Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 11: Love Lasts Forever

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 11: Love Lasts Forever

Post by PNWgal »

librarian_7 wrote:I think he also points out at the beginning of FtP that he's been human for 6 days, 8 hours, and 42 minutes (but who's counting, right?) as he wakes up and heads off to have that famous picnic at the beach. I guess there is a question of how long passed between LLF and the events of TMC. But if Josh's funeral was at the end of TMC...it can't have been more than a few days.

Lucky
The timing of all this is making my head hurt. :laugh:

Depending on how long everything took, Josh could have been gone up to a week or even two before he was laid to rest. At the funeral, Mick was very human, and very beat up, so I've always gone on the assumption that Coraline gave him the cure and he got the crap kicked out of him the night before Josh's funeral.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Then they must have been on the beach for six weeks. :chin: No wonder Mo was seething that Beth didn't show up for work. :rolling:

Yeah, the wounds must have been healing VEEERRYYYY slow. :snicker:
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

Some absolutely wonderful, insightful comments here, but that is to be expected considering this board has fabulous writers. I just want to make a few comments. While I agree Beth should have been allowed to mourn longer, we have the problem of Mick being human, and at least for the first 6 days or so, not taking advantage of it with Beth because it would have been inappropriate since her boyfriend had just been killed. How many of us would have loved to see a mortal Mick with Beth finally consummating the relationship? It is indeed a shame that the timeframes got messed up such that Josh's death and Mick's time as a mortal were so close together. More about that in the paragraph after next.

I personally think that some of the guilt Beth felt and then tried to lay on Mick was related to her telling Josh to go ahead with the case. If he had excused himself from the case, he would still be alive. She probably also felt some guilt since Josh had made sure Beth would be protected and hadn't worried so much about himself. Guilt feels extremely uncomfortable and it is easier to lay it on someone else than to deal with it. Beth was really hurtful to Mick particularly when she asked why did he go on living.

I believe that I read at the time that either someone or something - maybe CBS - wanted the final four episodes to be stand alone. It was my understanding that they were hoping to attract more viewers, particularly more of the kind in the key demographics. They were looking for new viewers - hoping to keep the current ones - but desperately wanting to get new ones. I believe that FTP was designed to be a faster paced, heavily procedural episode, but also to have the roof top scene there to appease the fans who had been waiting for Mick to initiate a kiss. I remember how a group of us at Paley who saw the roof top scene before we saw the full episode went crazy because of the kiss, and that is what the producers wanted but they wanted new fans too. "Click" were certainly geared to a younger crowd and to me was totally out of place (why would Mick all of a sudden go so public and be so out in the daylight) although I think some on this board think "Click" has the best screencaps. It was the one episode I can truly say I felt was just so so.

Anyway, I know I am rambling somewhat but I think that Moonlight was truly a victim of the writers strike and that even with all the backstage stuff going on, might have gotten a second season if the strike hadn't messed up the whole continuity in terms of the first 12 and the last 4.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Moonlightsonata wrote:While I agree Beth should have been allowed to mourn longer, we have the problem of Mick being human, and at least for the first 6 days or so, not taking advantage of it with Beth because it would have been inappropriate since her boyfriend had just been killed. How many of us would have loved to see a mortal Mick with Beth finally consummating the relationship? It is indeed a shame that the timeframes got messed up such that Josh's death and Mick's time as a mortal were so close together.
I agree with that last statement, MLS. As a foaming-at-the-mouth Mick/Beth'er, I would have loved to see a mortal Mick enjoying his time with Beth, but not after six days. The timing between TMC and FtP should have a few months, not six days - and actually would have fit nicely with the HUMONGOUS break in between those two eps.
Moonlightsonata wrote:I personally think that some of the guilt Beth felt and then tried to lay on Mick was related to her telling Josh to go ahead with the case. If he had excused himself from the case, he would still be alive. She probably also felt some guilt since Josh had made sure Beth would be protected and hadn't worried so much about himself. Guilt feels extremely uncomfortable and it is easier to lay it on someone else than to deal with it. Beth was really hurtful to Mick particularly when she asked why did he go on living.
Spot on, and very nicely put! Beth DID feel guilty, and she tried to pass that guilt on to Mick for doing what he felt was the right thing. If she can convince Mick that he DIDN'T do the right thing, it's easier for her to deal with the guilt of indirectly putting Josh in danger in the first place.

Beth indeed was very hurtful to Mick, but I really think it's because she wanted him to hurt as much as she did, and lashing out was the only way she could.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Still does not excuse her behavior to me... harummph.
Just could not ever get over her behaviour towards him... tho I was gratified that she is the one who made the move in FtP...
FINALLY she did soften up again... and while I'd been pissed at her for 3 months, SHE thought it was only a week... :rolling:

THAT was one of the things that the writers just got so wrong tho... they had allllll those months and in FtP they acted like it had just been one week.
Why they didn't go with the mixed blessing they had been given of that hiatus, I will never understand... but I am SO digressing at this point...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Honey, your attempts at self-moderation are laudable. And very amusing. :smooch:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

darkstarrising wrote: When the writer's strike came along, the show had developed its stride, so to speak, then came to a screeching halt for what, 12 or 13 weeks? Had that interruption not come along, would the episode following 'The Mortal Cure' have been the one we saw as 'Fated to Pretend'? Somehow, I don't think so....
It was my understanding from some ML site that FTP was an amalgum of FOUR episodes where Mick was human. Remember the four stories that Mo had on the zip drive? They were each supposed to be one episode.

The writers had to be prepared in case the strike didn't happen and they got a full 22 episode season. Of course, I can't prove this because I don't remember where I read that. (The downfall of visiting a lot of ML sites for over two years.)
Moonlightsonata wrote:I personally think that some of the guilt Beth felt and then tried to lay on Mick was related to her telling Josh to go ahead with the case. If he had excused himself from the case, he would still be alive. She probably also felt some guilt since Josh had made sure Beth would be protected and hadn't worried so much about himself. Guilt feels extremely uncomfortable and it is easier to lay it on someone else than to deal with it. Beth was really hurtful to Mick particularly when she asked why did he go on living.
Totally agree with this. Beth is deflecting guilt. She was more responsible for his death than Mick was. Mick is just a scapegoat.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

r1015bill wrote:
It was my understanding from some ML site that FTP was an amalgum of FOUR episodes where Mick was human. Remember the four stories that Mo had on the zip drive? They were each supposed to be one episode.

The writers had to be prepared in case the strike didn't happen and they got a full 22 episode season. Of course, I can't prove this because I don't remember where I read that. (The downfall of visiting a lot of ML sites for over two years.)
Oh that makes me crazy!!! :slaphead: That woulda been so good if they'd gone with the full 4!!!!!!

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Condensing four episodes into one makes Talbot's behavior more understandable as well. In the beginning of FTP, he couldn't stand Mick, yet before the end of the episode, he was working with him and Beth. If there had been four episodes, that turnabout would have been more credible.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

I get so cross whenever I hear those sorts of snippets. I feel totally cheated. I'd love there to be a challenge on what might have happened in those 'lost' four episodes.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

darkstarrising wrote:Condensing four episodes into one makes Talbot's behavior more understandable as well. In the beginning of FTP, he couldn't stand Mick, yet before the end of the episode, he was working with him and Beth. If there had been four episodes, that turnabout would have been more credible.
And could have made Beth's mourning period more realistic as well. Imagine if the beach picnic had happened later in those episodes. Maybe we should discuss this more after next week's episode (she says trying to stay on topic).
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I posted this blogger's review of last week's episode - and she's done it again this week:

http://billiedoux.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... rever.html

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:giggle: I particularly enjoyed this observation:

• That was Chris Isaak’s sultry “Wicked Games” playing over Mick’s ripply naked body in the opening scene. Okay, I’m back now.

I don't blame her for going a bit walk-about. :devil:

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

With the tiny problem, though...that isn't "Wicked Games." It's not even Chris Isaak.

Lucky
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Love Lasts Forever (Episode Eleven)

Post by GuardianAngel »

Episode Eleven: Love Lasts Forever

Mick’s working out at home. His VO tells us that the opposite hours a human vs. vampire keeps is one of the reasons a vampire lives in solitude. He asks himself questions he can’t answer and they surround one uncertainty: How does an immortal handle mortal feelings?

Okay, look away. Blink a couple times. Focus. Scroll down if you need to. Okay, there you go.

Josh and Carl are questioning someone and trying to cut a deal. Looks like they can get the guy for drug trafficking and money laundering.

They want him to wear a wire and he’ll get immunity. If not, Josh files formal charges the next day. The guy doesn’t go for it. He threatens Josh with a miserable future if he proceeds. Josh and Carl leave the room and discuss what happened. Things went as they expected and Josh is thinking he’s going to need some protection. Carl reminds him that, in El Salvador, it’s not the prosecutor Tejada went after, it was the prosecutor’s wife. The judge ended up declaring a mistrial. Carl admires Josh’s tenacity and tells him to be careful.

Josh leaves his office and heads to the parking lot, recording notes for the case. He’s being watched by two guys on motorbikes.

Through these notes we get to learn about Tejada. He’s a ranking member of HEM, thought to be one of the most dangerous gangs in the world. Their trafficking and laundering extends countries, if not continents. Tejada has refused to cooperate with them. The bikers get closer and Josh hears them. He quickly heads to his car.

Where one of the guys surprises him and gives him a couple blows, sending Josh to the ground.

A red laser is pointed at Josh’s head until a picture is thrown down and it moves to the photo.

It’s Beth’s photo.

Return to “Episode Discussion”