Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 10: Sleeping Beauty

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Sleeping Beauty (Episode Ten)

Post by francis »

I think Mick didn't tell Beth about the danger of turning into a coma, because he didn't know it was possible. He was surprised to see Sarah, but drew the right conclusion. I got the impression he didn't know it could happen. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here.
As to Whitley, he didn't know Mick was a vampire. He saw a young man and woman who told him that someone called Josef was after him, and he told them about monsters. He didn't tell them he was a vampire, but made clear that the rob of his daughter happened in 1955. He couldn't know that Mick knew Josef because Mick acted as if he didn't, just that he would try to find him before he took out Whitley.
Beth and Mick both have a lot to process here.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Okay, here we go. Deep breathes.

Mick and Beth go to the address Sam sent them and knock on the door. They’re greeted by the same woman that greeted Josef earlier but she says that no one by the name of Josef Kostan is there.

Beth asks if she’s sure because his limo dropped him off there. Mick asks (with a smirk) if there would be a Charles Fitzergerald.

Guess who shows up at the door, telling Paula it’s okay.

Mick doesn’t look all that pleased but Beth seems to find it amusing.

Josef quips that you can run but you can’t hide. Mick’s reply is ‘“not from me.......

(M&B enter)...Charles.” Looks like Josef is enjoying this.

Once inside, Josef leads them to a set of closed double doors as Mick says they’d gotten an interesting story from Whitley and wants to know what’s going on. Josef hesitates for a moment before opening it and moving back so the couple can see inside.

A somber Josef leads them in and introduces them to Sarah. Sarah Whitley. The ‘Sleeping Beauty’.

Mick and Beth are surprised to say the least.

Josef sends Paula on her dinner break as the three surround the bed. Beth wants to know what’s wrong with her and is told that the woman has been in a coma since 1955.

Beth makes the observation that Sarah hasn’t aged.

Josef explains what happened.

He met her at Grand Central station, they were both waiting for a train and she asked him for a light.

The moment he looked into her eyes he knew that she was something special. He knew better than to get involved with a human.

But he did it anyway. For months he thought he was keeping his secret from her.

And then he discovered that she knew. She knew and she didn’t care.

It was the happiest day of his life. *sniffle*

Beth says the words we’ve been thinking. Josef was in love with her. Josef says he wasn’t looking for it. (Beth looks at Mick).

Josef continues....He began to think that the whole reason he’d become a vampire was so that he could live long enough to meet her (hold on....I have to get my tissues.) It took him over 350 years to find her. And only a year to lose her. *blots eyes and blows nose* Forever. *again*

Beth asks what happened and Mick responds that Josef tried to Turn her.

Josef says she’d been begging him to do it for months. He didn’t want to but she wouldn’t let it go. He smiles with the memory.

Sarah knew it was the only way they could be together, so he tried. He drained her and fed her his blood but it didn’t work.

She never came out of it - she got lost somewhere in between.

Mick tries to tell Josef that this is not his fault.

Josef shakes his head. He says he knows, but it is. He’s the one who did this to her.

Beth points out that he’s been looking after her ever since (sound familiar?). Josef says he couldn’t let her go.

Hoping that someday medicine or a miracle....something...will bring her back.

CRASH! In flies Martan through the window.

The assasin open fires. Josef moves towards the bed and Mick throws Beth to the floor. Josef takes a few shots.

Mick tells Beth to stay down as he leaves to help Josef.

Martan is practically chanting “die vampire” and stakes a fallen Josef. Then wants to know why he won’t die. Mick comes up behind ‘born to kill’ and says it doesn’t always work like that.

Martan goes to hit Mick (did he not learning anything?) and is sent flying. He and Mick get into it. Martan gets pinned to the wall by his throat, Mick snaps his neck and lets him fall to the floor.

With the scare over, Mick goes and pulls the stake out of Josef. And being the polite vampires that they are, Josef says ‘thanks’ and Mick says ‘you’re welcome’.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

:rolling: :rolling: "Polite vampires"! GA, you slay me sometimes. :hug:

Wow, wow, wow. What a scene. And how beautifully played by one and all...
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

You got some great caps. Josef's story of Sarah's unsuccessful turning...is just heartwrenching, always.

(And I do love your observation about polite vampires...they do have their courteous ways, don't they!)

Lucky
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

First...vampire Mick... :melts: :melts: :melts:

I've always loved that phrase "she got lost somewhere in between". I have this visual of Sarah, wandering around the forest of her subconscious, trying to get back to Josef. I've always wondered if she can hear him, if she knows he's been there since her botched Turning. I like to think so, because she looks so peaceful, like she KNOWS how much he loves her.

And here's Beth's moment of truth: it's not always pretty and perfect in the vampire universe. I get a mixture of "I told you you're making things too complicated" and "oh god, don't ever let this happen to me!" from her in this scene.

I also find it interesting that even though Martan's gunning for Josef...Mick's first instinct is to protect Beth.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

*blush* Thank you ladies. Those vampires' mums raised them right.

Jason played the hell out of that part. Talk about bittersweet - the wistfull smiles along with the painful sharing.

Beth's brain must have been burning rubber. Talk about an overload of emotion and information. This is SO not what she imagined vampire/human love would be. Definitely burst her bubble.

*smacks Pgal* Of COURSE Mick's first instinct was to protect Beth. Otherwise, really, what a waste of 22 years.
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

This is interesting!

It's a week after the episode aired and we're still talking about it. Even though we've all seen it many many times. I think it shows how deep this episode goes into our psyches. Didn't Trevor say recently that this was the only episode that was completely handled (writing, etc.) by he and Ron?

And another one is coming tonight!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

GuardianAngel wrote:

*smacks Pgal* Of COURSE Mick's first instinct was to protect Beth. Otherwise, really, what a waste of 22 years.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

r1015bill wrote: Didn't Trevor say recently that this was the only episode that was completely handled (writing, etc.) by he and Ron?
He did say that. He told me much the same thing when I asked him about "Sleeping Beauty" last year. He also mentioned that he and Ron went to lunch with Jason during that time and talked about what they hoped to do with it. He said that Jason was "great" and had a lot of good thoughts on how to "nuance" his character in this episode. I was just really impressed to hear how much they all put into making this episode work. Because it does -- so very well.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

*rubs arm* OUCH! :teeth:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

*hands Pgal big girl panties* :)

Mick says to hold still as he works on an impatient Josef who wants to know if Mick is using BBQ tongs to get the bullets out of his back.

Mick says for a 400 year old vampire, Josef has has a low threshold for pain. The replay is that giving is different than receiving.

Mick’s done and wants to know how’s the stake wound. Josef flexes *sigh*

Nothing that a little blood wouldn’t help. Cool! Mick has a glass ready and gives it to Josef.

Perfect opportunity for Mick to start. All these years, Josef ranting (Nah, I wouldn’t say he ranted exactly) about how it wouldn’t work between vampires and humans. Josef says that what happened to Sarah is proof that it doesn’t.

Mick’s feeling a little light hearted and it begins to show. Josef Kostan in love proves anything is possible.

Love shows you a part of yourself that you never knew existed. Or a part that you thought you lost forever. (Man can these two pile wax sentimental. In a totally good way.) And than this happens.

Josef says that the universe must have had a different plan for him. That who he is is who he’s supposed to be.

And wants to know if Mick is going to try and make things work with Beth. Mick doesn’t answer and Josef tells him that he hopes the universe is on his side.

Beth walks in and asks if Josef is okay.

Josef says he will be and walks over to stand next to Beth at Sarah’s bedside. I don’t know if it was that what happened just hit him or if he was trying to lighten things up but Josef laughs, incredulous that Martan had staked him.

Beth wants to know if Josef will be going back to L.A. with them but Josef says he’s going to stay for a few more days. A thoughtful Mick looks on.

Beth hands Josef Sarah’s diary and says he should have it, that Sarah really loved him.

Mick reaches out to tap Beth, a signal that they should leave. But he stops to look at Josef for a few seconds before exiting.

Alone, Josef looks at his Sarah

And we’re given a peek into the romance of Charles and Sarah. He gives her the locket that he’s kept safe all these years. *chin trembles*

And back to the cruel present.

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

You know, seeing the caps from this scene, Sarah is being discussed as if she wasn't there and the way the camera focussed on Mick and Josef, you almost forgot she was there. Yet she was, and I wonder just how much, if anything, she was aware of. How maddening it would be to be absorbing it all and not able to communicate.

On a lighter note, the actress (whoever she was) really had a wonderful part in this....just lying there, looking beautiful and not having to remember any lines!!
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

darkstarrising wrote:You know, seeing the caps from this scene, Sarah is being discussed as if she wasn't there and the way the camera focussed on Mick and Josef, you almost forgot she was there. Yet she was, and I wonder just how much, if anything, she was aware of. How maddening it would be to be absorbing it all and not able to communicate.

On a lighter note, the actress (whoever she was) really had a wonderful part in this....just lying there, looking beautiful and not having to remember any lines!!
Sleeping Beauty is my favorite episode and I often think it would be terrible if Sarah were "aware" of what was going on. She's been in a coma for fifty plus years and doesn't even have the release of death. I found it interesting when I was watching that Josef has her hooked up to all these machines. She really wouldn't need anything but the IV.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

They do turn to look at her every so often. And a majority of the camera angles have her in the background to remind you she's there.

Yes, that was a great part to land, wasn't it? Lie there and look pretty adn to do that 50s scene with Josef smiling at her so adoringly.

Also, earlier we were discussing Josef and his secrets (what he doesn't share with Mick), from these last scenes I get the impression that Josef is relieved to finally be sharing this one.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

GuardianAngel wrote:They do turn to look at her every so often. And a majority of the camera angles have her in the background to remind you she's there.

Yes, that was a great part to land, wasn't it? Lie there and look pretty adn to do that 50s scene with Josef smiling at her so adoringly.

Also, earlier we were discussing Josef and his secrets (what he doesn't share with Mick), from these last scenes I get the impression that Josef is relieved to finally be sharing this one.
Yes, I think he is, and the fact that he shares it with Mick brings the two of them into an even closer brotherhood.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Return to “Episode Discussion”