The Quality of Mercy (M/B, PG-13) for rijane

A place for redwinter101's G to PG-13 stories
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: The Quality of Mercy (M/B, PG-13) for rijane

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks so much, Luxe. I just always felt like that moment - Mick and Beth's first time together - had to be more than just sex. It was the culmination of all that had brought them to this point - and all that would allow them to move forward (sadly, only in our imaginations).

catravers, thank you so much. :rose:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Sigh.

There's nothing more to say. Perfection.
We begin here. Like this. Wonderful. :thud:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Back for a reread, courtesy of the Coffee House. Red, your writing is always gorgeous, but this story just sings. It's a prose poem in the best sense of the word--it's somehow so much bigger than itself, if that makes any sense at all. It soars to capture a lifetime of yearning, hope, despair--and finally, the amazed realization of those hopes and dreams. It is sensuous, romantic, deeply moving, and awe-inspiringly sexy. It brings a lump to my throat every time.

I've always loved the quote from which the title comes, and it fits Mick's situation perfectly. It comes from a scene where Portia is describing the difference between justice and mercy. I think that Mick felt that he deserved the "justice" of being alone and unhappy; that nothing good he could ever do would atone for the terrible things he'd done in the past, for the fact that he was a monster. And Beth's love was the mercy he felt he didn't deserve, yet yearned for so desperately.

Moonlight is a story that explored many themes, and I love this one--the subtle theme of blessings flowing onto those who seem undeserving of them, of mercy being granted to someone who feels irredeemable. Mick showed us over and over again that he was willing to give almost anyone the benefit of the doubt. (That's why he got beat up so much--he always tried to give the other guy a chance to change his mind, and he often got suckerpunched.) And yet he couldn't imagine being granted that same mercy... until Beth loved him. :heart:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

francis, you're awesome, you know that, right?

alle, oh you dear woman, what a beautiful comment. :smooch:
allegrita wrote:And yet he couldn't imagine being granted that same mercy... until Beth loved him.
So beautiful. Thank you - I'm incredibly touched.

Red

Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

This is perfect ... so beautiful, so powerful, so tender that my eyes are filled with tears ... tears of joy and bliss. Perfect prelude to "Hum"
:rose: :heart:
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

As others have said before, I heard the hush and the reverence of prayer and felt the grace in this beautiful, quiet story. To love and be loved like this would be heaven on earth.

:reading: Thank you, Red! :heart:

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I am back from the Coffee House. This is really wonderful. This is still my favorite part.

<<Flowing with the bite, my senses overwhelmed. The taste of you, spiked with love, sweet, heady. Your touch, your feel, the thump of pulse and breath as you come. I've taken my fill. For the first time in this life, I hunger no more. A final, frozen moment as I arch, shuddering. I am spent, breathless, complete.>>
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Albra, jmc and cassysj, thank you all for reading and commenting.

jmc - the concept of grace is one of my favourite themes in any kind of fiction (it's SUCH a powerful little word) so I'm especially touched that you found some here.

Red

RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Well, I know this was a re-read for me, but for some reason I don't see any comment from when it was first posted! Ahhhh. That's it! Looking at the date, I'm thinking I read this when we were on our vacation to NYC and the east coast. I probably just had barely enough time to read before I had to share the laptop with others wanting to post pictures and check Facebook! :snicker: :snicker:
ANYWAY....... This is just so beautiful. Redwinter, everything your write is just so poetic and special. I would have loved to have read this out loud too but I've got a house full of 12 year olds here for my son's "spring break" sleepover....... might be a bit TMI for them! But I agree that this just screams to be read aloud, slowly.... so that the words flow over and through you. :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: May just have to re-visit this one when I'm alone :heart: :heart:
banner by Cprav
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thank you kindly, Ranger - that's so lovely of you. As I said above, it is a total delight that you want to read this aloud - but I agree about the need for a lack of a youthful audience! :snicker:

Red :hearts:

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Happy sigh.

This deserves to be read again and again.

:hearts: :flowers:
Last edited by jen on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
lynnrxgal
Fledgling

Post by lynnrxgal »

This is as close to perfect for a post-Sonata tale that can be. Can it truly have been 2 years now? At times it seems much less, and lately is seems to be more, with Hawaii Five O and The Back Up Plan swirling in the Hollywood steam. That being said, I, personally, will NEVER let go of the perfection of 16 episodes of Moonlight.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

jen, Lynn, thank you both. :hearts: :hearts:

And Lynn, me neither. :giggle:

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

There are many, many wonderful examples of superb fan fiction at this wonderful site, but this one is special. Lynnrxgal was precisely right upthreat when she said that this is close to perfect for a post Sonata fic.

It is the close of one cycle and the beginning of another, satisfying and the last line is classic...
we begin here.
Thank you

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:rose:

Thanks, jen.

Red