An Unexpected Gift (Mick, PG-13)

A place for redwinter101's G to PG-13 stories
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Re: An Unexpected Gift (Mick, PG-13)

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

aaarrgh!!! No fair Red! How is it possible that something this perfect can be created in two hours!
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:aaarrgh!!! No fair Red! How is it possible that something this perfect can be created in two hours!
:blushing: :blushing: Hardly perfect!!! But thanks... :rose:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:aaarrgh!!! No fair Red! How is it possible that something this perfect can be created in two hours!
Ditto.
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Phoenix wrote:
Ditto.
:curtsey: :curtsey:

rijane
Freelance freshie

Post by rijane »

Sigh. Mick. Medic Mick. I miss you so.

This was an unexpected direction (in keeping with the theme, I suppose) and it's very well done in general and amazingly so for two-hours.
redwinter101 wrote:It started to spread, belly, muscle, throat, spine, thawing, bringing back to life. Back from the dead, that was how it felt to Mick. So cold for so long, he had forgotten the simple power of warmth to make him feel human again. He tucked his hands under his armpits and curled his feet as close underneath him as he could manage. He winced at the scratchy uniform chafing his thigh; finally he had thawed out enough to feel it.
I love this opening. It leads down one path and then suddenly we're in another - like waking from a dream. Perfect :)

redwinter101 wrote:Mick held up his hands, palms out; he knew she wouldn't understand him but he spoke anyway, "It's okay, sweetheart. We're not gonna hurt you.
Such a sweet Mick here. It reminds me of the interviews I've done with World War II veterans and those memories.

Great work :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, Ri - the girl isn't the only innocent here. Even in war, this was a sweeter, simpler Mick. (I miss him too.)

:heart:

Red

jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

Red, I saw your recommendation for the Unexpected Gift challenge fics and I read all of them this weekend. You were so right about how wonderful and varied they all are.

I was reading your story on D-Day itself - so wonderfully appropriate! The setting was just perfect. They were already grateful for the wamth and protection of the barn and then to receive the simple feast and a child's smile. I'm really grateful ML gave us some of Mick's back story and I love what you've done with it.
I don't know how you do this in two hours!
:reading: Thank you.

A note about the barn: My grandfather's family emigrated from Aberdeen, Scotland to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan just before WWI. He was in his late teens and left quite a few girlfriends behind. In Canada, he told me one time he and a friend went to a dance in a nearby community. They stayed longer than they planned and were very late coming home. It got pretty cold and they slipped into a farmer's barn. He said the beasts were in their stalls and he and his friend went up into the hayloft and buried themselves in the hay to sleep. It couldn't have been full winter because it gets really frigid there. Your story made me think of this again.
:rose:

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

jmc, I'm so sorry it's taken me a while to reply. Thank you so much for your lovely comment - both in terms of the story and your wonderful story about your grandfather - he sounds like quite a man and I love that this story brought back memories of him.

Red

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Red -- that was lovely! It was so nice to see the kindness of a little girl against the evil of war. Nicely done. (And you did this in 2 hours? Impressive!)
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, Moonlighter. Some challenges just bring out an idea (I wish it always happened like that :roll: ).

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lovely account that shows that even in the midst of horrible circumstances, a bit of kindness warms the heart and lightens the load. And the personalities shine thru with only a few words.

Another keeper.

Nicely done. (Please don't be embarrassed, I'm just sayin ya done good!)

thank you!

:hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks for stopping by, jen. :flowers: :flowers:

Red

Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Just passing through for a re-read. Still great. Still loving Red!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I love this story. So glad it popped up again. Mick in Belgium... the warmth, the release, the little girl with sun in her cheeks, the food... and the picture. I really love this little story of a respite from the war. Human Mick has so many stories still to tell us. Thank you, Red. :hearts:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:heart: Moonlighter.

Thanks, alle. I adore medic Mick; it was lovely to revisist him again recently for "Sext" but I think there's still more there (for me anyway).

Red

Return to “redwinter101's Office”