Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 6: B.C. Part II

coco
Cleaner

Re: B.C. (Episode Six) Part II

Post by coco »

Oh how cool.

*off to watch BC to see if I can spot it* :thumbs:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I wonder if they changed the script. Maybe at first they wanted Mick to follow Beth, protecting her from the shadows like he did when she was a kid.

I see some fanfic coming up, expanding on this possibility... :cheer:
Jo1027
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Jo1027 »

No one has said anything about Beth's final scene where she is looking at herself in the mirror. What do you all think was going on in her head?
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Jo1027 wrote:No one has said anything about Beth's final scene where she is looking at herself in the mirror. What do you all think was going on in her head?
I think she is beginning to really wonder what she is capable of... and what she really feels for these two men...

And COOL catch on the Alex as the extra! I gotta go see if I could spot that... BC in slo mo... :biggrin:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Jo1027 wrote:No one has said anything about Beth's final scene where she is looking at herself in the mirror. What do you all think was going on in her head?
I always got the impression that her mind has definitely been opened to other possibilities beyond the life she has now. She's thinking about Mick and the possibilities with him and she's thinking about the vial she's just put away and how it made her feel and does she want that feeling again? :chin:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I think she's also looking really hard for any signs of aging...that first wrinkle, that little sag that says she's getting older. What Lola said had to have made an impression.

Lucky
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

librarian_7 wrote:I think she's also looking really hard for any signs of aging...that first wrinkle, that little sag that says she's getting older. What Lola said had to have made an impression.

Lucky

Oh! Hadn't thought of that! Good one, Lucky...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

B.C. is one of my favorite episodes (interestingly, it was not shown on French TV - neither were Dr. Feelgood and The Ringer, btw). I love it so much that the thinking part of my brain is completely overwhelmed and I don't have a lot to say about the episode - I never even thought about germs on the microchip (though I did wonder how Mick got the vial of black crystal). So my comments here are mostly about the discussion (even though the screencaps make thinking difficult, too - great job, GuardianAngel, thanks!).

Regarding Lola's shoulder pads: The power look is back (all over French Vogue - if anything the CBS wardrobe department was a bit ahead of its time). That we (yeah, me too) are reminded of Dynasty is our problem and a sign of our... (no, I'm not going to say it)

Taking the drug was a calculated risk, IMO. Three overdoses in two (or three?) weeks isn't all that many, given that quite a lot of B.C. was going around in the VIP room. In Beth's place I'd have looked up silver (specifically, how much of it is deadly), though, rather than Heroin and PCP.

Beth's embarrassment about the "littble black dress": I wonder, looking at the straps and the upper edge of the decolleté, whether it's not a slip, i. e. underwear. In which case walking around in it wouldn't be like her. Even if it's not any more revealing than what she wore at the club - but people are funny in that respect...

Why should Beth apologize to Mick? She didn't go to him to tease... Might just as well say that Mick owes HER an apology: The poor woman just changed clothes, hairstyle, make-up and jewellery for at least the FOURTH time that day, goes all out trying to seduce a gorgeous guy she's every reason to think is interested in her - and all she gets is a cold shower... How was Beth to know that there's no bed upstairs?

And where was Mick in the 60s and 70s, anyway? He seems to have missed out not only on women's lib, but also on the whole concept of sex for fun (without children and picket fence looming).

Wpgrace wrote: "Had he taken her up on her offer, he'd have been little better than guys who drug women at bars." - Well, I see an enormous difference: If a guy slips something into my drink, he's a criminal. If I have a few too many, that's MY problem. You take the risk, you live with the consequences. And nobody forced Beth to take the black crystal in the first place and to walk all the way to Mick's apartment (anybody know the respective locations? Beth is probably lucky she arrived safe and sound - and without being picked up by the police... Now THAT would have been something to apologize to Josh for :devil: )

Regarding all the discussion about Beth breaking up with Josh: Well, she never did. She might never have. He died on her (or rather, Mick killed him, but I'll get back to that in the respective episode discussion). Actually, I think if Josh had lived - without breaking up with Beth, for which I wouldn't have blamed him - till the glimpse into a not-so-nice vampire world in Sonata, Beth might have married him. And why should Beth have to break up with Josh anyway? If Josh doesn't like the relationship, he can leave, can't he?

Anybody else wonder about Lola's business? I looked up the price for silver in 2007: A metric ton would have cost about half a million dollars. Got to sell quite a lot of drug to recover that. And if Lola had staked the vampires there'd been no overdoses, so the police would have stayed off her back, Beth would never have been interested, and Mick might not have found her. She could still be in business. Seems well worth a bit of blood loss to me (and as long as the stake stays in there shouldn't be all that much blood loss, anyway. You could always bandage around the stake, too. Somebody really should organize a first-aid course for vampires.)

And the other thing I wonder: Would Lola still be alive if she had thought of the line "They are all rogues, they have to be put down anyway"? Pity she didn't - I too would have loved to see more of her.

This page of screencaps is loading so slowly (but gosh, Lola and Mick are looking so fantastic in that fight) that my brain has had time to recover somewhat and I'm beginning to wonder: Why was the police after Lola in the first place? Why did they conclude that three deaths without obvious cause - or three cases of silver poisoning - in a city the size of L.A. - were connected, and connected to an illegal drug? Especially in view of the absolute ineptitude they show in most other episodes...

And why did Mick wait for being thrown across half the room before vamping?

And what became of the lab workers? Ash? Or did they get out? Were they human and are they still around knowing about vampires, or were they vampires knowing how to transform their kind into a drug? Looks like there's still some cleaning up to do...

Last but not least I really hope Mick knows better than to put Scotch into a decanter (not that I know how Brandy would react...) Otherwise I love the scene! It also answers the question whether vampires can get drunk...

Bye, Kade
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

Wpgrace wrote: "Had he taken her up on her offer, he'd have been little better than guys who drug women at bars." -

Well, I see an enormous difference: If a guy slips something into my drink, he's a criminal. If I have a few too many, that's MY problem. You take the risk, you live with the consequences.
Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more on this one. I don't know how they do things in France but where I come from, even if a woman is under the influence a gentleman does NOT take advantage. And, of course, Mick was IN LOVE with Beth. Would anyone want their "first time" with someone they love to be while their love was under the influence and not thinking clearly? Some men would but not our classy Mick. All that is beside the fact that Mick still wasn't ready emotionally to take the leap romantically. He was barely there by episode 16.

This is why we all love Mick: He's a gentleman and takes his relationship with Beth seriously. To even suggest that Mick should take advantage of Beth is so far from the character of Mick it's way, way, way off the mark. And of course, Mick knew the power of the BC on a human, he had a clue what Beth was experiencing.
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

:dizzy: Kade...didn't you say in your first post ( or close to your first one) that you thought Moonlight was the worst show you had ever seen? That was you, right? Excuse me if I'm wrong. Anyway, from reading your post above about BC, I'm thinking you are not "getting" Moonlight and the story the creators and writers were trying to portray to the viewers. Moonlight is a love story about Mick's love for a mortal woman and how he deals with that dilemma. Don't get me wrong. You have every right to dislike Moonlight or any other tv show, just as we all have that right. Yet, you appear to have continued to watch it, which is curious. I know if I watch a show and don't like it I don't watch it again in hopes that it will grow on me. Thankfully, I love Moonlight. It has flaws but most of us die hard fans accept them and love it anyway. It's hard to explain if you haven't been "bitten". :ghug: :giggle: :dracula:
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

You really think I'd spend hours here if I hadn't been "bitten"? I"m completely obsessed - from the first two minutes of the first episode. The show didn't need to "grow" on me - I was hooked from the beginning. But the flaws came very close to putting me off...

I also happen not to agree with Hollywood's idea of love as currently shown...But, as I said before, I have no problems with the B.C. episode - rather with some of the comments...

And by the way, I find it pretty strange to be fascinated by Mick being a "bad boy" on the one hand, finding it perfectly acceptable that he takes justice in his own hands (i. e. kills people) - and to expect that he behaves like a perfect gentleman on the other.

As to how they do things in France: There was a TV campaign all summer warning "Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to unwanted sex, unprotected sex..." I prefer being not under the influence (of whatever) rather than hoping the guy opposite is a gentleman - seems a lot less risky.

Bye, Kade
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Mick is a complex character and I think it is that complexity that makes him attractive. He is the only vampire we saw actually kill anybody on the show (for all Josef's protestations about tar pits); he had a clear set of rules, a moral code that he lived by and it was very definitely not the same as the law of the land. That complexity and rigid adherence to his own vision of what was right and acceptable was what made him such an intriguing character and much more than a one-dimensional hero. He was capable of being a gentleman and a vicious killer - that's interesting to me and I think it played out in numerous ways throughout most of the season.

He did have an idealised view of Beth, of being her guardian angel, and this, like so any other things, affected the way he interacted with her, including in this episode.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I just watched B.C. for the first time in a while. This is one of my favorite episodes. I can't identify with Beth for taking the B.C. because I've never experimented with any drugs but I applaud Mick for his restraint. Lola was a great villian and it still kills me that we never saw a scene with Josef and Lola. What always bothered me was the picture of Lola in the locket. It looked like a photo to me not a sketch although I could be wrong. Wouldn't she only have been able to have a photo of herself in the last few years?

Red has a good point that Mick had his firm moral code. He even dealt better with the destruction of the Monaghans in Sonata then Josef.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

cassy, I went back to confirm my memory, and in the still, that looks like a pencil or charcoal portrait sketch in the watch.

Lucky
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

That makes sense. It looked like quite a rendering I thought an old B&W photo

Return to “Episode Discussion”