Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 9: Fleur de Lis

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Fleur de Lis (Episode Nine)

Post by wpgrace »

coco wrote:
wpgrace wrote:
But I have a question about that... Morgan, really being Cora, knows Mick is a vampire. What exactly is she fearing that Hagen's son and cheater-wife are going to DO to him? Yeah, he's walking into an ambush... but as a vamp among mortals. What are they gonna do? Shoot him?
Isn't it just about keeping up the Morgan story? People think she is Morgan and a human would be fearful of this situation. Coraline knew Mick would come to no harm as a vamp so I don't think she is scared for him but as Morgan she has to have everyone else around her believe she's worried about him and a little fearful of what she's getting into herself.

Love how rattled Beth seems here with Josef. Beth's head has been messed with a fair bit in this ep so far and I think she is hanging on barely here. She is looking for answers from Josef to justify her fears about Morgan/Coraline and she is concerned for Mick and herself.
Agree on the rattled Beth... she does rattled much differently from Mick, but it's still entertaining.

But NO... Morgan is acting all worried about Mick when there are no humans around. Mo has no idea what she's up to, so she's not portraying worry for Mo. She seems genuinely worried, but (yes, I know, Alle... they really DID shoot him; I was being a bit facetious there) getting shot isn't gonna kill him. Unless the Hagen's-cheaters KNOW Mick's a vamp, happen to set him on fire or decide to stab him to death--while he's tied up in silver ropes, cause otherwise he's unlikely to fail to fight back... I just don't quite get why she appears SO worried.

I know she still loves him and wants him back, so yes, there'd be some worry you'd lose him in a dumb accident... but he's survived as a vamp for 55 years and been a PI for most of it. I kinda thought she was doing it for us, the audience, but that the writers forgot that WE already KNOW she's Cora... and had known at least since the end of The Ringer. It's only Beth... and perhaps Mick... who are needing the proof at this point in time.

Anyway, I love the drama, as GA noted, of the two girls having their separate scenes and they're both getting nervous, about different things, at the same moment. There's just constantly this connection among this three-some... with Mick always in the middle...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

wpgrace wrote:
coco wrote:
wpgrace wrote:
But I have a question about that... Morgan, really being Cora, knows Mick is a vampire. What exactly is she fearing that Hagen's son and cheater-wife are going to DO to him? Yeah, he's walking into an ambush... but as a vamp among mortals. What are they gonna do? Shoot him?
Isn't it just about keeping up the Morgan story? People think she is Morgan and a human would be fearful of this situation. Coraline knew Mick would come to no harm as a vamp so I don't think she is scared for him but as Morgan she has to have everyone else around her believe she's worried about him and a little fearful of what she's getting into herself.

Love how rattled Beth seems here with Josef. Beth's head has been messed with a fair bit in this ep so far and I think she is hanging on barely here. She is looking for answers from Josef to justify her fears about Morgan/Coraline and she is concerned for Mick and herself.
Agree on the rattled Beth... she does rattled much differently from Mick, but it's still entertaining.

But NO... Morgan is acting all worried about Mick when there are no humans around. Mo has no idea what she's up to, so she's not portraying worry for Mo. She seems genuinely worried, but (yes, I know, Alle... they really DID shoot him; I was being a bit facetious there) getting shot isn't gonna kill him. Unless the Hagen's-cheaters KNOW Mick's a vamp, happen to set him on fire or decide to stab him to death--while he's tied up in silver ropes, cause otherwise he's unlikely to fail to fight back... I just don't quite get why she appears SO worried.

I know she still loves him and wants him back, so yes, there'd be some worry you'd lose him in a dumb accident... but he's survived as a vamp for 55 years and been a PI for most of it. I kinda thought she was doing it for us, the audience, but that the writers forgot that WE already KNOW she's Cora... and had known at least since the end of The Ringer. It's only Beth... and perhaps Mick... who are needing the proof at this point in time.

Anyway, I love the drama, as GA noted, of the two girls having their separate scenes and they're both getting nervous, about different things, at the same moment. There's just constantly this connection among this three-some... with Mick always in the middle...
Agreed that Mick is always in the middle. :ysmile:

I get what you are saying, Grace, about it not always being a public display but I guess this was how I saw the difference between Morgan and Coraline when I saw the ep. Coraline had to "become" Morgan and take on this persona and so it would surely have to be an all the time kind of thing so as not to reveal anything until she wanted to reveal it? When she lets go of the Morgan persona at the end of the ep there is a big difference for me in their characteristics so I guess that's what I saw when I watched that scene.
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Actually that makes sense to me, coco! Good point... thanks. Cause clearly that had bothered me. So Morgan is a method actor... :snicker:

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

See, that's what I found so intriguing about this scene. Coraline IS worried about Mick and it's at a time that there's no one there watching her. It's not a show - she's not 'on'. This is how I see it. She loves him and worry isn't a rational thing. Also she knows that Mick rushes in, he gets very involved and doesn't always think which is always a potentially dangerous thing. Haggans is a rich, powerful guy. Who knows what he would do.

There's always the possibility I'm way, way off and she's just worried Mick is going to blow the case and they won't get paid. LOL
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I agree with you, GA. She's worried, if not for his well-being then for the fact that he could expose himself while defending his life. And when she goes looking for him and finds him under the leaves, she's still worried.

It matches his worry when she's almost run over by the car. He risks exposure to get her out of the line. She feigns confusion because otherwise she would have asked questions how this could happen.

There are still feelings on both sides, and I think that Mick suspects for quite some time that she's playing him, and plays along.

What I wonder about is: How could he keep himself from biting her when he was drained of blood after that head injury? Did he get a quick drink while she was in the shower? Otherwise he must have been really tempted.
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Her concern is genuine and could in part be that her protectiveness of him is so ingrained with being his sire and all.

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Well, I know that Mick can't be killed by a bullet - but they still hurt (I imagine) and that scene still worried me. Just sayin'. :whistle:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Exactly Phee! It hurts to see him hurting! :sadface:

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

mwj01 wrote:Her concern is genuine and could in part be that her protectiveness of him is so ingrained with being his sire and all.

That also makes sense, Sis...

Tho it's interesting that he only REALLY gets into physical trouble when there's a girl around... I mean he took out that WHOLE Tejada bar, and those guys were MUCH tougher than Cheater-Haggenses or that rocket-scientist vamp... with no help at all... :snicker:

But I think it's charming that she's so worried about him...and as I said, no question it's genuine... it just seemed odd that she was SOOOOO worried about her handsome little PI vamp...
But I like that... she's just used to fussing over him, huh? Even 20-some odd years later... and I don't blame her. We're not over him yet...

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Sigh. I've missed these discussions.

I loved that she was worried. I have nothing clever to add about her rationale - I just thought it had an emotional truth that was touching. Maybe it's there to add to OUR conviction that her feelings for him (and her reasons for being back) weren't purely for revenge or to mess with him.

I loved the Beth/Josef scene - there's been a lot of discussion about Beth but I also thought this was a great Josef scene. There's no posturing or grandstanding - he just tells it like it is. It's scenes like this that play to my conviction about the unbreakable strength of their friendship.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I agree, Red... Josef takes ANY threat to Mick verrry seriously. And I love the way he describes Mick and Cora's relationship...

And I also love the truth of his line... If she's back, she came back for Mick. Yes, yes she did...

So you're probably right... we see JUST how concerned Cora is for Mick in those other scenes so that we believe what Josef says... she's come back FOR Mick... not to hurt him... she just wants him back. Well... tho I guess she and he kinda hurt each other WHEN they are together... so also says Josef...

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Got to say, for me this is a quintessential Josef scene. He rises for Beth...he's an old school gentleman. He snaps his fingers, the room clears...he is a man in total control of his environment. The power just radiates from him. The air of maturity, intelligence, and wisdom is unmistakable. And yet...there's something not totally upfront there about him (especially in the latter parts of this scene with Beth, which I know we haven't quite reached. That feeling that he knows more than he's telling (how very Josef is that?).

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, yes--definitely. This scene is quintessential Josef, and I love it. He's playing Beth a bit here, too, getting a feel for her, finding out what she knows and what she's worried about. Josef is always playing about ten games at once.

I love Beth in this scene, too. She's scared of Josef, you can see it in her eyes. But she's determined to find answers, and she correctly assumes that Josef will have some. She takes it when he delivers some home truths to her, and she doesn't back down, even though she is definitely rattled. I admire her very much here, even though she does some pretty stupid things in this episode. But think about it. She's metaphorically going into the basement after the boogey man, without a flashlight. That takes real courage.

Regarding Morgan's motivations... I think (after more than a year of doing RP Moonlight stuff on Facebook, "channeling" a character as realistically as I can) that Morgan is worried about Mick, not because she is afraid he'll die or that he'll betray himself as a vampire or for any solid reason that you can put a finger on. She's afraid for him because she's a woman and she loves him, both as sire and as wife (despite everything), and she just worries about him when he goes into danger. It's not a reason thing. It's a heart-and-guts thing. Just my :2cents:

(edited to fix a typo)
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Yes, great Josef moment. I love when she says Mick trusts him and he straight out asks "Then what do you want?" For me it's a reminder that Josef doesn't trust easily and he knows everyone has an angle. He's still wary of Beth's.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Beth and Josef discuss why Beth came. Josef says that he'd met Morgan and yes, she looks a lot like Coraline but she isn't her. Morgan is not a vampire.

Beth wants to know what if Coraline found a way to become human again.

Josef laughs, first Mick and now Beth. There is no magic cure, no 'click your ruby slippers together' to rejoin the mortal coil.

He says becoming a vampire is a one way street. But Beth insists - there has to be a way.

She begins to say something about believing Mick but Josef inturrupts saying that when it comes to Coraline Mick doesn't think with his big head (I was SHOCKED I tell ya!)

He explains that their relationship was one of those terrifying, totally self-destructive freak shows that you spend your whole life searching for knowing it can only end with either one or both of you dead.

Beth wants to know if that's his idea of love. Josef leans back, and tells her he's a romantic. She smiles.

Josef picks up the photo and tells her that it was taking at Coraline's house in Hollywood where she and Mick first met. And we get a flashback to the party as he says that it was quite the scene back then and Cora could really throw a party.

Beth catches that Josef knew Coraline. He says he met her for the first time in NY. When Lincoln was president.

Beth tells him that Mick told her Cora was a courtesan. Josef says she was a lot of things to a lot of people, most of them men. She prompts Josef by asking of Mick was different.

Josef responds by saying Coraline wanted him and got him.

There's another flashback of Cora and Mick during their courtship as Josef tells Beth how she really worked him over. Mick tried to get out but she was like a drug that he kept going back to.

Beth is following and guess it was until Coraline took her. Josef nods. Mick couldn't stand the thought of a child dying because of him.

We flash back to the night Mick saves a 4 yr old Beth. Josef says it gave Mick the strength to break away once and for all.

Beth is caught in the memory tells him that she remembers the fire, remembers watching her burn. Josef looks emotional. (Always makes me wonder if there's more to it that he doesn't say).

She hasn't been able to ask Mick because he already feels so guilty but why did Coraline choose her? Josef says he thinks Coraline thought she could put together a family and settle down - like a human women getting pregnant to save a bad marriage. And as for it being Beth, just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But it didn't work. She didn't get him back. Josef laughs saying that Beth knows Mick better than that. Beth responds that Josef knew Coraline. So if she's back, what does she want.

IF she's back, and Josef stresses the 'if', then she's back for Mick.

Josef puts the photo on the table, pushes it towards Beth and gets up. Beth thinks about what he said.

Return to “Episode Discussion”