Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 8: 12:04AM

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: 12:04 (Episode Eight)

Post by darkstarrising »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:yes, dsr. Part of the intimacy of a sniff is that in this modern world we all try so hard to hide our bodily aromas (deodorants, perfume, aftershave, pot pourri, various bathroom sprays, feminine sprays etc) that to actually inhale someone's aroma is to have a part of your hidden self revealed. And maybe part of my own shivery reaction is because Beth did this in secrecy, she was crossing a little line here - finding out something intimate about Mick without his knowledge.
Luxe - good point about the doing this in secrecy. Mick doesn't let people get close to him, even if he loves them. So, hugging that shirt, inhaling his scent was all she could do for now.

Another thought. With all his heightened senses, wouldn't he know that she had done this? Wouldn't her scent now be on his shirt?
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

dsr~~you will get no disagreement from me. However, you and your pretty writerly words, using words like "savoring his scent" and "being enveloped in his arms"

Torment to the nth degree, missy!!!

And he knew that she sniffed. Just as he knew she would probably snoop. And she knew that he would know They had a bit of a game going on---neither one wanting to say things out loud, but showing their thoughts/feelings through their very transparent actions. But, knowing that, we all knew better :giggle:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I think turn-about is only fair play... he sniffs all the time. He has likely sniffed all kinds of things about her. This is just her turn to sniff.

And to snoop, cause you know she checked out his freezer. And his closet and clothes drawers. And probably his blood fridge. And as we later see her sitting in his chair in his office, guessing she rifled thru those drawers too... and his rolodex... cause he probably still has a rolodex...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

wpgrace wrote:I think turn-about is only fair play... he sniffs all the time. He has likely sniffed all kinds of things about her. This is just her turn to sniff.

And to snoop, cause you know she checked out his freezer. And his closet and clothes drawers. And probably his blood fridge. And as we later see her sitting in his chair in his office, guessing she rifled thru those drawers too... and his rolodex... cause he probably still has a rolodex...
*Laughing* I have a feeling you are absolutely correct, grace. Well, who wouldn't check out a vampire's lair if they had the chance? :laugh:
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

dsr, I have no doubt that Mick would know just where Beth was in his house. But it's too late - she's been all through it. I think grace is correct - Beth would have been through everything and I can't blame her. Mick holds back so much, this is her chance to go hog wild.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

It's probably been longer than the 10 minutes Mick told Beth it would take for him to get there so Beth tries calling him. Weird, there is a ringing outside the door when his phone should be ringing. What's up with that?

Beth goes to the door and checks the monitor. It appears to be Mick's phone lying on the floor. Huh?

Audrey has caught on that something is wrong and starts forward but Beth warns her to stay back. She pans the monitor around. Aaaaghhhhhhh!

Beth grabs Audrey and they run into the office. Audrey huddles behind the desk as Beth goes back to the door to listen for Shepherd.

While Beth is out there, Shepherd drops in on Audrey and sets her screaming.

Beth drags her out of there and they start up the stairs as Beth calls 911 to report an intruder trying to break in.

Too late, Shepherd comes in through the roof and lands in the living room.

Beth sends Audrey upstairs and runs down towards the door. Either Beth is intending to go for help or looking to draw Shepherd away from the young woman. Or both. It seems to work. Shepherd cuts Beth off and captures her.

When she refuses to answer him when he asks where Audrey is he sends Beth flying across the floor. In the process she knocks into a few things and cuts her head.

The smell of blood causes the newly undead to vamp out. Beth gets up, circles the vampire and sees a shard of would that could serve as a stake. Donovan is commenting that she doesn't seem surprised to see him alive. She comments that she knows what he is. She grabs the wood and goes to stab him. But, being a vampire, he's faster. He grabs her arm and tells her that, if she knows what he is she should be begging for her life - not fighting. Again he asks where Audrey is and Beth spits in his face (I'm sorry, you don't even need to be a Beth fan to applaud her courage here). Donovan whips out a knife and goes to slash Beth.

The hottest hero vampire we know gets there just in time to stop Donovan. Mick sends the vamp flying and tells Beth to get out.

As the vamps duke it out, she runs upstairs to get Audrey. On their way down they distract Mick and he takes a few licks because of it. Same goes for when they get out the door.

The 'ding' from the elevator has Shepherd running out into the hallway after them. They just barely make it in before he gets there. But he stops the door from closing all the way and the scene is reminiscent of Audrey's flashback of being a child and seeing him through the closet door. We get to hear the creepy "Hello Sweetheart, I see you" again. And I'm sick to death of it about now.

Mick calls to him with a 'hey' and gets his attention. And then his head as he swings a machete with practiced ease.

The next scene takes us to the balcony. Mick is out there and Beth goes and joins him. He asks how Audrey is, and what Beth told her about Shepherd. Audrey is sleeping (again? That girl sleeps a LOT!) and she doesn't need to know more than the fact that Donovan is gone for good.

Audrey might not need an explanation but Beth says the SHE does and that she knows it was he that saved her when she was a little girl and he had to kill a woman he cared about to do it. He says that he suspected Beth knew it was him for a while abd tgat maybe he would have killed Coraline anyway. Beth acknowledges the fact but also that he did it THAT night to save her.

Mick, sounding and looking tortured turns to her and asks how he was supposed to tell her that.

She wants to know why he hid it. She then plops the file next to him on the wall aksing why he let her think it was her imagination.

He says she has every right to be angry but she says that she's not - she found her Guardian Angel. Mick laughs.

She just wishes he would talk to her (and she wipes away a tear).

Mick says that first he kills his wife and then he stalks Beth, it just gets better and better.

Her response is that she could have lived her life in fear but instead, she always felt safe.

The sun comes up and Mick lifts a hand to ward it off and Beth continues - saying that now she knows why she felt safe.

Mick tells her now she knows why it could never work. Beth tells him that since meeting him she stopped using the word 'never'. She then lifts a hand with his to protect him from the sun.

Beth leans in and gives him a chaste kiss on the cheek.

And Mick walks away leaving her out on the balcony by herself.

I love this last scene for several reasons. It's pretty for one. I like that Beth gives him a chaste kiss - sort of like a kiss from the little girl who now knows who to thank for rescuing her and keeping her safe. Also there is the symbolism of the sunlight and Beth. Mick tries to hide from both.
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Love that end scene SOOOOO much. Thanks for the great recap, GA. I am a total Beth fan and I love the way she stood up to Donovan. That girl rocks! Really disappointed that Mick walked away and just left her standing on the balcony alone. :sadface: He may be tortured and vulnerable right now but I didn't like that at all. I just think she deserved a little more from Mick then.
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Welcome, coco. That was a pleasure to recap.

I found Mick walking away like that to be heartbreaking. I think he was looking for Beth to give him a reason to walk away but she didn't - it would have been easier for him if she had. She was understanding and practically pleading with him to open up to her.
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Bravo on the recap thread!! :biggrin: That last scene is just gorgeous and it definitely breaks my heart when Mick walks away. :( He walked away from her here...and in FtP, she walked away from him. Interesting.
*Christy*

helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

Thanks for recapping! It's a beautiful scene and Beth tried to force Mick to express himself. "I just wish he would talk to me." Its seems Mick was not able to ever take Beth's advice until maybe the last 20 seconds of Sonata. After this balcony scene it seems Mick and Beth revert back to their friendship again. I mean Beth has was heady smelling Mick's sweater and now she finds out he has followed her since she was a girl. It made her feel safe as a girl, but how does it make her feel as a woman in love with a man? I mean at that moment it must have given her some pause (from which she certainly later recovered)

It never really occurred to me until just right now, but now that Beth knows about Mick being her guardian angel and, hence, Coraline, Beth seems to be totally obsessed with finding out if Morgan really is Coraline and even Beth is forgetting about how she is falling in love with Mick. All that is being pushed back in light of this Morgan/Coraline mystery at least for the next episode. Gawd I love this show! :flowers:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

I loved the last scene as well, although as soon as he walked away, I knew he wasn't going to make it easy for Beth to get as close to him as she wanted.

I also found it telling that he said "I murdered my wife" Not Coraline, not that woman. My wife. A few episodes later (Sleeping Beauty), Beth watches as he gazes at Coraline / Morgan in the hospital and comments that he still cares for her..His answer "She was my wife."

For Mick, the tie to Coraline is still there and I wonder if that's what makes him walk away from Beth as the sun rises.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Thought provoking, dsr. Personally I don't think it was thoughts of Coraline that make him walk away. I think it was his not feeling worthy of Beth.

What I found curious about his mention of Cora is the "maybe he would have done that (killed her) anyway". For me, that was a heavy line that insinuates all kinds of story potential. At first I thought maybe he said it so Beth would not feel bad that he did that for her. But after I saw that scene a few times I changed my mind. I think there was a whole lot more behind it.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

GuardianAngel wrote:Thought provoking, dsr. Personally I don't think it was thoughts of Coraline that make him walk away. I think it was his not feeling worthy of Beth.

What I found curious about his mention of Cora is the "maybe he would have done that (killed her) anyway". For me, that was a heavy line that insinuates all kinds of story potential. At first I thought maybe he said it so Beth would not feel bad that he did that for her. But after I saw that scene a few times I changed my mind. I think there was a whole lot more behind it.
I agree....I've just finished reading Red's wonderful 'Anniversary series'. Her interpretation of the years of the on again, off again love- hate relationship between Mick and Cora provide plenty of reason for him to kill her. I wonder what the ML writers would have come up with.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

darkstarrising wrote:
I agree....I've just finished reading Red's wonderful 'Anniversary series'. Her interpretation of the years of the on again, off again love- hate relationship between Mick and Cora provide plenty of reason for him to kill her. I wonder what the ML writers would have come up with.

Nothing as good as Red's version...

I have bored y'all before with the revelation that I only started watching ML with the second half of BC... so 12:04 was only my 2nd FULL episode. I did not get that there was a "MickBeth" before this. I know; she tried to seduce him in BC, but she was high and... as they say, look at him. But she had a boyfriend and Mick was clearly an officer and a gentleman. In The Ringer, he was clearly stuck on his supposedly dead wife.... and every character on the ep (including BEth) kept up the mantra, "Beth has a boyfriend". So this was the first time I realized they were going for some sorta budding relationship between Mick and Beth. Very cool balcony scene. Including really cool song.

And it was also this ep that had me googling Alex O'Loughlin... cause I didn't know the actor's name until Mr. Grace figured that out for me... :blushing: I truly NEVER paid that much attention to an actor before... and I did not realize they list the main character first in the credits... :roll:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I agree, grace. Alex was excellent in that balcony scene. His torment was obvious. Since you missed his stellar acting at the end of OotP I can see why it was the ending of 12:04 that had you googling Alex.

I really disliked the line "Now you know why it could never work." I think he means a lot of things by that. Mick's a vampire and Beth has just witnessed through Shepherd how dangerous they can be. Mick killed his wife. Mick stalked Beth. Mick's watched her grow up (awkward). He obviously feels his inability to walk away from her is something shameful. But I thought that line was almost cruel. But I guess Beth is an enigma to him and her not being angry with him and being so accepting opens the door to 'what ifs' that he's just not prepared to contemplate at this juncture.

ETA: Forgot to add that I love that song too, grace. I thought it was perfect. The guys who chose the music for this show should have won something.

Return to “Episode Discussion”