Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 8: 12:04AM

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: 12:04 (Episode Eight)

Post by wpgrace »

Oh you are so right about the music guys shoulda won something... and the lighting and set people got rooked also... :yes:

I thought it was just cause I came to the show late that I never quite got what the H his line meant... glad to know I'm not alone.... :biggrin:

But it's still a GREAT and memorable scene. And he's just... welll in that scene... Mick is just... :melts: Ya know.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

The way that scene is shot and the acting from both Sophia and Alex combined with the music which was an epic song choice just makes that entire scene one of the standout ML scenes for me. :melts:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I agree. That is one of those quintessential Moonlight scenes--perhaps the writing was slightly flawed, but it was made unforgettable by the incredible music and visual style, and just impeccable acting by Alex and Sophia.
Eryndil
Mortal

Post by Eryndil »

I have a question about this episode that has nagged at me ever since the first time I saw it: has anyone worked out which was the "grey door" that Mick advised Beth not to look behind?
"The show only lasted one season, but memories of Mick's gratuitous shirtless scenes will live on and on." Entertainment Weekly

Because I love Moonlight
susieb
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by susieb »

Eryndil wrote:I have a question about this episode that has nagged at me ever since the first time I saw it: has anyone worked out which was the "grey door" that Mick advised Beth not to look behind?
I've always assumed that the grey door was to Mick's freezer room. And taken into context with him telling Beth to keep her (Audrey) out of his stuff. There'd be too many questions if Audrey saw certain things. Later, on the balcony, Mick's first question to Beth is about Audrey (and what explanations she was given about what happened.)
Susie

Sometimes the past doesn't catch up with you, it haunts you.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

When I saw this episode for the first time, I, too, assumed that the gray door must be the door to his freezer room... but I figured it was downstairs, because of this exchange (note he says OR upstairs, OR through the gray door):
MICK: I would recommend not going into the office.
BETH: Okay.
MICK: Okay. Or upstairs...or through the gray door.
BETH: Wow, this all sounds so "Alice in Wonderland."
MICK: Beware the bottles that say "drink me," okay?
But later on it became obvious that Mick's freezer was upstairs. He went upstairs to sleep in Sleeping Beauty, leaving Josef downstairs; and in Click, Mick confirmed that when he said, "And besides, I sleep in my freezer upstairs, so…"
Eryndil
Mortal

Post by Eryndil »

allegrita wrote:When I saw this episode for the first time, I, too, assumed that the gray door must be the door to his freezer room... but I figured it was downstairs, because of this exchange (note he says OR upstairs, OR through the gray door):
MICK: I would recommend not going into the office.
BETH: Okay.
MICK: Okay. Or upstairs...or through the gray door.
BETH: Wow, this all sounds so "Alice in Wonderland."
MICK: Beware the bottles that say "drink me," okay?
But later on it became obvious that Mick's freezer was upstairs. He went upstairs to sleep in Sleeping Beauty, leaving Josef downstairs; and in Click, Mick confirmed that when he said, "And besides, I sleep in my freezer upstairs, so…"
Yeah, that's the way I looked at it too - it does sound like he is referring to a door downstairs. Curiouser and curiouser. :chin:
"The show only lasted one season, but memories of Mick's gratuitous shirtless scenes will live on and on." Entertainment Weekly

Because I love Moonlight
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Well, I tend to see this as one of the little glitches that happened as Moonlight went through showrunners and lost continuity. I do think it was the freezer room door... maybe they originally intended for it to be downstairs.
Eryndil
Mortal

Post by Eryndil »

Ah yes, sometimes I forget that it's a TV show with writers and not just Mick talking! :biggrin:

Because I love Moonlight
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

allegrita wrote:Well, I tend to see this as one of the little glitches that happened as Moonlight went through showrunners and lost continuity. I do think it was the freezer room door... maybe they originally intended for it to be downstairs.
I agree, Alle. We talked about this possibility a bit on the FoS thread in Moonlight Ambience.

I think in 12:04am, the gray door that he referred to was this one...

I always felt that that's where Mick was coming from when he entered the kitchen at the beginning of episode one.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh that's interesting Lilly... are you thinking that originally THAT was where his freezer was located? Cause frankly, the way the house was likely wired, having the freezer just off the kitchen, well, it woulda made more sense.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Yes, grace -- it's only a gut feeling, but that's where I think the freezer room was intended to be in the pilot. If Mick had been sleeping upstairs, I don't think he would have entered the kitchen from the direction he did.

I think something changed between episodes 8 and 10, and the freezer room got relocated. :shrug:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I bet you're right.

For a show with SUCH discontinuities... it was kick-@$$, wasn't it???? :heart:

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

This probably isn't the right thread for this observation, but it seems to me that a good number of the discontinuities are traceable back to the pilot. The location of the freezer room may be just another thing, like the length of time since Mick was turned, that was tweaked after the first episode.

And, yes - it was definitely kick-@$$, grace. :snicker:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

OK, I'm image challenged right now :dunce: , but near the end of Fleur de Lis, when Morgan is in the shower and Mick is standing outside the room where the shower is, it's a gray door.

Where it is, upstairs or downstairs, y'all have good arguments either way

ETA the silly images I couldn't upload earlier

darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!

Return to “Episode Discussion”