Moving Up in the World - (Fic Challenge #101) PG-13

A place for PNWgal's G to PG-13 stories
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Moving Up in the World - (Fic Challenge #101) PG-13

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

PNW - this was delightful! What a great backstory to the FOS and a very enjoyable look at Mick and Josef's friendship.

I reread darkstarrising's A Snow Angel for Christmas which had floated to the top, which led me to the Coffee House, which led me here. Can I ask what the original Challenge was that inspired you to write this?
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Jen,

I'm here on a return visit from the Coffee House....

The first time I read this, what attracted me was the banter between Mick and Josef...it was so on key, so right. Josef had something he wanted to do right then, right now, regardless of the fact that Mick was really beat and wanted nothing more that to crawl away to his freezer and sleep.

What I failed to appreciate the first time around was that Josef was preventing Mick from doing just that for the rest of his life - crawling away and hiding. He had finally broken from Coraline and had made a business for himself. It was time to start over. but even in his genuine interests for his friend's well being, there is the classic Kostan snarkiness.
Look." Josef had suddenly lost all patience. "Your current place is a sty. I've checked into the landlord there - he's too busy with his other properties to worry about your run-down building. Besides, this is your chance to make a fresh start. New office, new apartment...new life."

Mick rested his hands on his hips and looked down at the polished hardwood beneath his boots. Josef was right - this WAS his chance to start fresh. He lifted his head and held his hand out to his best friend.

"Thanks, man...thanks for this."

Josef clasped Mick's hand warmly and gave him one of his rare genuine smiles. "You are most welcome, my friend. I'm just happy I won't have to dry clean my clothes after a visit to your home in the future."
Sill love the line about the gargoyles. It's something only a guy would notice.

But the ending is the icing on the cake....a new office, a new home, a new client, one that would ultimately lead him to a new life.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

Wonderful story !
Josef behaves like father or older brother towards Mick - this is genuine friendship ...

Thank you :rose:
:thanks:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Just came back by for reread.

Still delightful. I love the line about 'early crappy office'

I know early crappy office. I don't think I invented early crappy office but I do believe I have taken it to new heights...or is it depths. In short, I have made it my own. I live there. When I'm not here.

Wonderful backstory.

:hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Hi PNW! All the MLA birthday/anniversary wishes led me here today, and wow! I'm so glad!

I love reading Mick and Josef friendship fics. They are truly brothers, and I love how you have Josef helping Mick move along in his new life journey. The ending makes it come full circle. You are so talented and clever in how you manage to bring us the raw beginnings of the FOS, England and Beth all in one piece. But most effectively you bring us the depth of Josef's feelings about Mick and Mick's about Josef. So nicely done.

"Early Crappy Office" :rolling: Perfect Josef snark.

I'm just jumping for joy at all these lovely stories I'm finding for myself today!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Yum!

This is one of those delicious little morsels that provide depth and dimension to the Moonlight universe. Something we would have been deprived of if not for the wonderful imaginations of the writers here.

I am forever in your debt.

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I love it when I re-read a story that I haven't read for a loooooooooong time and precisely the same things strike a chord as they did the first time around.

Early crappy office is STILL a great line - and the genuine warmth and affection (hidden beautifully behind Josef's disdain) still comes through loud and clear.

Just lovely, honey.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Thanks, Red. :hug: I love it when an old story makes an appearance again!

I'm glad you enjoyed this as much this time around as you did the first time. :smooch:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

The fabulous chemistry between Mick (Alex) and Josef (Jason) produced some of the most amazIng character interaction of the series. It has provided a medium for some wonderful fanfic and this is a stellar example.

I've enjoyed this many times, and still find new delights in it.

The gargoyle line is classic--it is something a guy would notice. And early crappy office :rolling:

For all the secrets Josef keeps, and Mick probably doesn't know more than a tenth of them, he has been a good friend to the P.I. and vice versa.

Thank you for writing this wonderful little fic!!!!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Last edited by jen on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Thanks, Jenna. :smooch:

Some of my favorite ML moments are between Mick and Josef, and I love any fic that really hits their relationship - a deep and abiding friendship. I'm glad you think I hit the mark. And I agree...Josef may keep a lot of secrets, but he's been good to Mick, and vice versa.

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

:bump: :flowers: :hearts: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Noticed something else about this delightful fic--probably won't mean as much to the rest of you, but the day this fic was posted was the day I saw my very first episode of Moonlight.

:melts: :melts: :melts:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I'm re-reading some old favorites. Early crappy office :rolling: This was quite an important day for Mick.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Carol, I can't tell you how much I needed that today. :hug:

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

OMG, it's been aaaages since I read this!! I LOVE this!!! Thanks so much, Cassy, for popping it back up. It's simply delightful--perfect Josef snark, perfect friendship between two absolutely different, but totally simpatico vamps. (Both of whom happen to be favorites of mine, you might have noticed...) :laugh:

Thanks, dear Pgal, for writing this fabulous story.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Really enjoyed the re-read of this one! So glad it popped to the top!

:ghug:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.

Return to “PNWgal's Office”