Negotiable (Challenge #3) - Slash - Minor characters - PG13

A place for Lilly's G to PG-13 rated stories.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Negotiable (Challenge #3) - Slash - Minor characters - PG13

Post by Lilly »

OK. The challenge was to write a pairing you would not normally write. Check.

This is so far outside my comfort zone, I may have crossed the international dateline.

Rating: I think this qualifies for PG13, but if anyone disagrees, I'll be happy to change it.
Pairing: Drake/Shepherd

First published: 1/10/2009

Disclaimer: I don't own these guys. I don't even want them. I'm willing to forget the whole thing. :shock: :roll: :?

Negotiable

“Stevie, baby – I’m telling you the guy’s washed up. His last three pics flat-lined right out of the gate—the studio won’t touch him.”

It’s funny – when you’re on fire it doesn’t matter if you mix your metaphors. It’s all golden. And that’s when everybody suddenly wants piece of you. I switch the phone to my other hand and catch my reflection echoed in the framed Variety cover shot hanging above the bar. Lookin’ good, Jerry. Lose the tie, though. I smooth the lapel of my robe.

“That’s not the line I got on it….” Yeah, yeah, yeah – knock yourself out. “It’s all negotiable.”

A piece of yours truly – Jerry Drake, producer, miracle worker. I drop a couple of ice cubes in my glass and smile to myself. God, I love that sound. Ka-ching. Ka-ching. Like a cash register.

“It’s not gonna happen. Trust me.” Asshole. “The Terminator sequel? Not a chance. The first one was seven years ago – and it was only the eighteenth biggest grosser of the year back then. They’ll be lucky to cover costs.”

I splash some bourbon in the glass and swirl it in my hand, coating the crystal within the crystal. It’s all good.

“Absolutely. Just have Dee Dee call and set something up. Anytime. My best to Tina.” And Jade and Jillian and your seventeen-year-old daughter’s best friend…

I raise my glass in a silent toast and then toss back a long swig and refill before heading out to the pool.

Multi-tasking. If you can’t do more than one thing at a time, you’re screwed in this town. You may be screwed anyway. You’ve gotta know the angles and the shortcuts. And you’ve gotta take risks to get ahead. I run my fingertips down the wall as I double-time down the stairs. That’s when I catch sight of the luxurious blond hair spilling over the top of one of the lounge chairs facing the pool. How the hell long was I on the phone? My three o’clock couldn’t be here already.

Jeans pooled on the ground, a tank top tossed on another chair – I mean, yeah, I’m supposed to be auditioning another graduate of Hooters U who wants break into the biz, and I know all about eager – and desperate – but she’s way too early.

“Hey, Doll…” I start.

Hell-ooo, Sweetheart.”

I stop. That voice. Like a Lamborghini on gravel.

“Donny, baby!”

His face turns with an affected pout. “Jerry – long time, no see.” He waits a beat before he draws back the corners of his mouth and greets me with a slow California drawl, “So, tell me – are you ready to finally take the plunge?”

Jeezus. He’s naked. On my favorite chair. There’s something stuck in my throat that I force out as a half-chuckle, even though I know he’s sure as hell not talking about a dip in the pool.

“Gee, uh – good to see you, Donny.” I squint my eyes hoping to make it look like they’re getting too much sun. “What brings you here?”

“You know me, Jerr…” He cocks his head to one side. “Always looking to spread – the love.”

He stretches and -- geez, I knew he kept himself in pretty good shape – lean, sinewy – but those abs could give Kevin Bacon a run for my money. If he weren’t so freaking unpredictable, I’d cast him in something. Anything. Brooding loner, tortured musician, psychotic killer… But he’s above all that now. Shepherd and his little flock – or family – or whatever the hell he calls them.

“So, Donny, you been workin’ out?” He notices me taking inventory and grins. I continue without waiting for a response, “Nice. Good. How’s the ‘family’?” Messiah for the new millennium. Nine years out and they’re already calling him that. The twisted little punks. I wonder to myself how long the Kool-aid’s gonna hold out.

He gets up, slowly, almost catlike, but there’s this twitch – the way he rolls his shoulders—that kinda throws me.

“Jerry, Jerry, Jerry…” he reaches out, steps closer – too close. “Why don’t you let me enlighten you?”

I take a step back and turn, as smoothly as I can, ducking his outstretched hand. We’re not so different. We pick at people’s weakest thread, spin it to our advantage – and smile while we hang ‘em with it. I see right through him. It’s all an act.

“Sooo, you ready to talk about that bio-pic?” I’m all business as I poke at the ice in my glass, but I’m wishing I had the whole bottle with me. “You’re big, Donny, really big.” Shit. That’s not what I meant. “You’ve got a huge following. You know I’m the only guy in this town who can do your story justice.” The only one who could make a blockbuster out of a goddamned freak show. “Shepherd of a Generation – what d’ya say?”

He’s close again. And I‘m wondering if Kiefer, or that new Pitt kid, could work the long hair like that.

His fingers curl under my chin. I’m taller than him. I shouldn’t be feeling small right now. I look down, focusing on the prominent veins in his forearm. With pressure from his thumb, he turns my face to the side. I let him. I don’t want to piss this guy off. I can use him. He’s like a goldmine. Or a landmine.

It’s just a game with him. Hell, we’ve all got a game. So why do I think he’s playing by a very different set of rules?

His sandy stubble grazes my neck as I swallow my protest. I stand my ground. I can call his bluff. Somebody needs to wash those windows. His hair is tickling my chest. It smells so clean… Shit! What am I saying?? I swallow again and feel his thick tongue slinking up the side of my neck. Christ – he’s licking me. And as he moves around me, dragging his body across mine, he makes this low rumble in his throat and my stomach tightens. I need another drink. Maybe two.

His breath on the back of my neck is growling, “I can show you the way, Jerry – I can open up a whole new world to you.”

God, what I’d give for that voice. I mean, I work with what I’ve got –thin with a hint of nasal is non-threatening and that can be deceiving – and I learned a few tricks over the years. Slow and low. It’s a psychological thing. If you speak slowly, people give your words more weight, and if you never raise your voice, it gives the illusion of always being in control. It’s a trick I perfected after years of practice. For Donny, it’s just raw instinct.

But, I’m not buying his peace, love and brotherhood crap. I’m feeling the kind of “brotherhood” he’s offering – right through the back of my robe.

“It’d be just like old times – without the ladies – or the nose candy.” He’s in front of me again, eyebrows raised high – blue-green puppy dog eyes on a crack-house pit bull. “C’mon, Jerr – for kicks?” He grabs the drink out of my hand, downs the rest of it and heads for the stairs.

What would I do for kicks? Not him. But, for money, or power in this town – or one more week on fire? What wouldn’t I do? Everyone wants a piece of me – and every piece is negotiable.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Negotiable (Challenge #3) - Slash - Minor characters - PG13

Post by redwinter101 »

There is so much fic being posted/re-posted and it's going to take me a while to comment/re-comment but I just wanted to pop in and say how much I adored this piece.

You have brought Jerry Drake to life and made him vibrant.

This piece blows me away with its skill and originality.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

redwinter101 wrote:There is so much fic being posted/re-posted and it's going to take me a while to comment/re-comment but I just wanted to pop in and say how much I adored this piece.

You have brought Jerry Drake to life and made him vibrant.

This piece blows me away with its skill and originality.

Red
Sorry, but ditto! What Red said! This is one of the most amazing pieces I've ever read.
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Red and catmoon - thank you so much for commenting on this again! I knew it would be "different." I was really nervous about it initially, but I just had to write it to get those guys' voices out of my head. :roll:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Trixie
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Trixie »

Lilly wrote:OK. The challenge was to write a pairing you would not normally write. Check.

This is so far outside my comfort zone, I may have crossed the international dateline.

"Challenge = A test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking."

Lilly, I love it when you take on a 'challenge'!
I'd say that you met this one head-on, no ifs ands or buts about it :lol:

This is definitely not a pairing that comes to mind right off the bat, I like how you set it in the 'anything goes' timeframe of the 80's...sort of a nod to the Josef/Mick flashback on the show, and keeping it somewhat 'comfortable' for us readers (at least those of us who lived the 80's).

I also appreciate that you didn't need to go down the graphic path in order for your readers to know where you were going with it, leaving some things to the imagination.

Very well done!
~Trixie

ari
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by ari »

This is really well written Lilly! You definitely met up to this challenge wonderfully
Avi and banner by me

My fanfic index

If you want a PM when I update my fanfic or post a new one, send me a PM and I'll add you to the list
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I just had to pop back for a re-read. This piece lingers in the memory and remains one of the most vivid and original ML stories I've ever read. It really is a triumph.

Red

mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Wow--what an excellent and unique piece of art this story is!! What a very clever pairing you chose here!! This is literally a masterpiece!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :groupwave: :gasp: :hearts: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

Bravo! :rose:

mitzie
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Not sure how I even missed this one...maybe because it was slash, but I checked it out because you wrote it, and I'm glad I did. You never disappoint :notworthy:

OK, favorite line.
It’s funny – when you’re on fire it doesn’t matter if you mix your metaphors. It’s all golden. And that’s when everybody suddenly wants piece of you. I switch the phone to my other hand and catch my reflection echoed in the framed Variety cover shot hanging above the bar. Lookin’ good, Jerry. Lose the tie, though. I smooth the lapel of my robe.
So much is conveyed here. It's all about image. He reflects on the power of his own image, as he catches a glimpse of himself, and then vainly makes an adjustment to his appearance. Brilliant.
banner by Cprav
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Wow - thank you all. Of the few things I've written, this one made me the most nervous, so your comments here mean even more than usual to me.

Red - thank you especially for stopping back. A re-read is one of the best compliments I can think of.

mitzie - as always, your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated.

And, Ranger -- it means a great deal to me that you were willing the brave the Slash-verse to read something I wrote. :hug:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Raven
Fledgling

Post by Raven »

I know this isn't part of the story but I have to acknowledge it 'cause it made me laugh even though I know you're serious...
This is so far outside my comfort zone, I may have crossed the international dateline. :lol:
Jerry's phone conversation reminded me of Josef in Episode 1 when Mick arrived and Josef is reaming out an investor and giving commentary on the side to Mick. And so well done, Lilly.

Love this line...
I splash some bourbon in the glass and swirl it in my hand, coating the crystal within the crystal.
Whoa...chills run down my back...I hear the voice...
“Hell-ooo, Sweetheart.”
:lol: Oh, Lilly...this is the funniest...
“You’re big, Donny, really big.” Shit. That’s not what I meant. :lol:
I love how your stories are so visual. You word things simply...yet the way it's worded...the reader is a participant. It's like...pull up a chair by the pool, have a drink and enjoy the show. Amazing.
Lilly...regular person by day...famous writer by night. :lol:
Thank you TugaFanatic for my brilliant avi.
Thank you moonnoir for my wonderful banner.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thank you so much, Raven :oops: Your comments are always appreciated. :hug:
Raven wrote:...It's like...pull up a chair by the pool, have a drink and enjoy the show.
You have such a way with words yourself, Raven, but --um, if you pull up a pool chair with this story, I think you might want to wipe it off first. :snicker:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I re-watched 12:04 this afternoon and it seems I can no longer do so without having to come back and re-read this marvellous story. You have given Jerry Drake a life separate from (but totally consistent with) that episode and made him utterly memorable. And yes, I know I have an embarrassing number of posts in this thread but I just ADORE this story.

Red

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh. My. GAWD. :thud: Red's right--this is really one of the most original Moonlight stories I've read. It's all tangled up in the horrible, pseudo-carefree late-80's, early-90's vibe, and the voices of Donovan Shepherd and Jerry Drake just sing through it. You've captured the convoluted, "End of the Innocence" feel of the turn of the decade--the point where everybody had to admit that it was all smoke and mirrors (and don't ask what was on those mirrors).

Jerry's a wheeler-dealer who isn't as good as his PR says he is. He's trying to hitch his wagon to a star in the form of Donovan Shepherd - but little does he know that the star is a black hole. :gasp: And Shepherd is just about to go too far with his guru thing... but he's still got that amazing animal magnetism, the allure that even a scuzz like Drake can't help but succumb to. Donovan Shepherd: the messiah who believes his own hype. He's just so... icky.

*shudder* This story is too good, Lilly. No wonder you ended up on the other side of the international dateline. And I've got to thank you for letting their voices out of your head--not only for my sake as a reader, but because I like you as a person, and nobody should have those two guys rattling around inside their heads for very long. It's just not... sanitary. :confused2:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle: What a fabulous comment, alle. Of course when this popped up on active topics, I just had to have another re-read...

Red

Return to “Lilly's Office”