Don't Let My Heart Go Cold (PG13) - (12/24/2010)

A place for Nutmegger911's G to PG-13 stories
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Re: Don't Let My Heart Go Cold (PG13) - (12/24/2010)

Post by nutmegger911 »

allegrita wrote:What a lovely, poignant, and emotional piece. Alone, he can express his inner feelings and think over his fears and regrets; but as soon as he's back among others, he snaps back to the all-business, consummate businessman. He's got the money to buy this property, and preserve this place that's so important to him. And I'm glad he's doing that... because memory is sometimes all we have to tie us to the past. And stretching back hundreds of years, those memories would naturally grow dimmer and more tenuous. At least now he's got something solid to tie those memories to.

I loved his musing over the word "beloved." It's a beautiful word, and I agree with him that it's a shame the word has fallen out of normal use.

Thank you for this thoughtful and melancholy story.
Thank you so much, Alle. You are right about the memories. They are so important and yet such a tenuous connection - and something he can only really reflect upon in private.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

cassysj wrote:Lovely. You paint such a picture with your words. I also like his thoughts about the word Beloved. But as soon as the "real" world invades he is back to his public persona.
Hi Cassy,
I'm glad you liked it. His musings about beloved seem to have struck a chord. Thank you.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

wpgrace wrote:You know, I think it is hard for us who grew up with photographs and home movies and video to really appreciate, as Alle noted and this fic explores , how important sheer memory was to sense of self back in pre vid times. And always will be for our vamps.

And the way to connect to those memories is thru something tangible that becomes symbolic. This is a lovely, insightful piece, NM.
Thank you so much, Grace. :smooch:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

you gave us a snip of the images and built them so clearly I felt it all......Thank you for answering the challenge. :wave:
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Lucy wrote:you gave us a snip of the images and built them so clearly I felt it all......Thank you for answering the challenge. :wave:
Hi Lucy, :wave:
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I appreciate your reading and commenting.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

I like that you didn't name the vamp in this piece, NM, but I'm with everyone else -- my guess is that it's definitely Josef. I also love the idea that he had someone he refuses to forget, someone that makes him want to hold on to a piece of his past. But in usual Josef fashion, once he is away from his private thoughts, he's back to all business. Thanks for this peek into his private thoughts, if only for a moment.
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Thank you, Moonlighter, for your wonderful comments. I too, saw Josef, but decided not to spell it out in the story because, in reality, it could be any vamp.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

nutmegger911 wrote:[He shivered. How long before the elements obliterated it entirely? And how long after that before an eternity of new experiences eroded the last few traces of her from his own mind?

It would be the death of him if that happened. Her memory – the embers of their passion – was all that warmed his cold heart any more. Standing here with her the decision was easy. He couldn’t stop time, but there was something he could do.
Such a touching short story, nutmegger911, it could be Josef, it could be just any vampire who has had a long life behind him. It reminded me so much of a very wonderful greek song that goes...I am crying because I forgot you and not because I don't have you anymore

Just thought I 'd share with you, it is such a wonderful song and could well be the thoughts of a vampire on his past beloved ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFOceBm557k
Last edited by maggatha3 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Nutmegger

This jumped back up to the top of Active Topics and I read it again. For the first year or so of my time on the Board, I never visited Active Topics, and now it is the first place I go, but I digress.

This is fabulous. The vampire returns to the past site where his lost love rests, much as someone near frozen in the cold will seek out the warmth in the gloom. An eternity without love must be a very cold, dark and lonely place.

Thank you for writing this treasure!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Maggetha - I'm so glad you liked the story. Thank you for the link. The song is beautiful. :hearts:

Jenna - You're welcome. And thank you so much. :hug:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I really enjoy revisiting old challenges. Josef returns to a part of his past.
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

This is very touching. The unnamed vampire is slowly losing memories from his previous lives. His memories of his Beloved are slowly fading, and he has forgotten some of his native tongue. I hope that acquiring the property helps him to preserve his remaining memories. :hearts:

Thank you, NM! Nicely done! :rose:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is one of those fics that needs to be read once a year.

As the vampire in the story (and I still adore that you never really identified him) returned time and time again to that place--to a physical place that connected him to a past love that grounded and still warmed him, we return here and remember a wonderful little show that warmed us.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Marigold wrote:This is very touching. The unnamed vampire is slowly losing memories from his previous lives. His memories of his Beloved are slowly fading, and he has forgotten some of his native tongue. I hope that acquiring the property helps him to preserve his remaining memories. :hearts:

Thank you, NM! Nicely done! :rose:
Thank you so much, Marigold. Preserving memories takes on a whole new meaning when you live so long. This is one he wants to keep.
jen wrote:This is one of those fics that needs to be read once a year.

As the vampire in the story (and I still adore that you never really identified him) returned time and time again to that place--to a physical place that connected him to a past love that grounded and still warmed him, we return here and remember a wonderful little show that warmed us.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Oh, Jenna! :smooch:
What an insightful observation.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

There's something very moving about this piece. The line about 'Beloved'.... that gets me every time.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks

Return to “nutmegger911's Office”