Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 5: Arrested Development

coco
Cleaner

Re: Arrested Development (Episode Five)

Post by coco »

wpgrace wrote:I find it interesting that there's been relatively little discussion regarding this ep... and that the preponderance of posts, other than GA's wonderful pics and caption summaries, have been about how Mick looks in this ep... which WAS amazing and, granted, some of the superficiality is my fault as that's what I've posted about (surprise!!)...

At any rate, I am wondering if folks have just been busy elsewhere, or if there is some other reason that this ep hasn't generated much conversation so far...

And not complaining or grumbling in any way... or expecting anything else. I just noticed it and wondered if there was a reason....
Grace in my case it's just been a time factor thing. Haven't had any to contribute unfortunately. Missed the end of the Fever discussion too which I was sad about. I need way more hours in my day :sigh:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

I think the reason I haven't spent much time discussing this one is...well, because this is my least favorite epiosde. I even liked Click better than this ep.

What I will say is this episode sees Mick fighting against forces he is powerless to defeat. He's fighting his attraction to Beth and he's fighting fate, and in both cases, he's going to lose. He says he's doing it for her own good. I say he's scared - scared of a chance to be happy, scared of hurting Beth, scared of maybe not being able to blame his monster for all the bad stuff he's done in his life if Beth accepts all of him.

Beth's more willing to admit to a connection between them. Mick may be vampire-strong, but he's got nothing on Beth in the emotional strength department. Our girl is tough. ;-)

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
nayp
Fledgling

Post by nayp »

Really sad, missed Fever last week, oh the Valentine thing! This episode, was my least favorite. Not that there was not some cute moments in it, it's just that the writers could have done so much better after Fever. This episode after Fever had me waiting for this "oh my God" moment, and it just fell flat.
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

I personally loved this episode. Love the banter between Mick & Beth and I love how determined Beth is in it. She had Mick well and truly flustered in this episode. My favourite parts of the ep haven't been touched on yet so I'll wait and come back and post then...... hopefully :juggle:

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
nayp
Fledgling

Post by nayp »

The part of this episode I did love, was the first time Josef met Beth. The looks between Mick and him were priceless.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Beth and Josh, along with some guests, celebrate their one year anniversary.

Beth's friend (Marissa?) proposes a toast and recounts how the two met. Apparently they literally bumped into each other with their cars in a parking lot the size of Rhode Island. Marissa thinks it's fate.

They all toast.

The phone rings and Beth answers it.

She gets some looks from Josh so she tells whoever it is that it's not a good time.

Beth explains that she's working on a case and only has a small window to get into the morgue.

Josh tells her that if she needs to go, to go ahead to the morgue.

Beth doesn't argue. She gets her coat to leave. Josh follows her out.

Beth thinks he's made. He says he's not mad but it IS pretty rude for her to bail out on their party.

Josh makes a comment about HE calls and she runs. He thought it was Mick that called Beth. She tells him it was her contact at the morgue who called. Josh says what else could he think. He saw how the two of them looked at each other when they bumped into Mick. He couldn't miss it.

Beth says this is not the right time to have this conversation. Josh is disbelieving. It's their one year anniversary, they are having a dinner. He cooked the chicken!

Beth reminds him that she said she'd be back as soon as she can. A fed up Josh tells her to take her time. Ewwww. Serious trouble in paradise.

Mick goes to check out the address he got for the missing girl which is a crime scene. His VO tells us that vampires don't usually have to frequent women of the trade.

Not when there are willing freshies and the basic vamp appeal.

Mick stops in front of the door and gives a sniff. He says this was different. There was a struggle.

We get a peek at what happened in there.

Resistance and defeat. And not only for the victim, but for the vampire as well. Hmmm.

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Poor girl looked so tired when Josh harrangues (yeah I know I spelled that wrong) her about leaving to go to the morgue. Although, it was nice to realize our rabbit had a bit of a spine and called Beth out about running out on her guests.

Am I the only one that wanted to smack Marisa until her teeth rattled when she did that toast?

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

LOL, PNW. Nope. She was so irritating she made my teeth ache.

This isn't one of my favourite episodes either. I'm not really sure why because it has some marvellous scenes - some of which have been covered to date but some of my very faves are still to come. The hunt for a missing small-town girl should have been compelling - after all, it's what Mick's good at.

I think it all came down to the teen vamp. And that acne *shudders*. It was SO off-putting that it made me cringe and hence became my over-riding memory of the episode.

However, back to the discussion - I loved the Mick/Josef happy hour conversation. It had a lovely light tone, even though they both knew they were talking about something potentially significant. Josef's playful prying and Mick's light-hearted avoidance were just such perfect character expositions - a gem of a scene.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
SirenSong
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by SirenSong »

What I thought was a MAJOR missed opportunity from a writing perspective was the scene where Mick tells Josef that he fed from a human! Can you imagine Josef's reaction?? What a treat that would have been to watch! :cheering:

This wasn't my fave episode either for numerous reasons. Teen vamp....ewww. Heck, we didn't even know his name (unless you checked out IMDb). Marissa? Talk about frenemy, huh? No wonder Beth's friends are never seen or heard from again if she's any indication.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:LOL, PNW. Nope. She was so irritating she made my teeth ache.

This isn't one of my favourite episodes either. I'm not really sure why because it has some marvellous scenes - some of which have been covered to date but some of my very faves are still to come. The hunt for a missing small-town girl should have been compelling - after all, it's what Mick's good at.

I think it all came down to the teen vamp. And that acne *shudders*. It was SO off-putting that it made me cringe and hence became my over-riding memory of the episode.

However, back to the discussion - I loved the Mick/Josef happy hour conversation. It had a lovely light tone, even though they both knew they were talking about something potentially significant. Josef's playful prying and Mick's light-hearted avoidance were just such perfect character expositions - a gem of a scene.

Red
Guest casting was just a problem for me in this ep: I agree the teen vamp was a freak show... but frankly I didn't like Marissa either... or the old parent couple (could they have BEEN any more Iowa corn-grower-without- a-freaking-clue stereotypical?), or the little hooker daughter who just was icky and tacky... they all creeped me out, each in their own special ways.

And since I was no fan of the actor who played Josh.... I ONLY liked the scenes Mick was in.

And I did love the Mick/Josef scenes... I always loved those...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
nana

Post by nana »

SirenSong wrote:What I thought was a MAJOR missed opportunity from a writing perspective was the scene where Mick tells Josef that he fed from a human! Can you imagine Josef's reaction?? What a treat that would have been to watch! :cheering:

also the missed scene when mick tells josef beth is the child he saved for coraline...

This wasn't my fave episode either for numerous reasons. Teen vamp....ewww. Heck, we didn't even know his name (unless you checked out IMDb). Marissa? Talk about frenemy, huh? No wonder Beth's friends are never seen or heard from again if she's any indication.

i just didn't like marissas singsong voice....
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Yes the guest casting wasn't at it's best in this one. Not a fan of the teen vamp either and I always have to restrain myself from putting my foot through the TV when Marissa is on :snicker:

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

coco wrote:Yes the guest casting wasn't at it's best in this one. Not a fan of the teen vamp either and I always have to restrain myself from putting my foot through the TV when Marissa is on :snicker:

And she's in 2 scenes, yes? Both in this ep?? Hated em both.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
nana

Post by nana »

JORDAN HAD A COMMENT, ON HIS "I MADE YOU A CHICKEN" LINE IN HIS INTERVIEW....

SAID IT DIDN'T SEEM TO FIT TO HIM EITHER..WASEN'T SUPRISED THE FANS RAN WITH IT. :gasp:
nayp
Fledgling

Post by nayp »

With us talking about Marissa, I do wish Beth had a true blue BFF in Moonlight, like Josef was to Mick. Someone she could talk to over lunch about her feelings for Mick and knew about him. I just think it would have been so cool to have a female Josef for Beth.

Return to “Episode Discussion”