Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 10: Sleeping Beauty

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Re: Sleeping Beauty (Episode Ten)

Post by GuardianAngel »

Mick and Beth leave Josef’s NY abode.

Mick flies down the stairs as Beth is slower, subdued. Mick asks if she’s alright. (Is is me? Or is the way he asks that totally sexy?)

She says yes but that she can’t stop thinking about Sarah (can you blame the girl?) and that she was so in love with Josef. Mick agrees, it’s terrible. But he doesn’t sound depressed by it.

Now we get a little more into her mind and where it’s going. Beth wants to know if Mick really thinks there’s a cure. Mick says Coraline made herself human - is there a cure? He doesn’t know. He shrugs. He can’t say. (This doesn’t seem to be where his thoughts are)

Mick hails a taxi.

And, with an uncharacteristic smile, suggests that they go do something.

Like what? Beth wants to know.

Mick’s smile is young and playful. It’s clear that finding out about Sarah has had a profound affect on him, the opposite of what I would have expected - it’s opened him up, made him hopeful. He wants to do something fun, something quintessentially NY. Vanguard, martinis, steak for the lady. (I wnat to jump through the screen and hug him) Just the two of them on the town.

Beth reminds him that they have to catch a plane in a couple of hours and he counters by saying they can catch a later flight. He’s hyped and, I would have thought, irresistible.

But resist she does, stating that she should go back, that she didn’t leave things well with Josh.

Like he’d been splashed with ice cold water, his spirits are dampened (I get WHY she does it but I don’t know HOW). He says of course but he’s SO disappointed.

She offers to share the taxi and drop him off somewhere but he says no, he’ll walk.

It’s a good town for it. (He’s crestfallen. Too painful to watch).

Beth gets in and Mick closes the door for her. They look at one another through the window and *hold chest* he lays his hand on the window. Beth holds up her hand to his on the other side.

I love how her thumb seems to caress his hand. I know, I know, not nearly enough from her but I like it.

The cab pulls away and Mick walks down the street alone.

Meanwhile.....

Back in L.A. Coraline wakes up calling Mick’s name.

Her monitor goes off signalling a code blue. But when the nurses and doctor get there they find an empty bed.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Sigh.....watching Mick's transformation from subdued to hopeful to playful to disappointed was just an emotional roller coaster....I really wish Beth had opted for the later flight instead of letting her fear cause her to flee back to LA and the 'safety' of a man she really didn't love anymore.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I KNOW. I wanted to smile, cry, pull my hair and sigh all in the space of a few minutes.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

That scene at the taxi Just Breaks My Heart EVERY TIME. :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie:

But I understand exactly why she went back. :sigh:

On the other hand, I cheer myself up by reading Pgal's wonderful story where Mick follows her to the airport. :teeth:

Oh, I do love this episode so much. For so many reasons. It's the last moment of innocence in Mick's and Beth's relationship... it's the moment we see the man behind Josef's mask... it's when we see Coraline's vulnerability, and how very much she still loves Mick.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Until we actually saw the episode we couldn't have imagined the meaning of this episodes title. Sarah is obviously the sleeping beauty. But I think it also fits as a description of Mick's attitude as well. His hope/belief (whatever) for love has, until now, been asleep. It's with the unveling of Josef's staggering secret that he's been awakened to his feelings for Beth. Or, rather, the hope that he can do something about this feelings for Beth.

Mushy, I know. This ending always makes me emotional.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

In some respects, I have a little difficulty with Mick's ebullient reaction. He's just killed a guy, and he's seen an incredible downside to a human/vamp relationship. Yes, I know...Josef essentially just gave his blessing to Mick's relationship with Beth, but still.

And Josef and Sarah break my heart...every time. Such love, and such tragedy. Made even more devastating by the possibility it will go on, forever.

Lucky
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

I always tear up when Beth hands Josef that diary. It's almost like in that moment, she finally understands what Mick's been trying to tell her all along - that loving a vampire isn't easy...and it's isn't always enough.

But...I wonder, too, if Sarah's love is the thing that kept from completely sliding into the darkness, if that love for Josef keeps her hanging on to that slender thread of being.

I have a hard time forgiving Beth for leaving Mick like that - he was so open, so hopeful. But...I have to admit it was the right thing to do. Josh WAS her boyfriend and she left a mess behind her when she left. Beth always seems to lead with her impulses, but tries hard to fix things when she breaks them. I think she was reluctant to leave him...but she had to do what she thought was right - and going home to fix things with Josh was what was right.

(ETA a big :hug: to Alle - I'd rather SB ended that way, too!)

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

PNWgal wrote: But...I wonder, too, if Sarah's love is the thing that kept from completely sliding into the darkness, if that love for Josef keeps her hanging on to that slender thread of being.
Oh, damn, PNW, that REALLY got to me. :hankie:

Lucky
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

librarian_7 wrote:
PNWgal wrote: But...I wonder, too, if Sarah's love is the thing that kept from completely sliding into the darkness, if that love for Josef keeps her hanging on to that slender thread of being.
Oh, damn, PNW, that REALLY got to me. :hankie:

Lucky
:hug:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I was wondering about the title, too, always thought it might have been Coraline in the hospital, but then the storyline went far off that one and only returned in the end. It was a nice surprise to see Sarah, almost as much as for Mick and Beth.
Polite vampires, hehe, in my eyes these two said a lot more than Thanks - You're Welcome. They said: Thank you for saving my ass and being my friend and understanding me... - You're Welcome, you're my friend.
I always tear up the moment Josef tells them his story, and the moment Beth rejects Mick's offer and he's so disappointed. And I always marvel at the skill of Alex to bring this out beautifully without overacting.
I understand why Beth did it, but it breaks my heart.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Watch and Chat here in 10 minutes... :twothumbs:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

We'll start at 10:10 here. That's 4 minutes from now.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Nutmegger mentioned the interaction between Mick and Josef in this episode. I loved this episode's switching-roles aspects. I'm going to keep that in mind as I watch tonight.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Oh, the look on Josef's face!!!
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Well, that started with a bang.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo

Return to “Episode Discussion”