Picking Up the Pieces (Challenge #1) - PG

A place for Lilly's G to PG-13 rated stories.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Picking Up the Pieces (Challenge #1) - PG

Post by Lilly »

This is my take on the the "Picking Up the Pieces" challenge, where authors were given a title and an opening paragraph and asked to finish the story in 1000 words or less.

Disclaimer: I own nothing.

First published: 11/2008

Picking Up the Pieces

She ran out of reasons to stay inside. It was way too early but she couldn’t contain her excitement anymore. Putting a stray strand of hair back into the clasp she pushed the sliding doors to the garden open and carefully stepped barefoot over the rough tiles of the patio.

“Beth! I thought you were going to wait inside. Gramma was supposed to keep you on the phone.”

“I know, Mom, but …” she craned her neck to peer around her mother toward the picnic table newly decorated with festive colors and freshly cut flowers. “It’s not like it’s a big surprise.”

“Honestly, honey – if you wouldn’t snoop around so much, a mother might stand a chance….”

“You’re the best, Mom!” She threw her arms around her mother, gave her a quick squeeze and then ducked past her. “So where is everybody? Emmy? Jen? Where are you? I so know you didn’t have to babysit tonight.”

Giggles peppered with exasperation followed as three teenage girls bounced into the patio light from behind planters, chairs and the old rusted barbecue grill by the corner of the house.

“I give up.” “She’s impossible.” “Nothing gets past her.”

From beneath the trees on the edge of the property, he watched just out of sight, one corner of his mouth drawing up slightly. It wasn’t the first time Beth Turner had foiled an attempted surprise party and he couldn’t help but smile.

Laughter floated up and danced among the helium balloons thrumming together in the soft, summer breeze. Sighs and squeals, the fizz of soda bottles and the ripping of paper wrappings. Pizza with extra pepperoni. Some things never changed, even over a dozen years – not unlike the unfamiliar peace of mind that anchored him there on the edge of celebration.

That first month, back when the bougainvillea was only waist high, he had stood watch every night anticipating the cries that inevitably pierced the darkness. He couldn’t stop the nightmares, responsible or not , but he could make certain that no evil would ever touch her again. He’d closed his eyes, jaw clenched, and waited, until the light flicked on in her bedroom and her mother’s soft voice shushed away the demons.

Eventually, as the terrors shattered her sleep less frequently, his vigils grew fewer and farther between. But he never missed a birthday. Even the ones dampened by the odd summer downpour, the ones held inside and out of sight, were attended – never out of earshot. Her parties, no matter how small, were an affirmation of life and growth, each year a piece to a puzzle that would eventually make her whole.

And this night, ever as silently, he stood in shadow – just out of reach of the dancing glow of paper lanterns that bobbed between the house and the trees outlining the perimeter of the small yard.

“Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Beth….”

What a contrast to those first few birthdays – the ones where the candles remained unlit because even the tiniest, most joyful flames evoked the memory of that fiery night and brought back visions of that never quite forgotten nightmare. Tonight, however, all sixteen of them were ablaze and her face was illuminated not only with the golden cast of birthday tradition but with a new poise and confidence that must have bloomed there when he hadn’t been looking.

Beth was no longer the timid child who needed to be coaxed from behind her mother’s back and who even then held firmly to that one constant in her life – at least the only one she ever knew. With each added candle she had grown more inquisitive, more self-assured, more fiercely independent.

He quirked his head to one side listening to the sound of four young voices – one slightly louder than the rest and just a little off key – singing “I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky...” And he thought she probably could.

He had told himself long ago that the birthday vigil would continue until her eighteenth, that he’d see her safely through the childhood that could have imprisoned her forever, but tonight he knew would be the last. She was well-adjusted and happy. The scars that had marred her childhood were no longer evident. She had healed, even if he hadn’t. He gave a quick and resolute nod in her direction – a wish for a happy life. And, as he pushed off the towering ash that had sheltered him over the years and retreated into his darkness, it occurred to him that perhaps she had never really needed him as much as he needed her – that staying close involved so much more than keeping her safe. Somewhere over the years, while watching out for demons, he found a piece of his own humanity.

------
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
ari
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: Picking Up the Pieces (Challenge #1) - PG

Post by ari »

Very nice!! I like this. Well done Lilly!
Avi and banner by me

My fanfic index

If you want a PM when I update my fanfic or post a new one, send me a PM and I'll add you to the list
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, Lilly--this really hit me:
...it occurred to him that perhaps she had never really needed him as much as he needed her – that staying close involved so much more than keeping her safe. Somewhere over the years, while watching out for demons, he found a piece of his own humanity.
I can so see him standing there, nibbling on his knuckle, watching and listening from the darkness. This short story has captured Beth's childhood so well...and also captured Mick's yearning for her, for some kind of warmth and constancy--and his yearning to be needed, to be of use.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Very, very nice.

Echoes of Finding Innocence here, too. Or echoes of this one in finding innocence.

Quite wonderful!!

Thanks!

:flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Oh, Lilly, I love this! It is so poignant and beautiful. But somehow, I think Beth does need him, maybe not as a protector, perhaps something else....but that is in the future.
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by one.zebra »

Oh! ..the candles remained unlit? ow..heart squeeze...

Did he need her more? Hmm....she got better because he watched over her and she felt safer with a guardian angel...they needed each other. The writers ended it with them together..now our writers finish their story...
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I just re-read this again and am again mesmerized. What others quoted, I could quote too.
She had healed, even if he hadn’t.
That Mick is a damaged soul is tragic. That he knows it is heartbreaking
He gave a quick and resolute nod in her direction – a wish for a happy life.
I can so see him nod that way, like he did in WLB when he got the results of the paternity test; an acknowledgement of something that was equally painful and liberating.

Such a great story, Lilly.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Another revisit to a cherished old friend of a story. :hearts: I loved this Picking up the Pieces challenge... it prompted a bunch of amazing stories. And this one, with its echoes of longing and love and the need for connection, has always tugged at my heartstrings. Well, you know how I feel about Beth... :blushing: but this is Beth through Mick's eyes. And it's such an important turning point for him. Without this day, Mick could never have seen Beth as anything but a damaged little girl. But on this birthday, he let go of that little girl (well, as much as he could, anyway) and began to see Beth as an incipient adult. As a real person. And in a way, I think he freed himself to go on with his own life. Through his watching-over of Beth, he had developed other reasons to go on living. He had a purpose aside from being the guardian angel of one person. :hearts:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Beth has been a constant in Mick's life from the very beginning, no wonder he didn't want to miss a single birthday, it was also one more year added to his recently refound humanity.. And to think he can let go.. :brow: the fountain will be there a while later :thumbs:

I still cannot believe it , such pieces were written years before I discovered Moonlight!! :hearts:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I can't believe I have comments here I never responded to. Image

Thank you all for your kind words. :ghug: As unlikely as it may seem, this short piece is one of my very favorites. There's something about the way it came together for me -- I don't know how to explain it, but it just feels right, even after all this time. :blushing: That it resonates with all of you, as well, is so gratifying to me. :rose:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:hug: Oh my goodness Lilly. Here I was, browsing about, and thought I'd take a look at this... it's my first read. And it's so wonderful! It's SO easy to see him there, watching from the sidelines. And in the graphics challenge from a little while ago I'd had this kind of inspiration too! Even down to the mention of the nightmares! :hearts: It's a beautiful piece of writing babes... and I'm glad... so very happy that the need stayed with him. To be close to her. What would they ever have done without one another? :heart: :flowers: Thank you for sharing it.... :thud:

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lovely, and a bit sad that Mick remains on the periphery of the happy celebration. But then, he relegated himself to the shadows and remained there until he stepped out of them at the fountain.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Terri -- I'm delighted you found this piece and even more so that you chose it as your first read. :blinksmile: :hug: :smooch: :hearts: Thank you so much for your kind words. :rose:

jen -- Thank you for coming back for another read. I love what you said about him remaining in the shadows. It seems he waited until the perfect time to step out and be seen. :yes:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index

Return to “Lilly's Office”