100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Moonlight on The CW - Discussion for Ep 1: NSTAV

Post by cassysj »

Alle - I'm with DSR nothing wrong with being a fangirl
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

cassysj wrote:I'm a little embarrassed to ask but was that Sophia's voice in the interview segment.
Yes, it was. It one of the earlier versions or maybe rehearsals, it was someone else's voice. But the segment that made it into the first episode was Sophia's.

Don't feel bad, I didn't catch that the first few times I saw the episode.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, I've been told the fangirling was cute. :hearts: :blushing:

I don't think it was Sophia's voice in the Interview segment, but I don't know whose it was. Originally, the "Interview" promos used someone else's voice (and I can't for the life of me remember whose voice it was--Julie something?), and they redid the interviewer's voice for episode 1.

Oh--T. also said that Sophia didn't have to audition for the role of Beth. She was offered the part. And the reason her accent kinda goes in and out in the first episode is that she'd only arrived in the US (Trevor said) about a week earlier! I think she did a great job sounding American, considering how little time she had to work on the accent.
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

darkstarrising wrote:
cassysj wrote:I'm a little embarrassed to ask but was that Sophia's voice in the interview segment.
Yes, it was. It one of the earlier versions or maybe rehearsals, it was someone else's voice. But the segment that made it into the first episode was Sophia's.

Don't feel bad, I didn't catch that the first few times I saw the episode.
I believe if you find the version of the interview that was on the Sieben 7 (German TV) web site at one time, you'll hear another voice as well as Alex saying other things. (This wasn't dubbed.)
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

PNWgal wrote:
As much as I love what we got, I wish we'd gotten to see Trevor's original vision of Moonlight. I love a good dark Mick, and would have loved to see that character a little darker and grittier.
Oh I am soooo there with you, Sweetie. Love the show we got, but a bit darker, a bit grittier, a bit more vampy... ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
This is partly why I am so excited about his book. I want to see THAT Mick in greater detail... and I'll be imagining Alex in the role, of course... :happysigh:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

wpgrace wrote:
PNWgal wrote:
As much as I love what we got, I wish we'd gotten to see Trevor's original vision of Moonlight. I love a good dark Mick, and would have loved to see that character a little darker and grittier.
Oh I am soooo there with you, Sweetie. Love the show we got, but a bit darker, a bit grittier, a bit more vampy... ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
This is partly why I am so excited about his book. I want to see THAT Mick in greater detail... and I'll be imagining Alex in the role, of course... :happysigh:
Even though Trevor was imagining Mickey Rourke as Mick? :snicker:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

r1015bill wrote: Even though Trevor was imagining Mickey Rourke as Mick? :snicker:
Having recently seen Mr. Rourke in Ironman 2, may I just say... ICK.

Lucky
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Oh Alle, I love reading about your night watching Moonlight with Trevor and the ML ladies!! That's fantastic! Are you guys going to go watch it with him weekly? That would just be amazing to hear backstory about each episode.

Unfortunately, I was watching the premiere of Burn Notice and flipped over to ML during commercials. There weren't a lot of commercials. :no: WHY do they schedule shows I like at the SAME time?!!? :mdrama:
*Christy*

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

ICK is right! Eeeeew. No, I'm gonna imagine our Mick... in his darker, grittier mode... as I read Trevor's book. And about the book, by the way... (Alle is beginning to remember more) :laugh: Trevor said that the contract still hasn't been signed for publication, but assuming all goes well, it should still come out as planned in February 2011. We asked him about sequels. He does not yet have the rights to publish sequels to Angel of Vengeance, but he is hoping to be able to negotiate that if the book does well. According to him, WB and CBS have dual ownership of the rights, so any negotiations are going to be tricky, but he's hopeful. It's really dependent on the first book doing well, though. If WB and CBS see the books as a revenue stream for them, they're more likely to allow him to publish sequels.

And by the way, Baby Beth does appear at the end of the first book, but not the same as in the TV show. And he said that he envisions a grown-up Beth in the 1950's for the second book... so it'll be a different story entirely...but a very interesting one, in my opinion...

Also my sincere apologies for dragging this episode discussion soooooooo wildly off-topic! I promise not to do this every time ('cause I'll probably never meet Trevor again!) :snicker:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

r1015bill wrote:
wpgrace wrote:
PNWgal wrote:
Even though Trevor was imagining Mickey Rourke as Mick? :snicker:

Just...ewww, r1015bill. :blecch:

Right there with you, Grace. I'm completely stoked to read Trevor's book, to see that dark, gritty, desperate Mick in all his glory - including his vampiric glory. :cloud9:

The one thing I really wished they'd kept in the series was Mick injecting blood. I get the reasons for dumping it, but I liked the edge it gave him.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh honey, once again we agree. I loved the shootin' up. Such a gritty, but modern, twist on the tale.

But uh, Mickey Rourke as Mick?? Is that seriously who Trevor saw??? DId he realize Mickey Rourke is now actually as old as Mick... or at least he's the portrait to our Mick's Dorian Grey, anyway. Barf.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

I'm guessing that Trevor was imagining Mickey Rourke a little closer to his glory years - say 1990. Here's what Trevor said

"I came up with the idea for the novel after rereading Dracula and a Raymond Chandler novel back to back. At the time I thought how cool it would be to create a character that blended the two genres that I love best… What evolved was a character I named Mick Angel mainly for two reasons… 1. my love of the movie Angelheart… (while writing it I found myself imagining that Mick looked somewhat like Mickey Rourke in that film.) And 2. A blurb on the back of the Chandler novel that likened Phillip Marlowe to a slumming angel… After that I couldn’t get the name out of my head…"

The references I found: http://alexoloughlinrocks.com/tv/moonli ... ht-history http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... 165&page=2

Oh - and wondergirl - Remember that Burn Notice repeats 3 hours later! Very handy! I watched ML at 8 central time and BN at 11 central time.

Edited because I found the actual reference.
Last edited by r1015bill on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Wow!

Alle, sounds like you had a fabulous evening!

I'm looking forward to reading Angel of Vengence and preordered it on Amazon before the release date was pushed forward.

As to the numbers, I'm thrilled that Moonlight did well. Just stands to reason (but I must admit to being heavily prejudiced here).

I'm anxious to see what next week will bring. I hope we hear the numbers again. Hint, hint.

Thanks

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

r1015bill wrote:I'm guessing that Trevor was imagining Mickey Rourke a little closer to his glory years - say 1990. Here's what Trevor said

"I came up with the idea for the novel after rereading Dracula and a Raymond Chandler novel back to back. At the time I thought how cool it would be to create a character that blended the two genres that I love best… What evolved was a character I named Mick Angel mainly for two reasons… 1. my love of the movie Angelheart… (while writing it I found myself imagining that Mick looked somewhat like Mickey Rourke in that film.) And 2. A blurb on the back of the Chandler novel that likened Phillip Marlowe to a slumming angel… After that I couldn’t get the name out of my head…"

The references I found: http://alexoloughlinrocks.com/tv/moonli ... ht-history http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... 165&page=2

Oh - and wondergirl - Remember that Burn Notice repeats 3 hours later! Very handy! I watched ML at 8 central time and BN at 11 central time.

Edited because I found the actual reference.

OK... cool to know the source of his inspiration! Thank you so much for that info, rbill!! Yet Rourke, being human, does age. Has aged. At vamp speed. :giggle:

lynnrxgal
Fledgling

Post by lynnrxgal »

Late to the party as usual..... I am soooo happy for the lucky fangirls that got to see Moonlight with Trevor! That would be an event of a lifetime!

Just wanted to add a few thoughts:

Daniel, the TA, was played by Dean O'Gorman who was Dianna Glenn's (Pearl from Oyster Farmer) live-in BF in LA at the time. That is the house that Alex slept on the couch for a year! Dean is from New Zealand and has since moved back there and they are no longer a couple the last I read.

I LOOOOOVEEED the mainlining Mick, but then again, I'm a Raymond Chandler fan and gritty = good! I just knew that Trevor was as well and now I have it confirmed! BTW, my older son (about Alex's age) is a huge Chandler fan as well. I scour garage sales for his old books for him! Wait til I tell him about this!

My "virgin" NSTaV experience was on the CBS website and it took about 3 hours to watch with all the starting and stopping and rebooting! Arrrggh! That's when I learned about iTunes and downloading! That being said, I never tire of watching it over again, in fact, I pretended that I was watching for the first time TWICE yesterday (SyFy and CW).

When Fever airs, I'll wax poetic about that ep as it was the first one I saw and I was almost in shock for days afterwards!

It's been so much fun reading all your posts. Moonlight was truly magiical!

Return to “Episode Discussion”