Moonlight on The CW - Discussion for Ep 1: NSTAV

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Moonlight on The CW - Discussion for Ep 1: NSTAV

Post by redwinter101 »

librarian_7 wrote:And if Beth was out, for a bit, why didn't Mick take that opportunity to change shirts? He surely had time.

Lucky
Because the guardian angel code meant he couldn't leave her out of his sight for a moment. :giggle:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Did anyone get coming attractions? In New York I got the News teaser over the credits
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

librarian_7 wrote:And if Beth was out, for a bit, why didn't Mick take that opportunity to change shirts? He surely had time.

Lucky
Good point! Especially considering how neat Mick is. But I guess it was more dramatic.

No, previews here.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, I can sorta buy that. Or more romantically, he just couldn't stand to let her out of his sight.

Lucky
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:"Shouldn'ta done that."

Oh my. For that I forgave them the comedy speed-running...

Red

ETA: Sorry - I'm a little behind :giggle:
I LOOOOOVE the shouldn'ta done that... :melts: :melts: :melts:
And I hate the speed running... that coulda been done so much cooler...

And I caught the slight nod, there, Dark. Never noticed it before, but it IS very slight... :twothumbs:

No previews here either.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Lucky
Yeah, the hole and the bloody stain didn't quite add up with "he sure tried to"

Just one of the little things that they should have caught. Even so, the show is magic.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Happy sigh. So lovely to watch with y'all. :D

I remember from the first time I watched, the 2 things that really bugged me were the aforementioned speed running and the back projection when Mick was driving. Even knowing now that was intentionally going for a noir feel, I still think it's naff.

But in spite of that I was definitely hooked enough to come back - I confess the delightful scenes with the professor (in his office), Mrs. Ellis, and the final "Shouldn'ta done that", plus Josef's fabulous home and lifestyle, were the clincher for me. That final hug just sealed the deal.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I remember...after watching the first ep, my husband (he opted out of viewing) came in and said, so what do you think?

I was sort of lukewarm on it...I recall commenting, "He's not a very bright vamp, staying in the same city that long."

Later, my mom asked if I'd watched, and I told her the same thing. She said, "Yeah, but that guy sure is CUTE."

Lucky
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

I'm with you on the final hug red. I totally remember thinking "I've got to see where this goes." This is great to share with yall!

So, should be interesting to see the ratings on how it did! If nothing else, I just to say "na na boo boo" to CBS if it does okay.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Back in 2007, I watched NSTAV online on the CBS site because I didn't discover the show until just before Fever aired. I actually watched the first 3 episodes that way trying to catch up in time for the fourth.

I don't watch the episodes very often, even though there are bits of them I've seen a hundred times when working on videos. I really am amazed at how wonderful and fresh it is to see this first one in HD (which I didn't have in 2007) on a large screen. In spite of some of the weak points, there was so much magic in this first episode. :heart:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

The first episode of Moonlight I saw was on 01-23-09 on the SyFy channel.

I had seen the promo and thought that it looked interesting and that I would watch it, if I had time. Saw the promo again a couple of hours before the airing (fortunately, as I had completely forgotten about it).

Loved the voice overs. Loved the male lead--he was charming and attractive, without being too pretty (if that makes any sense at all) and for all his enhanced abilities and heroism, exuded emotional vulnerability. I was impressed by the clever, fast-pased dialogue, the lovely sets, the entertaining plot, and the intriguing tweaks to the vampire myth.

When Mick had rescued Beth, repeated the gesture he had used with her when she was four, holding out a hand to her after telling her he would take her home; and she stood and hugged him--I fell in love with the whole package. Mick, Beth, Josef, Monlight in general and my Fridays from 8-9 were committed. Then, I learned that I was enamoured with a show that had aired on CBS the year before and been cancelled. I was floored.

Emotionally, at this stage, Beth was intrigued, fascinated and maybe a little smitten--and lots of us were right in there with her.

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Last edited by jen on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

jen wrote: Emotionally, at this stage, Beth was intrigued. Fascinated and maybe a little smitten--and lots of us were right in there with her.
This really sums it up beautifully, jen. :hearts: :happysigh:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Thanks, Lilly.

There were a lot of other things that went into making Moonlight so special,

I adored the soundtrack, the slick, modern feel of it all and the little touches that told us that no matter how modern and up to date our favorite vamps were, there were within them bits and pieces that belonged to another time, as well.

Sigh. Wonderful. It has been off for less than an hour and I miss it already.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Hi guys! just watched the dvd, oh yeah, totally gorgeous. I love the look that Mick gives Beth when she puts her hand over his in the car. You could feel the rockets exploding in inside him!
So many moments to mention.
Josef was very rapid fire in the scene in his house. They could have done with slowing that down a tad, I feel.
And Daniel's accent......
It's sound trans-Tasman to me rather than Aussie. For those not in the know, the Tasman sea is the body of water between New Zealand and Australia. Another example of a trans-Tasman accent would be Russell Crowe, who was born in N.Z.
A running joke here in Aus is we are more than happy to claim Russell until he sings,
then he comes from New Zealand!! :rolling:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Hi everyone,

Late to the party... but I wanted to check in and say that I was watching the episode tonight... with Trevor Munson! EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :hyper2: :hyper2: I was fortunate enough to be invited to a small party where Trevor and his girlfriend watched the first episode with some Moonlight fans. It was an amazing evening.

A couple of things that Trevor mentioned that people talked about in this thread:

Daniel the grad student and his weird accent-- I said "he sounds Aussie," and Trevor said, "He's a friend of Alex's."

Professor Ellis's office is upstairs from the writer's room on the WB lot. (I have no idea where on the lot the writer's room for Moonlight was...but that's where the Professor's office was filmed.)

Trevor and Ron wrote most of this episode, but many of the lighter moments and snarky one-liners came in after the original script was written, and many were offered by other writers. Trevor said that he thinks he's the one who came up with "Vampire Solidarity, rah rah rah". He thinks Gabrielle Stanton is the writer who thought up the term "freshie." I was sitting next to him :melts: on the couch, and I kept whispering, "Did you write that?" And then when Daniel the grad student's car crashed, and Mick was lying in the parking lot and he made a grunting sound, Trevor leaned over and said, "I wrote that." (Yeah, he was teasing me...I got teased by Trevor Munson...) :teeth:

Why did Steve the cameraman and Guillermo only show up occasionally? Well, they wanted them as series regulars, but they couldn't afford to pay the actors all the time. So they hired them when they could get them, and filled in with other characters when the actors had other jobs.

And the same thing happened with Ryder--the actor got a job... so Ryder went on sabbatical.

When Trevor pitched his original story for Moonlight to CBS, they wanted it to be lighter in tone, less gritty, and more romantic. Nina Tassler had been meeting with Ron Koslow about something, and she's the one who put Trevor and Ron together to create Moonlight. (So we have to be grateful to her for that, if nothing else.)

I'll try to think of more things he said (the evening was kind of a blur!), but I wanted to mention these few things.

Going to sleep now... :zzz:

Return to “Episode Discussion”