Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 7: The Ringer

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: The Ringer (Episode Seven)

Post by wpgrace »

allegrita wrote:It's so fun to speculate--and I know it's been said before, but doesn't it say volumes about the talent of these actors that they were able to portray sooo much with just their body language and facial expressions? Alex, Shannyn, and Sophia just blew me away in this episode, and so did Jason. The looks that Josef gives Mick as he's trying to convince Mick that Morgan can't be Coraline make you go hmmmm... :chin: how much does Josef know that he's not saying?

Oh Alle... I so agree with that... Josef had SOMETHING up his sleeve in this ep... and darnit we'll never know what it was... but he had SOMETHING up that elegant sleeve of his...

And Mick knew it... just couldn't get the bugger to fess up, but Mick kept Josef close to him in this ep... cause he KNEW Josef knew more than he was saying... which I think was often Josef's way, so Mick knew better than to confront him, even tho he was clearly frustrated... but he knew.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

Speaking of speculations, any thoughts on the real Morgan Vincent?
I am not sure if it has been discussed but Coraline didn't invent her, she did exist. :?
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

dc, I've always presumed that Coraline killed her and assumed her identity. Beth's checking seemed too real for her to be a fabricated personality.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Yes I think if she was a made up character then Beth would have discovered that during her checks. I always assumed that Coraline had killed her and stepped into her shoes.
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Sounds like Morgan Vincent existed. I always assumed Coraline did away with her. My question is, how long has Cora been at this? Was the reputation Morgan has as a gritty photographer the work of Morgan herself, or was it Coraline? Just how much time and effort has she put into this plan?
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:Sounds like Morgan Vincent existed. I always assumed Coraline did away with her. My question is, how long has Cora been at this? Was the reputation Morgan has as a gritty photographer the work of Morgan herself, or was it Coraline? Just how much time and effort has she put into this plan?

Well... she's a vamp... she's got all the time in the world. And she could have bumped off Morgan and assumed her persona AS a vamp. BUT since Morgan had a family--Beth talked to her father-- then I would figure the reputation for photographic excellence really was Morgan's and that Morgan was the one who did all that free lance, stringer work in Chicago. And that Cora only took on Morgan's persona, and then only took the cure, near to coming to work for Buzzwire.

Plus, while Cora may have planned to pull a mind game on Mick (in payback for burning her alive and all) I would guess she waited until she couldn't wait anymore to do it. Once the MickBeth relationship started, that might have sped up her time table. So offing Morgan and assuming her life may have been a fairly last minute decision.

I have put way too much thought into this... :devil:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle: But we appreciate it, Grace. I'm inclined to agree. I think the reputation and backstory was all the real Morgan and Cora bumped her off as near (in terms of timetable) to the fire as possible.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

But how come that real Morgan's parents hadn't noticed her absence?
I guess she hadn't kept in touch with her family.... Didn't Beth mention how long she had known Morgan for? I forgot :blushing:
lunalux
Fledgling

Post by lunalux »

darlingcat wrote:Speaking of speculations, any thoughts on the real Morgan Vincent?
I am not sure if it has been discussed but Coraline didn't invent her, she did exist. :?
ETA: Beth says they've been using Morgan's stuff for a couple of years, and at the fire she says that they've known each other a couple of months (presumably having met in person for the first time?)

DC - The whole Morgan Vincent plot hole really bugged me when I saw the episode. So I played with it in my final four - episode 15 (Lunalux is fundamentally opposed to self-promotion, but now that you've mentioned it). Considering that that was followed up with FdL (I saw Dr. Feelgood in reruns and then watch all the epis on Unbox over a couple of days) I really thought there really needed to be some explanation.
Last edited by lunalux on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

I'm going to go against the flow.... I think that Morgan Vincent was just a careful backstory that Coraline had probably paid a lot of money for. Beth spoke to someone who said he was her father. Even Beth herself suspected that this was only a shallow confirmation of MOrgan's existence, after discovering the true level of Coraline's persistence and cleverness, and wanted to check into it deeper. Beth felt it was entirely possible for Coraline to have faked her backstory, otherwise she never would have wanted to check further.

I think the photographic work was her own. I think everything we know about Coraline suggests an artistic temperament and she certainly was very comfortable with the equipment. She's been in town for months and I think Buzzwire would have noticed a drop in the quality of 'MOrgan's' work if the work wasn't Coraline's own.

Also, I think that a murder raises the possibility of an investigation - you can never control when someone else might miss the person, or who might report someone missing - this would have been too big a risk. It would have risked Coraline having to ditch the Morgan persona and skip town if an investigation (which she couldn't anticipate) began. That wouldn't have suited her at all.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:I'm going to go against the flow.... I think that Morgan Vincent was just a careful backstory that Coraline had probably paid a lot of money for. Beth spoke to someone who said he was her father. Even Beth herself suspected that this was only a shallow confirmation of MOrgan's existence, after discovering the true level of Coraline's persistence and cleverness, and wanted to check into it deeper. Beth felt it was entirely possible for Coraline to have faked her backstory, otherwise she never would have wanted to check further.

I think the photographic work was her own. I think everything we know about Coraline suggests an artistic temperament and she certainly was very comfortable with the equipment. She's been in town for months and I think Buzzwire would have noticed a drop in the quality of 'MOrgan's' work if the work wasn't Coraline's own.
I have to agree, Luxe. Vampires are in the business of creating new iron-clad identities. Creating Morgan would be no different than coming up with a brand new identity when a vampire needed to relocate. They've been fooling employers and the government apparently for decades. This doesn't seem like that big a deal.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

Interesting speculation there. Coraline might have enlisted a friend, cohort or answering service to answer the phone as Morgan's father. Kind of like in Seinfield, you know "Vandalay Industries" ---sorry to all the non-Sienfield fans...... But if Coraline did kill Morgan (or maybe turned her) that makes me hate her more, and that's really too bad because I was starting to like Coraline a little more in light of how much Mick loved her and was drawn to her. But she really was a witch, wasn't she?
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

helloeeze -- We can only offer our opinions here as to what happened with Morgan or whether she existed at all. The fact is, we just don't know.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

ITA Lilly.

Helloeeze -- my ex partner had one of those answering services where they said whatever you wanted them to say!
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

No, I don't think she was a witch, Helloeeze. She was a vampire in love. ;)

I've always leaned more toward the false identity with Morgan and Luxe and Lilly already covered the reasons why. She was comfortable with her photography and good point Luxe that a variation in her work would have been noticed had it not been Coraline's all along. She may have taken-up photography, possibly as part of her plan to get in with Beth at Buzzwire.
Last edited by mwj01 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong

Return to “Episode Discussion”