Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 12: The Mortal Cure

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 12: The Mortal Cure

Post by allegrita »

They did look gorgeous, didn't they? And this is the first time I remember Beth having such dark lipstick. It really emphasized the pallor of her face, which worked very well in this case. She looked like someone who had tried hard to cover up the evidence of her crying with makeup.

The one thing that has ALWAYS bothered me about this scene, and I'd love to know if it was just ad-libbing or if they wrote it that way... They say "OK?" THREE times in very quick succession. I know that Moonlight has a bunch of "OK OK" scenes, but three times?! It just... jumped out and bit me. I wished they'd taken one of them out.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This was painful to watch because it was so genuine, so real. There was nothing to say that wouldn't have hurt both of them. There was just no way to gloss things over. Their emotions were raw. And the make-up people did a great job of making their faces (both in my opinion) look haggard and as if they cried their eyes out.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

I loved this opening scene. Beth's still struggling so hard with losing Josh, and seeing reminders of that day just make it that much harder. But she's strong, and holds it together in the police station, even when the cop brings up Mick.

What frustrated me a bit is when Mick runs into Beth, and he says to her "This is ridiculous." I wish they'd chosen a different word than "ridiculous". Beth just lost her boyfriend, she'd begged Mick to Turn him. She's in an emotional upheaval and Mick STILL doesn't get why Beth can't let it go, or stop being angry with him.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I get Mick's frustration. He really, really tried. And he's already explained to Beth why he didn't (couldn't) Turn Josh. And now she won't even say 'hello'? So, yeah, I get it. But I can't help feeling that he's selfish and his timing is all off - he's not getting that she needs some space. Which, personally, is why I think she couldn't even stop to say 'hello'. She's barely keeping it together and when she tells him she's 'really trying' to understand him I believe her, but it's not going to be overnight.

The opening scene worked for me. Although, all the flashbacks annoyed me. I felt like they didn't have enough material for a whole episode and were filling it in with stuff like flashbacks. A couple, I can understand but they practically revisited the whole ending of LLF.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Mick’s home. He’s getting off the elevator and, apparently, something is off. He hesitates. He sniffs. His VO tells us that as vampires age their smells becomes more potent from decay. He cautiously makes his way to his door and sniffs again. He continues on to his office door and does a longer sniff. He’s picking up a looooot of decay.

He enters through the office, quiet and alert. From somewhere, he pulls out a silver dagger (looks like a letter opener). And he makes his way up the stairs.

He appears on the balcony and he’s not alone.

The visitor calls Mick by his name. Mick says he doesn’t think they know each other.

The intruder says that’s true. They’ve never met but he’s sure Mick’s guessed by now that they’re kindred souls. Mick wants to know what this is about.

Tall, Dark and Scary says he’s hoping Mick will help them find someone. Mick wants to know who that might be. Well, well. They’re looking for a vampire named Coraline. Mick replies that he doesn’t know anyone by that name.

TD&S describes Coraline (tall, dark hair, mysterious, incredibly sexy) and has his minion hand something to Mick.

The paper Mick was given is his and Coraline’s marriage certificate. The intruder knows that she Turned Mick on their wedding night.

Mick tells him that was 50 years ago. They haven’t been together in a long time. He wants to know why they’re looking for her.

She took something from him. Mick wants to know why he should help them.

T,D&S smiles *shiver* at Mick and says he’ll be seeing him. Mick watches as they leap over the side of the balcony.

Mick looks over the side of the railing. The old vampires had landed on a balcony below. They leap again.

WTF? What’s Mick been dragged into now?
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Lance was such a scary presence. In this scene I almost (sacrilege) felt that Mick was out of his league.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Totally.

Josef embraces his vampirism, too, but he is a friendly presence. Mostly.

But Lance?

Seriously scarey. Wish we had gotten a glimpse of the world Lance came from, but that is just a tiny facet of what could have been explored in that second season.

Thanks

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

francis wrote:Lance was such a scary presence. In this scene I almost (sacrilege) felt that Mick was out of his league.
Oh, definitely. But he held it together pretty well. Mick wasn't going to give anything he didn't have to.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Shallow moment first - Mick doing that sniffing thing. :melts: :melts: :melts:

I LOVED Lance - best best guy EVER. Mysterious and scary as hell, that black eye makes your blood run cold.

I agree with francis - Mick is WAY out of his league with these guys. Even Josef will tell him so. And how creepy is Lance describing Coraline as "incredibly sexy"? I know we don't know yet that they're siblings, but...big yuck. :blecch:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Pgal wrote:And how creepy is Lance describing Coraline as "incredibly sexy"? I know we don't know yet that they're siblings, but...big yuck.
I always assumed that they were not siblings by birth but consider themselves as such because they were Turned by the same sire.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

The best thing about Lance is that you immediately know how dangerous he is, even though he does nothing overtly threatening. It's all attitude (well, that and the scary eye and the air of immense age...)

And yeah, I don't know if they're blood siblings or not, but for Lance to say Coraline's incredibly sexy is incredibly... icky. And creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Mick needs answers so he goes to the only person he knows who would have them. Josef’s at a vampire club (thought there wasn’t a club where they all hang out!?) playing (hustling?) pool. When Mick comes in Josef is complaining about how easy it is to beat the newbies.

Josef goes to hand Mick a cue but he says he didn’t go there to play. Josef’s disappointed and tries to wheedle him. 8 ball? 9 ball?

Mick tells him a couple of medieval vampires showed up on his roof looking for Coraline. And something she took from them. Josef circles the table as Mick tells him the main guy knew everything about him. Josef throws Mick a stick and he catches it.

Josef asks about the other guy and Mick says he just stood there like an indentured servant. There was something about these guys - it was like they were from a different time.

Josef asks what they look like. Mick says the talker was big - 6’1”, 200 lbs., dark hair. Strong, confident. Josef smirks and says it sounds like Mick has a crush. Mick’s not laughing.

Josef clears his throat and asks if there was anything else. Mick tells him about the eye - that one of them was jet black with a stone cold stare. THIS gets Josef’s attention. “Lance”. Mick repeats the name and wants to know if Josef knows the guy. Josef tells him he knows OF him.

Josef says the guy is legendary, not like other vampires. Mick wants to know why he’s never heard of him. It’s because the guy doesn’t need to blend in with society. He makes Josef look like a pauper.

He lives under his own rules. It’s the first time Josef’s heard of him in decades. He never leaves Europe.

Mick wonders allowed what it is that Coraline could have taken. Josef asks who cares, and tells Mick to look after himself.

Josef warns that you don’t mess around with this guy.

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

OK, I had two totally random thoughts scrolling through the screen caps and saw all the 'illustrious' vamps of the past in the background. First, they're all men - which is ok if this is a men's club. The second thought is it would have been hysterical if they had put a picture of a certain male network head on the wall :giggle: .....man, I'm way too tired....
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:giggle: Think maybe that woulda saved the show? If they'd have let Les be a member of the club?
This was such a cool story line... and Lance SUCH the cool villain... if only if only if only if only if only if only... :sigh:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

darkstarrising wrote:OK, I had two totally random thoughts scrolling through the screen caps and saw all the 'illustrious' vamps of the past in the background. First, they're all men - which is ok if this is a men's club. The second thought is it would have been hysterical if they had put a picture of a certain male network head on the wall :giggle: .....man, I'm way too tired....
You know... The picture on the wall behind Josef when he says 8 ball? Mmmmm...

Return to “Episode Discussion”