Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 10: Sleeping Beauty

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Re: Sleeping Beauty (Episode Ten)

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

I agree absolutely, Red. Mick takes marriage very seriously.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:giggle: Oh I think it's clear Beth had FEELINGS for Mick... but she herself hadn't acted upon them by dumping her boyfriend. And we KNOW he had feelings for her... have known since the fountain. But Mick is thinking of this relationship as a permanently unrequited love. And he's never led Beth to believe he loves her (she is relatively surprised by that admission in Sonata). So romantic expectations are not hers to have at this point in time. Romantic fantasies... well that's another story altogether, isn't it girls?

And to be fair to Mick... he had JUST discovered incontrovertibly that Cora WAS Cora... I mean he's not 30 seconds out of the shower where he saw the tattoo. So technically speaking, he hadn't really had time to alert the media quite yet... :rolling:

But yeah... totally lame guy line. It IS what she thinks. Exactly so, only it didn't quite go as far as he was willing, given the insistent knock on his door. And he may be uncomfortable with her thinking that... and she may feel jealous. But really, sex with his wife/ ex-wife... there really isn't anything wrong with that. After all, the poor vamp hadn't been... relieved... in years... :devil:

And after all that restraint, didn't we LOVE seeing sexy Mick unleashed for a moment or two there? And then didn't we love seeing loyal, loving Mick in the hospital? Perfect on both counts really... :happysigh:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

:giggle: totally, grace. seeing that guilt ridden, slightly frustrated Mick doing a double take and trying to decide first whethere to open the door, and then secondly try to come up with a suitable explanation for the state of deshabille Coraline was in is one of my all time favourite ML moments.

I also was very glad to hear Mick put Beth in her place with the 'wife' line. Being the object of someone's obsessive stalking will only get you so far, my girl!
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:I agree absolutely, Red. Mick takes marriage very seriously.

So that's why he tried an "Italian style divorce"? The way I see the hospital scene(s) with Mick, he cares way more about the cure than about his ex - but I think Grace has probably hit the nail on the head with the writers leaving all the options open...
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Next scene takes us to New York. An upscale Manhattan apartment. A young man walks into a room that displays photos of a young, pretty woman. An old man with an oxygen mask sits in a chair, waiting for the man.

He asks a question: "Did you find him?" The young man hands him a photo. GASP! It's Josef!

The old man acknowledges that it is the person he's looking for. He wants to know where he is.

The man says he's living in Los Angeles, using the name Josef Kostan. He wants to know what he is to do.

Old geezer tells him to do what he hired him to do. Kill him. The young man says he'll take the next flight out. He looks ready to turn and leave but is inturrupted. He's told it has to be done by fire.

The would be assasin thinks fire is impractical. A long range single shot to the head should do it. But no. It has to be fire. The killer wants to know why. The client says because he said so (sounds like my Dad). Burn him to death and you'll get your money. Mr. Confident Killer says to consider it done. (Gah! Go suck some more oxygen!)

We return to L.A. Josef and a couple of the 'guys' are playing poker and he's giving them advice against getting involved with mortal girls. It never ends well (Haven't we heard that before?)

One guy suggest that they could always turn them not-mortal. Josef's response is a scoff, it's too much commitment.

He's then asked if what he's saying is to never turn a girl? Ever? His response is that all he's saying is forever is a long time. One of the guys agrees. Then he places his bet - 3 AB- blood vials.

The other guy folds. Josef says he's got two pair and adds his bet to the tray.

Mr. AB- has a flush and thinks he's beat Josef but Josef has two pairs....of fives. He wins the hand.

He stands and leans forward to rake in his winnings.

Gunshots fill the room. A lone man has entered and opened fire on them.

The vamps duck for cover.

The shooting stops. The gunman tosses a couple of cans into the room.

They bounce to the floor.

NOW Josef looks scared.

The incendiaries go off, throwing Josef back.

And the place explodes.

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Impeccable timing, GA...

When I first saw this ep, I really thought they had killed Josef. I was furious. But as it is a bit of a dark show, I totally believed he was fried. :hankie:

I loved the hit man. The old man creeped me out. I think he may be a famous actor, so million pardons, but he creeped me out all the same. :whistle:

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

EEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!

Lucky
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Yes I remember being really shocked by that section. I thought they'd killed Josef too. :eek2:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Nah! Josef, fried? No way. He was too good a character to kill off. I was just really interested to see how they'd explain his survival.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I must confess that I thought Josef was dead, and I was teary-eyed! :hankie: :hankie:

(Beautiful caps, and great commentary, GA!)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I thought Josef was dead too. Especially when we got Mick crying (okay, I'll wait until we get to it...).

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh! Mick crying. Now THERE"S an upcoming conversation...

Buuuuuut... for now. I wanted to add, I LOVED the poker party. Vamp poker. Way cool. And those blood vials. Way cooler. Wish they woulda had Mick in one of those at some point in the show. Even way cooler still. He and Josef facing off in some high stakes hand. Sigh. That would have been hilarious. Think of the dialogue between those two! Sigh again.

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I loved the poker game. And I especially love the way it was shot, with the camera circling the table as the conversation and the play advanced. Beyond that, Josef was relaxed, self-confident and all attitude as he called Dan and then toyed with him saying all he had was two pairs. Of fives. :hearts:

It was a striking contrast to what was about to come. He went from being in complete control to screwed in the blink of an eye.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Lilly wrote:I loved the poker game. And I especially love the way it was shot, with the camera circling the table as the conversation and the play advanced. Beyond that, Josef was relaxed, self-confident and all attitude as he called Dan and then toyed with him saying all he had was two pairs. Of fives. :hearts:

It was a striking contrast to what was about to come. He went from being in complete control to screwed in the blink of an eye.

True. Yet one got the feeling that he had been in such a situation before. He recovered quickly. Josef clearly thinks on his... er... feet.

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I don't think he did recover quickly, grace. Later, he put on his game face for Mick and Beth, but he was clearly more rattled than we had ever seen him. He's a survivor, yes, but I think it had been a very long time since he was that much out of control of his environment. That's why the poker game was so important -- to establish how relaxed and cocky he had become over those 400+ years. Also, of course, it set up the discussion of relationships with mortal girls which we would see later had much more meaning to him than he let on.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist

Return to “Episode Discussion”