Sacrament (PG)

A place for redwinter101's G to PG-13 stories
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Re: Sacrament (PG)

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Beautiful story, Red. The simplicity of the scene is striking. I can hear the quiet of the building at 2 a.m., see the glitter of votive candles, imagine the looming height of the church roof...yes, a beautiful story, with a beautiful man...our Mick. Sigh
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I took my time to get ready for reading another redwinter story, because I just can't wolf through them when I don't really have time.

I expected something heartwrenching, beautifully tormenting and sad, this being a sequel to Bronze and all :hankie: . I got some of that, but I feel mostly joy and life :yahoo: . This was such a great counterpart to the pain Mick felt in Bronze. I felt anxious for Beth, feeling her pain at the distance and her fear he would leave her. But the moment Mick began to talk to Father Matthew I knew it would be allright. :happysigh:
These two old men are both wise in their way, and understand each other. Father Matthew is a priest you would want to know. I know someone very similar to him, I think (I'm lucky!).
There's a balance in this story that comes from Mick finding a balance, for the first time he believes what Matthew tells him, and knows in himself that he found a way to live.
Thank you!!! :notworthy:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh AussieJo! :hug: :rose:

mitzie, Mick and Matthew have indeed crossed a great distance between the two stories - I'm so happy you found something helpful in this story. :hug:

Woll,
wollstonecraft61 wrote:a beautiful man...our Mick. Sigh
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: Oh yes, he is. So very beautiful. Let me add mine to the chorus of sighs.

francis, I love that you felt joy and life here - I really feel that Mick's been through enough torment in his long life and now, although there will be problems and heartbreaks, his anguish, at least as far as his fundamental existence is concerned, is over. And how lucky you are to know someone like Matthew. :friends:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Red, I can't begin to tell you how much I love this. I had to read it twice before I commented and I'm still struggling for the right words.

There is such peace here -- and simple, quiet truth. The balance between what is said and what is left unsaid between the two men is incredibly moving. Understanding and acceptance are such enormous gifts to a lost soul. It's exactly what I would have wanted for Mick.

Thank you for writing this. :heart: I know Alle inspired it, but it's truly a gift to us all.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

Oh red. Your Mick in crisis is always such sweet sorrow.

All my favorite lines have already been quoted. Except this one:
Matthew rested one hand on Mick's bowed head, making the sign of the Cross with the other as he said, "Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen. Because us old guys never forget the Latin."
I. Love. It.

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
draco
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by draco »

How I love the talks between Father Matthew and Mick.
I'm so glad he could help Mick once again and cheer him up. :hug:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Lilly, thank you. :cloud9: Mick was expecting a barrage of questions - and it was in their absence that he found acceptance. As for this,
Lilly wrote:It's exactly what I would have wanted for Mick.
there is no higher praise. Thank you.

sbj, I hoped someone else would love the Latin. Because not only does it ring true to me for Matthew, but it's his ultimate acknowledgement that he understands who Mick is. :smooch:

draco, thank you. I loved writing this conversation.

Red :flowers:

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

I always get so excited when I see a new story from Red. :D

This was an absolute joy. Such a momentous meeting with Father Matthew for Mick once again. I love the hope that runs through this story. For me, it really was filled with hope for his future and what he can have if he lets himself have it and I just love that. :ysmile:

The story starts with us seeing Mick through Beth's eyes and her fears about where he is in his mind. I was holding on right along with her - hoping for a better outcome than the one she fears at the start. :fingerscrossed: And again, it is such a striking image - Mick coming home just as Beth is leaving. Is that the state of their relationship at this point too?
Mick's hesitation was brief this time, confident in the sanctuary to be found within.
I love this line considering how much it took for him to enter the church in Bronze. He is so eager for the feeling the church brought him last time once again.
Inch by soothing inch tension leached from sprung muscle; eyes closed, his breathing calmed until finally he could hear the silence.
Again, I love the imagery in this sentence. I'm watching from the corner as always. ;)
Mick heard the arthritic creak as the priest approached and eased his ageing body into the pew, resting a callused hand on his shoulder. "Hello, Mick," his voice warm with the rasp of age.
Such a wonderful introduction to Father Matthew. So friendly and familiar.

I adored the entire conversation between Mick & Father Matthew but I especially love this:
"Well I can see you're a very different man from the sorry soul who hovered on our threshold for days before stepping foot into this house."

"You see a different man. Most people look at me and want to know why I'm the same."

"I see a man. Just a man. I have no idea how you came to be here, but I'm glad to see you again." They settled back in the pew, relaxing into the balm of each other's unquestioning company. "Back then you could barely meet my eye. You had the heavy heart of a man searching for a reason to go on. Now you look like a man who might just have found it."
You have totally captured Mick with this one line:
Mick shrugged and grinned, "Definitely."
That is Mick. I can "see" him shrugging and grinning. I. Love. It.
Grasping his shoulders in farewell, Mick took his leave and strode towards his car, light of tread and heart, turning to wave as he swung the car door open. Matthew returned his wave before turning for the sanctuary of the only place he had ever called home. It had been a remarkable night.
Such a different Mick to the one that entered the church. There is a lightness of step and he seems carefree almost. Such a joy to witness what a truly meaningful conversation can do for someone. :happysigh:
"I'm so sorry." As he drew her into his arms, he whispered, "I'm here. I'm here. Everything's going to be all right."

They settled in each other's embrace, close, tight, together.

It was going to be a beautiful day.
A beautiful ending to finish up a truly beautiful story, Red. :flowers:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Worrying about tomorrow is the death of today'.
Mick took his leave and strode towards his car, light of tread and heart, turning to wave as he swung the car door open
I feel like you've removed all my "worries" about Mick's future with Beth and not even the most depressing darkfic can bring them back. :hug:

Just the thing I needed on a cold, stormy day. You are brilliant, my dear.
banner by Cprav
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

sbj, I hoped someone else would love the Latin. Because not only does it ring true to me for Matthew, but it's his ultimate acknowledgement that he understands who Mick is. :smooch:

Yep... the Latin definitely struck me that way, Red. It was Matthew's way of saying "I know it's really you--and I don't care how it happened." How wonderful for Mick to be given the comfort of the old words, and the huge comfort that what he is isn't important in Matthew's eyes (and, through Matthew, in God's eyes). They're looking at who he is, and saying they like who they see. What a tremendous relief it must have been for him to hear that from Matthew!

Annnnnnd... isn't it what Beth has been saying to him all along? So Mick is hearing from Matthew what she's been telling him, but he couldn't quite believe. And now he knows that it's not just her love for him talking... :hearts:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

And I always get excited when I see a comment from coco! Oh you do my heart good, you really do. I love love love that you feel like you're sitting in the corner, watching this play out. The Mick here is different from the Mick in Bronze - hence his lack of hesitation, his willingness to hear the truth in Matthew's words, to accept his understanding. He's been through a lot and stands on the point of giving himself up to the hope of a happy future - he just needs that final push to make him believe it won't all crumble away. And that's what Matthew gives him.

Plus, I'm a sucker for a happy ending. Hugs to you, and my abiding thanks. :smooch:

RangerCM, thank you. :rose: I've done some terrible things to these characters (I've killed each and every one of them in one story or another) but at heart, I'm a romantic, and I believe that a character like Mick, wonderful, beautiful Mick, will find happiness, in one form or another. I'm so happy this warmed your day.

alle, :yes: :yes: Mick hears what he longs for and more - but it's a testament to the journey he's made, and the depth of his love for Beth, that he's finally ready to listen and believe.

Red

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well. Red, you don't need me to tell you that you write beautifully. But you do write beautifully... I can picture every expression on Mick's face, and I'm just struck once again by how well you "get" Mick.

Kudos, dear lady.

Lucky
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, Lucky - your kind words are much appreciated. :rose:

Red

Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

At first I re-read Bronze, then started with this one and ... I froze ... for a moment I was horrified :eek2: that you told Mick to abandon Beth !!!!
But I told myself :slaphead: : Have faith in Red !
So I kept reading ... and I have no regrets ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
:thanks2:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

That's lovely, Albra. Thank you. :rose:

Red

Return to “redwinter101's Office”