Stealing Home (M/B, PG)

A place for redwinter101's G to PG-13 stories
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Stealing Home (M/B, PG)

Post by redwinter101 »

ash wrote:Beautiful continuation love. Very sweet though i'm a sucker for Mick as a daddy anyday. A dera fic about family.
:giggle: Glad it's not just me... :hearts: :hearts:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Oh, Red, I'm not criticizing your title at all!

I was just saying that Mick and Beth had earned a lovely home and family together.

A lovely ending, to be sure, but I (for one) hope there is more to come.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh that's fine, Jen. No apology required - I was just adding a little explanation.

The next story is here: viewtopic.php?f=670&t=5559

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Yum..

This is one of those classics that takes the elements of the MickBeth past that I love so much and gives it a wonderful, hopeful and imminently satisfying new beginning.

Just beautiful. Again.

(shutting up now)

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle:

Please don't ever shut up, jen. :smooch:

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

When I discovered Moonlight, the cancellation was a done deal. I can imagine that as most of the rest of you dealt with the trauma, you yearned--as I did later--for some kind of 'happily ever after' yet I have feared it, a bit like putting a period at the end of the sentence.

This delivers a happily ever after--Mick and Beth together, with a family no less, and Marta--a very important person giving them added freedom with the responsibilities of parenthood. This does not wrap everything up with the proverbial pink ribbon (another thing I have been uneasy about). We need challenges to grow and as catalysts for positive change,

There will be problems down the road.

Will Beth ever choose to be turned?

Will Andi ever come to know about vampires?

How will Marta fit into the mix?

Wonderful, wonderful story!!!

Thank you.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

when I saw the title...I thought of the Mark Harmon/Jodie Foster film of the same name.

I was so glad someone popped this to the active posts, and I thoroughly enjoyed the prequel to this story.

So many golden moments in your words....so many true and deep emotions unearthed.

Thanks for sharing,
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks so much, jen and Lucy - it's wonderful to read your lovely comments this cold, miserable Sunday. :ghug:

Red

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

To my everlasting shame, I've never commented on this. :blushing:

This is such a great follow-up to Homecoming...Mick and Beth have moved forward, but not moved completely on. Mick can't let go of the last thing tying him to his past.
redwinter101 wrote:He remembered the pull of this place; no matter how long he had been away he'd never really left. It was a place of memory not a place to make a future. Eight months ago he would have walked through fire to be with her again but now he hesitated over bricks and mortar. The part of himself that resided in the fabric of this space was his past.
But Mick realizes it's time to let go of the past and find a place for all of them to start over.
redwinter101 wrote:The plaster was worn and crumbling, a general air of tired abandonment, of emptiness, as though the house itself were waiting to come to life again.

"Being this close to the ocean has taken its toll - it needs a lot of work." Mick flicked idly at the terrace masonry.
If this isn't just the best analogy of Mick and Beth's new relationship, I haven't read it yet. Mick and Beth have a solid foundation, but they've been through so much - they're broken, but coming back to life and their relationship needs a lot of work. Given their huge differences, their relationship will continue to need all the effort they can put into it, but in the end...it's going to be worth it.
redwinter101 wrote:The rest of his words were smothered in a cloud of crepe and Polish as Marta sought solace in her native tongue, hugging him as her words tumbled around them. "This is going to be our home. Our home for our family. Our whole family. And as a very smart woman once told me, family's about more than DNA. So, say you'll come. Make our family complete."
I LOVED this. Beth said once family's not just about DNA, and this so proves it. Mick's finally found his acceptance, his home, his family. It may not be the way he thought he'd build a family, but he has it.
redwinter101 wrote:All the years he had wondered how his father would have seen his son, the vampire; fear had driven his determination to sequester himself, keep those he loved safe from the monster within. But now, he knew. For all his passions, for all those he had saved, now, for the first time he understood the meaning of unconditional love. A father's love. Smoothing his fingers through her hair, feeling her gentle rise and fall, the thump of her tiny heartbeat, he knew for this child, his child, he would slay dragons.
And this made me tear right up, because nothing gets to me more than any mention of Mick's father, how he'd see the man Mick has become. And for all his love for Beth, there's nothing quite as strong as a man's love for his child.
redwinter101 wrote:"It needs a lot of work."

"Building something worthwhile always does. Building a home. A place of our own." She turned in his arms, "I can't believe we're really here."
And Beth gets it, too. Anything that's worthwhile takes a lot of work.

This is just a lovely gift of wonderfulness, Red. You get a sense of peacefulness and contentment while you read it and smile by the time you get to the end.

:hearts:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:smooch:

Thanks, honey.

I'm so glad you liked the family themes - because that's really what it's all about and I think it's a huge part of what Mick's about.

I'm working on a sequel... and "It needs a lot of work" could probably be the subtitle. :hearts:

Red :flowers:

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

redwinter101 wrote:I'm working on a sequel...
:hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:quill:

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

redwinter101 wrote:I'm working on a sequel...
:woohoo: :hyper2: :yahoo: :clapping: :twothumbs: :twothumbs: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Red:

As many times as I have read this treasure, you would think I would not tear up when Marta realizes that the guest house is where she will live, and when Mick, heedless of the sun, rushes to Andi's side when she has her minor childhood accident on the playground.

Indeed, family is not only about DNA.

So glad this one popped back up on Active Topics!

Lovely!

Jenna
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks so much, Moonlighter and jen.

:heart: :heart:

Red