Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 6: B.C. Part II

HotMicks
Ancient

Re: B.C. (Episode Six) Part II

Post by HotMicks »

francis wrote:
Lilly wrote:One of the things that always struck me in the scene with Mick and Josef was Mick's being impressed at Lola's age. Wow - 500 -- almost like he forgot that Josef is over 400 himself and that he too has seen so much in that course of time. Josef just gives him a nod and a smile. He knows too well all the history Lola had seen, but he humors his friend.
Maybe Mick's reaction is an American thing. Sorry, not that I want to be prejudiced, but my experience with Americans (or Canadians) and history goes something like that (and in no way are they all like this):

German: "This house is 80 years old."
American (very impressed): "Wow, that's really something. Did a king build it?"
German: "No, it's just an old hotel. It's so old and decrepit, we will tear it down."
American: "Noooooo!"

German: "This church/building/whatever was built in 1345."
American: "I can't even imagine something being that old. Wasn't that when the Romans were ruling here?"
German: facepalm

For many Americans there seem to be three times: my lifetime, my family history back to the family member who immigrated, very very long ago.
Heh, heh... unfortunately that is often true, Francis. We consider anything before 1950 to be ancient :lol: . I remember sitting among the ruins at the Roman Forum and turning to my friend and saying, "Can you believe how effin' old this place is... Julius Caesar walked here." Of course, so did dinosaurs, but I was impressed with the Romans. :roll: (Alright, I had Shakespeare running through my head, but still....)

ETA: And can I just say, the man can make taking a drink look like sandpaper on a raw throat. That looked painful. :snicker:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

francis wrote:
German: "This house is 80 years old."
American (very impressed): "Wow, that's really something. Did a king build it?"
German: "No, it's just an old hotel. It's so old and decrepit, we will tear it down."
American: "Noooooo!"
True. It really irritates me when we tear down old buildings to make way for some new skyscraper or something. I love going overseas to see the architecture that has withstood wars and hard times over hundreds, sometimes, thousands of years! There was an old hotel near my house that was recently demolished to make way for some stupid-a*s office building. Elvis stayed in the hotel back in the late 70's when he did a concert here! I wanted them to make it a landmark, but newp. :(

On Topic: Yeah, Beth's hair back like that makes her ears stick out. Hee!

Wonderful scene with Mick and Josef...but all of them were. ;) The only thing missing from this ep was a scene between Josef and Lola. Sigh....
*Christy*

Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

wpgrace wrote:ITA SS... the quiet Mick and Josef moments are ones I really treasure from this series... they interacted so well together...

And yeah, Josef was way underused in the early eps...

And did anybody else cringe at Beth's hair style in this last scene? Sometimes they did weird stuff with her hair... this one was not becoming for me...

This is what long haired girls do at the end of the day...tie that hank of hair back and take off their makeup, get comfy. To this day it's the way I can tell the world "The day is over"

PLUS if she's got Josh over and she wants to avoid the latteral mambo, "Dumbo" ears are a good way to do it.

Hey....I grew up with Dumbo ears and my MOM insisted on tying back my hair because of my "Beautiful profile" :blecch:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

francis, you are right about Americans and the age thing. I guess its because we are a relatively new country. Nothing here is nearly as historic as in other countries. Our perspective is skewed.

As for Beth's hair, I thought the pony tail was fine but the headbands should have been tossed.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:francis, you are right about Americans and the age thing. I guess its because we are a relatively new country. Nothing here is nearly as historic as in other countries. Our perspective is skewed.

As for Beth's hair, I thought the pony tail was fine but the headbands should have been tossed.

The headband was my problem... it made her eyes look too pop-y and her ears too big... plus is a bit of a juvenile style for someone who just tried to seduce an 85 year old vampire and hoped to have a chance in hell... I liked her sweater tho...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

wpgrace wrote:
GuardianAngel wrote:francis, you are right about Americans and the age thing. I guess its because we are a relatively new country. Nothing here is nearly as historic as in other countries. Our perspective is skewed.

The headband was my problem... it made her eyes look too pop-y and her ears too big... plus is a bit of a juvenile style for someone who just tried to seduce an 85 year old vampire and hoped to have a chance in hell... I liked her sweater tho...

I confess to having worn my hair like that a few times when it was longer. It was my "I can't be bothered" look so maybe Beth just couldn't be bothered after her seduction didn't go to plan :rofl2:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

And she was with Josh who she probably doesn't feel she needs to impress. But I agree, the headband was overboard.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I had no problem with Beth's hair in that ending scene--I thought it served as a stark contrast to her earlier seductive look---heavier make-up, more 'done' hair. This ending scene showed her looking freshly scrubbed clean and innocent.

And add me to the long list of those who wish we had more Josef time. To Jason's immense acting credit, he took such brief scenes and filled them with so much. Probably another reason why he seems to get acting gigs on television one right after the other--the guy is good.
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:I had no problem with Beth's hair in that ending scene--I thought it served as a stark contrast to her earlier seductive look---heavier make-up, more 'done' hair. This ending scene showed her looking freshly scrubbed clean and innocent.

And add me to the long list of those who wish we had more Josef time. To Jason's immense acting credit, he took such brief scenes and filled them with so much. Probably another reason why he seems to get acting gigs on television one right after the other--the guy is good.
ITA with the Josef thing.

for me though, the hair was a little too innocent.... perhaps an overcompensation for her earlier naughtiness?!
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Yeah, Beth scrubbed off the makeup and tried to squelch her inner wanton, but you could see it peeking out of her eyes from time to time. Hairband and ponytail notwithstanding. :snicker:
SirenSong
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by SirenSong »

:pinklol: Wow...you all read way too much into a hairstyle or lack thereof. :snicker: She just looked like a typical girl comfortable at home. Get home and put the hair up and away. Isn't that what most girls do? But for the record, the hairband was not a good look for her. ;)
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Actually, I loved the hairband with her hair loose, like in 12:04AM... I thought she looked beautiful in that final scene with Mick. It's just the hairband with the severely pulled back hair that doesn't work for me...
SirenSong
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by SirenSong »

allegrita wrote:Actually, I loved the hairband with her hair loose, like in 12:04AM... I thought she looked beautiful in that final scene with Mick. It's just the hairband with the severely pulled back hair that doesn't work for me...
That's what I meant too, Allegrita. I thought her hair in 12:04 was probably the best Beth hair of the season. Too bad they couldn't keep that up throughout the rest of the episodes.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

SirenSong wrote:
allegrita wrote:Actually, I loved the hairband with her hair loose, like in 12:04AM... I thought she looked beautiful in that final scene with Mick. It's just the hairband with the severely pulled back hair that doesn't work for me...
That's what I meant too, Allegrita. I thought her hair in 12:04 was probably the best Beth hair of the season. Too bad they couldn't keep that up throughout the rest of the episodes.

ITA! Now that I have managed to hijack and shallow up a discussion about this ep that HAD been pretty intense... sorry! I just have my little appearance obsessions... since Mick didn't wear any henleys, until the final scene at least, in this ep, at least I have steered clear of that detour... tho he DID look good in that scene... :whistle:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

With a flawless, poreless complexion such as hers, Beth probably would have looked stunning if she was bald...and wearing a headband!!

Return to “Episode Discussion”