Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 7: The Ringer

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: The Ringer (Episode Seven)

Post by wpgrace »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:
redwinter101 wrote:Coraline has learned a lot along the way - and she certainly seems to have shed the raving insanity that led her to kidnap Beth - and Morgan is alluring in a different kind of way, but she still fundamentally sees people as expendable IMO. She had a plan and she executed it. I do think that her experiences of humanity have changed her, but she's still manipulative, driven and determined. As Josef said, she's back for Mick and she'll do whatever it takes. Which makes the conclusion of TMC even more intriguing.

And God alone knows who she bumped off to set up Morgan Vincent's backstory.....

Red

hmm... am not sure whether the kidnapping was due to raving insanity or the desperation of a woman about to lose the love of her life. they're not quite the same thing. I see Coraline's actions as the latter. I agree that she sees people as expendable - she's been a vampire for centuries and maybe human for a couple of years? Couple of months? She's definitely back for Mick - I think she has moved in because she's witnessed his growing attraction toward Beth - and she went to the trouble to set up an elaborate back story (BuzzWire has been buying photos for her for months). But she wants to punish him a little too (who wouldn't?)
I'm not sure Cora sees humans as expendable just because she is a vamp... she was also an aristocrat of the ancien regime... wherein the poor were also expendable... there are people and then there are people. And yeah... guessing there had been a Morgan Vincent at one time, who's family hasn't seen her in awhile but think she's ok cause they see her pics in the newspapers...

And as Mick says... as far as setting this whole thing up to lure him in... "What's elaborate? Set a fire, fake a few photos..." He knew her well... he was the only one who really suspected and he kept at it until Josef and Beth finally believed in his own instincts... of course they she faked him out too... but still... he was right; he was right allllll along.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Yep, grace, Mick was right...and nobody believed him!

It's a tribute to Shannyn Sossomon and Alex that Morgan/Coraline ended up being as sympathetic a character as she did. As written in the script, she could have come off as simply evil and cold-blooded. But that's not the impression I got...and I was a total Mick/Beth shipper at that point. (I am now compartmentalized into Mick/Beth on one side and Mick/Coraline on the other. My two sides are even friends!) ;) Because of the amazing acting of those two, the relationship of Mick and Coraline came to life. Shannyn played Morgan utterly differently than Coraline, and Alex portrayed the confused and fascinated Mick to perfection. Coraline definitely came off as a vampire with no scruples, but somehow still she was a sympathetic character...despite everything she did in this episode, and in the past (not to mention the future, but that's for another discussion).
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

wpgrace wrote: I'm not sure Cora sees humans as expendable just because she is a vamp... she was also an aristocrat of the ancien regime... wherein the poor were also expendable... there are people and then there are people. And yeah... guessing there had been a Morgan Vincent at one time, who's family hasn't seen her in awhile but think she's ok cause they see her pics in the newspapers...

And as Mick says... as far as setting this whole thing up to lure him in... "What's elaborate? Set a fire, fake a few photos..." He knew her well... he was the only one who really suspected and he kept at it until Josef and Beth finally believed in his own instincts... of course they she faked him out too... but still... he was right; he was right allllll along.
hmmm.... good point grace, yes there were people who were expendable all along the way. And yes, what's elaborate indeed. Except she killed someone! She's so pert and perky... how could she? Hard to get my head around.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

allegrita wrote:Yep, grace, Mick was right...and nobody believed him!

It's a tribute to Shannyn Sossomon and Alex that Morgan/Coraline ended up being as sympathetic a character as she did. As written in the script, she could have come off as simply evil and cold-blooded. But that's not the impression I got...and I was a total Mick/Beth shipper at that point. (I am now compartmentalized into Mick/Beth on one side and Mick/Coraline on the other. My two sides are even friends!) ;) Because of the amazing acting of those two, the relationship of Mick and Coraline came to life. Shannyn played Morgan utterly differently than Coraline, and Alex portrayed the confused and fascinated Mick to perfection. Coraline definitely came off as a vampire with no scruples, but somehow still she was a sympathetic character...despite everything she did in this episode, and in the past (not to mention the future, but that's for another discussion).
Shannyn's Coraline was a little doll.... the chemistry between them in FdL is undeniable.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

*nodding head with both Alle and Luxe*

Because of the chemistry with Alex and Shannyn, I would've loved to have seen a few more eps with this dynamic... him figuring out how far to believe Cora... how to act around her... how to maintain his perpetual cool with her in the room... it was an interesting dynamic.

And I thought Shannyn was taller than Sophia also... maybe Sophia was wearing heels in the fire scene and Shannyn wasn't?

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Just thinking about the height perception thing...often when we see Beth and Coraline in the same shot, Coraline is positioned higher in the shot...she's standing and Beth is sitting, or Beth is bent over, or lower on stairs. It's only in that first scene that they stand on equal footing, and at the same height.

What does this mean? No idea.

Lucky
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I have no idea what the height thing means either but it IS interesting.

Coraline has had lots of time to think this whole thing through. And she's taken her time. That doesn't seem to conform with her personality. She seems like the instant gratification type of gal. But I guess she figures she has forever, right? Let's see.....she must have done away with the real Morgan. Taken a job as a photographer. Followed Micka and Beth around taking pictures. Befriended Beth. Got Matola to help her. Set a huge fire. Had Matola kill a woman (his girlfriend?). Stage the burglary in her home. And then worked on Mick.

Now did she do all this just to get him back? I believe she meant to punish him. Not sure how far she was willing to go though. Was it just a little phsychological torture and then get him back? Or was she looking for major pay back but realized she just wanted him?
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

GuardianAngel wrote:I have no idea what the height thing means either but it IS interesting.

Coraline has had lots of time to think this whole thing through. And she's taken her time. That doesn't seem to conform with her personality. She seems like the instant gratification type of gal. But I guess she figures she has forever, right? Let's see.....she must have done away with the real Morgan. Taken a job as a photographer. Followed Micka and Beth around taking pictures. Befriended Beth. Got Matola to help her. Set a huge fire. Had Matola kill a woman (his girlfriend?). Stage the burglary in her home. And then worked on Mick.

Now did she do all this just to get him back? I believe she meant to punish him. Not sure how far she was willing to go though. Was it just a little phsychological torture and then get him back? Or was she looking for major pay back but realized she just wanted him?
GA, I think there was very definitely an intention to punish him. Everything was done so very carefully to remind him that he killed her - the fire, the fleur de lys on the other woman, her comments about how terrible it would be to die in a fire etc etc. Now this is Mick we're talking here, king of self doubt and loathing... she had decades of being his wife, she'd have to know that that sort of stuff would really stick him in the guts. That he'd feel really guilty for having killed her. She was really twisting the knife there. But she still wanted him too. I think she wanted to both punish and woo him back. Dark and twisted, just as Josef said. ooh that makes me all shivery.
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

GuardianAngel wrote:Let's see.....she must have done away with the real Morgan.
I'm confused about this because Beth called her family pretending to be from the "Wildcat Alumni Board". Where the heck is the real Morgan Vincent?
*Christy*

SirenSong
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by SirenSong »

wondergirl9847 wrote:
I'm confused about this because Beth called her family pretending to be from the "Wildcat Alumni Board". Where the heck is the real Morgan Vincent?
LaBrea Tarpits? :snicker:

As for the real Morgan Vincent, maybe there was one, maybe not. She could have hired people to answer those phone calls, or maybe she did do away with her and step into her shoes. Obviously, according to the writers, this wasn't important enough to answer. ;)

As for height differences, I think SHannyn just gives the impression of being much taller because she's so statuesque and lithe. According to IMDb, Sophia is 5'6" and Shannyn is 5'7", although ShannynSossamon.com lists her height as 5'6".
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

wondergirl9847 wrote:
There may not have been a real 'Morgan Vincent'. We've seen how well off or well connected vamps have smart computer guys who smooth things for them. Being well off (old family, big party house, I'm assuming she is) and well connected (she knows Josef, her family is connected to french royalty) I'm assuming Coraline also has access to computer folk who can lay down a false trail for her.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

wondergirl9847 wrote:
My guess is, dead. Killed by Coraline, or by Hank Mottola on her orders.

Lucky
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

SirenSong wrote:
wondergirl9847 wrote:
LaBrea Tarpits? :snicker:

As for the real Morgan Vincent, maybe there was one, maybe not. She could have hired people to answer those phone calls, or maybe she did do away with her and step into her shoes. Obviously, according to the writers, this wasn't important enough to answer. ;)

As for height differences, I think SHannyn just gives the impression of being much taller because she's so statuesque and lithe. According to IMDb, Sophia is 5'6" and Shannyn is 5'7", although ShannynSossamon.com lists her height as 5'6".

That makes sense, SS... the two were essentially the same height... but yeah, Shannyn looks taller, she is thinner, leaner, longer lined...

And I think Cora likely offed the real Morgan because she didn't have forever to plan this little charade. Mick and Beth had only been an item a short time...a coupla months. I think that IS why Cora has now surfaced. She may have been working up ways to get Mick back, but suddenly with this Beth complication, her time table had to move up. So she needed an in with the reporter... being a photog fit that bill... so she would have had to build a false background for Morgan... which would've required some work to get her a reputation in the business... or she coulda just offed the real Morgan, and none of the real woman's family yet knew about the death. Frankly, the latter is just easier... and since she was willing to kill the woman in the fire (and maybe THAT was the real Morgan), I don't see her hesitating to kill a photog whose life she wishes to assume. Again as Mick said, What's elaborate?

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

The woman in the fire was named Diane Apple. And when you think about it, Beth had found a trail of photo credits for "Morgan Vincent" dating back a couple of years, plus, she had to have had university records (which may have been how Beth was able to find an address to call representing herself as being from an alumni board...) In short, too much evidence of a real Morgan Vincent for the whole thing to have been a false identity. Much more likely that it's a case of murder, followed by identity theft.

Lucky
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

librarian_7 wrote:The woman in the fire was named Diane Apple. And when you think about it, Beth had found a trail of photo credits for "Morgan Vincent" dating back a couple of years, plus, she had to have had university records (which may have been how Beth was able to find an address to call representing herself as being from an alumni board...) In short, too much evidence of a real Morgan Vincent for the whole thing to have been a false identity. Much more likely that it's a case of murder, followed by identity theft.

Lucky

Wow. Lucky... how do we know the woman's name? Have I missed a whole scene or was I just so intent at staring at Mick I missed the words?

Return to “Episode Discussion”