…from the other side of the window.”
But I can’t go on quoting my favorite bits because then I could just quote every line. Loved the tan and cream thing and Josef’s line about a goat.

And I love the ending, because it just shows why Mick and Josef need each other and why they are friends.

Love it!!!!
:flowers:
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Read this before, on another site--the goat line is still good. Great Mick-Josef banter all around. :biggrin: Shame they couldn't have had more scenes like this on the show.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Just read this as suggested in the Coffee House.

What a well done fic. While this was highlighted as a humerous fic it really comes across as a friendship fic with generous doses of humor. Your research paid off. There were enought little details to make it real without becoming overbearing. Nice balance. Well done, Lilly.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

I'm here via the CH for a re-read. :wave: Apologies for being a little later than everyone else. :blushing:

When the panel had decided to go with the comedy theme, this story was the first one on my list as a suggestion as it has always stuck with me. The humour that runs through it is so spot on and you have Mick & Josef and their banter and relationship spot on.

The section that always makes me giggle:
“Yeah, right.” Mick considered, “What about that cream one over there?”

Josef glanced over his shoulder in the general direction that his friend had pointed. His eyes narrowed and he looked back at Mick. “Where?”

“That one.” Mick insisted. “The cream one.”

“Mick – that’s not cream,” Josef corrected, “It’s ‘mushroom.’ In the eighties, it was ‘taupe’ or, in La-z-boy lingo, ‘tan’ - but it’s definitely not cream.”

Mick shrugged, “It looks like cream to me.”

“Have you ever seen cream that looks like that? It’s been a few centuries, but I’m pretty sure if cream turns that color, it’s time for a new goat.”
Mick and his colours. :snicker:

Fabulous, Lilly. :twothumbs:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Lucky, greenleaf, Carol, MoonlitRose, MickLifeCrisis, Phoenix, RangerCM, francis, Nocturne, NM and coco -- I want to thank you all for stopping by from the Coffee House for a re-read or a first-time look. Your comments mean so much to me. :rose: There are few things I enjoy more than making making people laugh a bit, so this has been a tremendous honor for me. The fact that this piece is still evoking a few smiles -- well, that just means the world. Thank you all.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I've read this story many times, on many sites, but have yet to leave a comment here - my apologies for that, Lilly.

For me, this is the very best thing about Moonlight - in so many ways. First, my favourite relationship, Mick and Josef. So warm, so fraternal, each taking it in turn to be the recalcitrant kid brother or the take-charge elder. Second, a brilliant, brilliant first scene of WLB that left the way open for your wonderful imagination to bring this piece to us.

And finally, a glimpse behind the curtain. An insight into the secret world of these wonderful characters. The dialogue alternately crackles and sings. The setting is wonderful and the pay-off superb. This has no need of hyperbole or angst or melodrama - it just lives.

In years to come, once memory and faculties have faded just a little, I'm sure I will believe that I saw this on screen.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

redwinter101 wrote: In years to come, once memory and faculties have faded just a little, I'm sure I will believe that I saw this on screen.
:giggle: Your whole comment just means the world to me, Red, but THAT really made me smile. :teeth:

Anyone who know me, knows that I love the give and take between these two better than just about anything. If I was able to reflect some of the facets of their relationship in this little bit of silliness, and impart a few giggles along the way, then I feel very successful indeed. :rose:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

Oh I just love this. :hearts: There are so many great phrases and lines, that I can't even begin to quote them, I most probably would end up quoting the whole story!
Thank you Lilly, for this wonderful story! :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I really enjoyed to re-read this when it's featured again in the coffee-house. Priceless banter. So much of Mick's and Josef's quirks are featured here. And for the first time ever I got interested in fine designer furniture.
lynnrxgal
Fledgling

Post by lynnrxgal »

Hands down THE FUNNIEST Mick-Josef story told EVER! No matter how many times I have read this, I giggle uncontrollably!!! Absolutely PERFECT ML banter between our guys. And the cherry on it all is the cream vs taupe section. Did the writers have any idea that we would be ALL OVER THIS??? It's one of the most memorable wtf moments of Moonlight!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thank you, fairytoes and francis. :hearts:

Lynn -- thank you so much for that amazing compliment. :smooch: As for the cream vs. taupe screw up, I have NO idea how that got past the writers, but at this point, for the sake of a good chuckle, I'm really glad it did. :snicker:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Always such a pleasure to come back for a re-read. Every single time, the dialogue is as fresh and vibrant as the first. Perfect. Just perfect. :cloud9: :cloud9:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson

Return to “Lilly's Office”