Substitute (challenge 108, C/C, PG/slash)

A place for redwinter101's G to PG-13 stories
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Substitute (challenge 108, C/C, PG/slash)

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks very much, coco and cassysj. Even though Cynthia only appeared very briefly, I was left in no doubt about the depth of her loathing for Mick - a scenario like this would be one possible explanation.

But yeah, I feel sorry for her too.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

It's a horrible, horrible burden - to love someone, to WANT someone and not have them feel the same. To want to be the only one in that person's life and know you can't be. This one grabbed me and didn't let go until the end - I think all of us at one point in our lives have been subjected to this.

Cynthia's efforts to get ready for Coraline are almost painful to witness:
She tore the scarf from her throat, tears of frustration burning. Dress, jewellery, purse followed to the floor. A smeared hand scuffed a scarlet slash across her cheek.
But she regroups...because the prize to be won is too important NOT to.
No longer a servant, she would be more than a friend. An opportunity at last to assume the role she craved. Disentangling Coraline's child-like longing for Mick would take time and persistence and she had plenty of both.
"She called you," she repeated to herself as she drew near.
How many times has any of us clung to a few spoken words as hope?

Then to have that hope dashed...and then to be mocked for having that hope...

The scent hit her as she raised her hand to knock. The heavy pungency of desire. Coraline's laugh tumbling from brittle crystal to almost-moan. Mick murmuring, his voice caressing her skin.
A rustle of silk as Coraline made her way to the door, throwing it wide, making sure she could see. Mick, lounging naked, sated. She barely bothered to draw her robe closed as she leant against the jamb, "Cynthia, how lovely of you to stop by." Her smile hovered on the edge of a smirk. "I'm afraid I'm a little busy right now. I'm sure you understand." She moved close, pressing her lips to Cynthia's cheek, leaving her crimson mark, a brush of fingers along the soft flesh of her throat drawing a shiver.
Hope raised, hope destroyed...and knowing that she'll come back for more of it.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

PNWgal wrote:It's a horrible, horrible burden - to love someone, to WANT someone and not have them feel the same.
Thanks, sweetie - this was precisely what I was going for. This piece had sat unfinished on my computer since the slashathon (months ago @ VLF) - the original idea was for Coraline and Cynthia to find the tables a little turned, with Cynthia holding a few cards and Coraline needing her for a change. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't make it work. As soon as I accepted that this was the way their story should go, it fell together. They aren't equal and never will be.

Poor Cynthia.

Red

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

I could feel her burning shame as that door slammed in her face. Such a powerful exploration of some of the darker emotional relationships we know our vampires must have. As always in your work there is a strong thread of truth about the human condition, the way we hurt one another to meet our own needs. You shine a light on us, Red, and while it's not always pretty, it's always beautifully written.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thank you so much, Luxe. :hearts: :hearts:
Luxe de Luxe wrote:the way we hurt one another to meet our own needs
In so many ways, that's Coraline - her strength and her great, great weakness.

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

How very tragic.

Cynthia understood Mick had no appreciation for the 'gift' that Coraline offered and tried to warn her dear friend--to no avail.

Cynthia had obtained a degree in biochemistry. The obvious reason would be to work with Coraline on the cure.

Very well done, Red. This is heartbreaking.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I got the impression Cynthia had always had Mick's number... and therefore that part of her antipathy toward him was that Coraline perhaps hadn't listened to her warnings... :chin: :chin:

Red

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Lord have mercy, Red -- couldja let my heart out of the vice grip please?? This was so incredibly hurtful to read, and about a character we knew all too briefly.
redwinter101 wrote:The door closed in her face, dismissed. Rigid, hot shame burning her skin, Cynthia's throat closed against her angry plea. She was superfluous once again, Coraline's beck and call leaving her on the outside, always looking in, never gaining the admittance she craved. Swearing this would be the last time, she turned and headed for the car, a laugh from within her final humiliation.
Well damn – no wonder Cynthia greeted Mick with such seething hatred in The Mortal Cure! I actually feel some pity for Cynthia here – no one deserves to be treated that way, but she needs to move on until / and only if Coraline treats her differently.

But sadly:

redwinter101 wrote:As she slammed the car door and fumbled the key into the ignition she glanced in the mirror, seeing the truth she hated.

Never again. Not until the next time.
Coraline just screwed with everyone’s mind, didn’t she? Absolutely wonderful fic, Red, as always. Woman, you just amaze me constantly.

:rose: :rose: :flowers: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :flowers: :rose: :rose:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:curtesy: and :blushing: Thank so much, Moonlighter. I was taken with Cynthia - she really made an impression in such a small number of scenes and I've always wondered about her history with Coraline, hence this story. Coraline does seem to have the power to inspire obsessive love in others and for Cynthia to be so loyal after so long, I figured this was a possible part of their past.

Thanks again for the lovely comment. :rose: :rose:

Red

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I do think Coraline and Cynthia had some of the most slash potential in Moonlight. They way Coraline calls her and then tosses her aside is heartbreaking, even more so when we know Cynthia will still drop her life at a moment's notice for Coraline

Return to “redwinter101's Office”