Lifeline - Champagne Challenge #159 - PG

A place for Lilly's G to PG-13 rated stories.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Lifeline - Champagne Challenge #159 - PG

Post by Lilly »

Author's note: I can't believe it's been almost 11 months since I last posted in my office. It hasn't been for lack of trying. Much to my surprise, these 7 lines came together out of the blue -- and in a voice, believe it or not, I've never written before.

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of MOONLIGHT. They speak to me and inspire me, and sometimes they follow me home. No copyright infringement is ever intended.

Rating: PG

Lifeline

Don’t tell me “no.” I’m not going to let you push me away.

I just found you and there’s still so much I don’t understand.

I shot a man for you, damn it, and I’m still not sure how it happened, but there’s one thing I know for certain – you don’t get to throw your life away after I saved it.

Fate brought us together for a reason. I don’t know why we have this connection, but I’m not ready to lose you.

And you’re not ready to die – not now… not like this.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Lifeline - Champagne Challenge #159 - PG

Post by allegrita »

I am so incredibly happy to see this. :hearts: Not just because I'm thrilled to see a new piece from you (although I am! :yahoo: ), but because this is just perfectly Beth, and it fits into the story as if Jill Blotevogel had written it for her. :rose:

There's a moment during the bathtub scene where they decided during editing not to use a short bit of dialogue from Beth, but you can tell she's saying something to Mick as she holds his face in her hands. I remember Jill saying that it was a good call to take it out, because it was something lame about Beth donating blood all the time, so Mick shouldn't worry about taking hers. No, what Beth would really say to Mick at that point is what you have given us. She would speak in that forceful, quiet way she has when she's absolutely determined. And how like her to hit him with the very words he'd just used to her. Mick was so noble and self-sacrificing that she needed to shake him up to make him realize that it was selfish of him to refuse her offer... and it's perfectly in character for her to tell him that he owes her his life, and he doesn't get to throw it away so lightly.

This one's going straight into my personal canon. :bulb:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Lovely, Lilly, and a perfect Beth :rose:

She's been through hell and back thinking Mick had been killed and now finding him 'alive' but on death's door there's nothing she wouldn't do for him. When he pushes her away, you've painted a picture of how all those emotions came to the surface. Fear, relieve, anger at being pushed away only make Beth more determined than ever. :rose:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

ITA with Alle... every word. This is of course what Beth was saying to Mick while she held his face. It's what made Mick sit up and accept her offer of blood. Pitch perfect. :twothumbs:

Thank you! :thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This is absolutely what Beth would say. No question about it.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thank you so much, ladies! :ghug: Your comments truly mean the world to me. :rose:

It's funny -- Beth has never really spoken to me before. I'm not sure why, but as much as I love her as a character, her voice has never been that clear to me. :shrug: I guess she was waiting for the perfect moment to make herself heard. :laugh:

I'm just thrilled that you all feel that this rings true. I think, in that moment, she was feeling so many things -- relief, fear, confusion. Even so, her tenacity was going to cut through all of it. She wasn't going to take "no" for an answer. :blinksmile:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Lilly, I really like this. You captured Beth's gritty determination so well.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

This is so perfectly Beth's voice and Beth's thoughts at this moment. You've really put every expression that was on her face into words. I especially liked the echo of not like this at the end. :rose:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Can't believe I missed this! I'm glad, no, wait, that's not nearly a strong enough word. Let's try just freakin' delighted to see something from you, dear Lilly.

And as always, it's spot on, and perfectly written. :hug: :teeth: :flowers: :hyper2: :notworthy:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thanks, NM! I'm so glad you think so. :rose:

Thanks so much, Shadow! :hug: I'm really glad you like the "echo" at the end. I was sure of that line before I had a handle on any of the others. I think that when Mick said it to Beth, it made no sense to her. She just had to throw it back at him. :teeth:

Lucky - thank you so much! :smooch: :hearts: Even with just seven lines, I have to admit it felt good to exercise those neglected writing "muscles." :snicker:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

Oh yes, it's just perfect! Totally what our Beth is thinking and feeling! Thank you so much! :rose: :heart:

Return to “Lilly's Office”