Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 5: Arrested Development

VampFan5
Rogue vampire

Re: Arrested Development (Episode Five)

Post by VampFan5 »

nayp wrote:With us talking about Marissa, I do wish Beth had a true blue BFF in Moonlight, like Josef was to Mick. Someone she could talk to over lunch about her feelings for Mick and knew about him. I just think it would have been so cool to have a female Josef for Beth.
I think Maureen from Buzzwire was the closest they got to her having a buddy and then they killed her off. I agree it would have been interesting to hear girl talk about Mick. They tried to have her bond with Simone in Sonata but I just didn't buy the chemistry. They didn't look like they would be friends if you took out the vampire equation. Beth would have probably thought Simone was a stuck up hot shot lawyer. IMO.

VampFan5 :swords:
Travis and the Tar Pit Tails.....a story by VampFan5
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

VampFan5 wrote:
nayp wrote:With us talking about Marissa, I do wish Beth had a true blue BFF in Moonlight, like Josef was to Mick. Someone she could talk to over lunch about her feelings for Mick and knew about him. I just think it would have been so cool to have a female Josef for Beth.
I think Maureen from Buzzwire was the closest they got to her having a buddy and then they killed her off. I agree it would have been interesting to hear girl talk about Mick. They tried to have her bond with Simone in Sonata but I just didn't buy the chemistry. They didn't look like they would be friends if you took out the vampire equation. Beth would have probably thought Simone was a stuck up hot shot lawyer. IMO.

VampFan5 :swords:

They did seem intent to isolate BEth... thus making her attachment to a vampire more believable and able to be pulled off, ya think?
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Raven
Fledgling

Post by Raven »

Problem with Beth having a friend to talk to about Mick is everything centers around him being a vampire. It's like when Mick came to Beth's apartment after LeeJay shot himself. VO... "because I'm a vampire". She'd have to think about what she says before she says it and eventually...screw up or get caught up in lies. What I always felt was that regardless that there were sexual undertones that they ignored, Mick and Beth could always talk to one another and about things that mattered...probably about everything except their attraction for one another or the turmoil it was causing Beth's realtionship with Josh, but pretty much everything else.
Talking about pimplevamp, those pointy white fang fingernails gave me the willies, too. What's up with those? Mick didn't grow funky fang fingernails. None of the other vamps did. Ewwww.
Thank you TugaFanatic for my brilliant avi.
Thank you moonnoir for my wonderful banner.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Who knows, had Moonlight continued maybe Simone would have been that person for Beth.
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

I never really liked Simone and I didn't see Beth and Simone really hitting it off in the show! I thought Simone was a bad choice for Josef too. The chemistry just wasn't there. Maybe it was the actress herself but she seemed too distant and I didn't find her believable.

mitzie
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

You know--I felt that way at first, mitzie, but Simone has grown on me a little. She's an interesting character, and I think the actress had a difficult line to walk with her. She's a lawyer, a professional, who Josef depends on for all sorts of things involving legal expertise (I assume MOST of them to be in the area of corporate law, but not all of 'em!). And she's also a freshie, with everything that entails. A life of utter devotion to the succor and comfort of her patron. And added to that are her deep feelings for Josef and his feelings for her (the exact nature of which was not revealed).

What I first viewed as a stiffness and stilted manner in Simone I later came to see as her attempt to maintain the veneer of a professional relationship under decidedly unprofessional circumstances. Josef wasn't very considerate of Simone's pride (hide your eyes, Lucky and Josefites) at the event at the sports arena; and once again, he put her into a very difficult position when he offered her blood to Mick at his place. She had a sort of inner dignity about her that appealed to me, but I admit that I didn't appreciate it at first.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Actually, Allegrita, I've said much the same thing about Josef not treating Simone very considerately. I think his conduct in dragging her off "for drinks" in front of Mick and Beth was damned rude, in fact. And she looked very embarrassed...as she said, she felt feeding him was a very intimate thing, and there he was announcing it to Mick and Beth (whom she didn't know well).

Sure, we forgive him most anything, but I never felt that was one of Josef's finest moments.

Lucky
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

*Ahem* anyway, back on topic...(we can always get back to Simone when we get to Sonata...) I do think Marissa is a very irritating person. It's no wonder she didn't last but the one ep. Wasn't too impressed with the other "friends" at the party, either.

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Eeek--thank you, Lucky, for rescuing me from myself! :slaphead:

Marisa is especially annoying, because she should have been a wonderful character, and it would have been fun to stick someone like her into the stories at various points. Everyone has a frienemy who raises that slightly-embarrassing topic just at the most inconvenient time or happens to OOOOOPSIE, mention that thing you didn't want anybody to know about...in front of the boss. ;) And played well, by an actress who could carry it off, I think Marisa could have been great.

Sadly, not so much in ML world. Thank goodness we were only subjected to her once.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I don't know if it was because they never really had time to develop the show and the eps... but guest casting on ML was very hit and miss. The main characters were cast wonderfully... tho I guess that's after the second try.

The guests were spotty.. in some eps they hit the nail on the head and in others they clearly squarely nailed their thumbs.... AD is, sadly, in the latter category. Unfortunately, the guest stars usually had enough screen time that their lousiness dragged their eps down to a certain extent.

(Tho Fever was great for this and BC, coming up, I liked the guest actors... and when the guests worked well, it improved my perception of the episode).

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

As far as guest stars go, I agree. Some were really good and some were really bad. Look at The Cleaner(s). The first one was dead on. And went downhill. Don't even get me started!

Beth arrives at the morgue and passes her contact a little something for getting her in.

She goes in to inspect the body. She notices there is no name on the toe tag.

The morgue attendant says she went by one of those stripper names.

Beth takes a peek under the sheet. My guess, from her reaction, is that it's not pretty (the guy was a biter, after all).

The morgue guy laughs at her reaction. Beth is indignant that he thinks it's funny.

She tells him he's sick. They're inturrupted by his boss and some other people coming. The attendant leaves, Beth hides and in walks the boss with Mick and his clients.

He's brought them their to identify the dead girl.

Mick smells Beth as he walks in.

He pulls back the sheet from the dead girl's face.

The couple tell him that it's not her. It's not their daughter.

Mick is stunned. Apparently he's not wrong too often.

The clients leave and Mick comes to tell Beth she can come out now.

Mick asks what she's doing there. She says she was going to ask him the same thing.

No; the person hiding around the corner gets to go first. So Beth tells him that she's following up on a predator on the loose with an odd MO. Mick asks if he's a biter.

Mick tells her the killer was a vampire.

The walk over to the body. Mick lifts the sheet to view the outcome of the MO. Beth cringes.

He tells her that the vampire is a frustrated and dangerous one. Beth asks him what he's doing there.

Mick tells her that he's looking for a girl. The daughter of the couple that was with him.

But this was not their daughter. He starts to tell Beth about where he'd gone to look for her - at the crime scene. Beth knew the address and finished it for him.

Beth tells him that she had been there too - it's how she ended up at the morgue.

Weird, huh? Beth tells him she's cold and they leave the room.

Last edited by GuardianAngel on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

And yet more beautiful lighting in this scene (I could build a shrine to the DP) - the blue tinge to the morgue lighting throughout is gorgeous and ethereal. I loved the little bite that Mick demonstrated to Beth - so playful, given the awkwardness that is to follow....

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:And yet more beautiful lighting in this scene (I could build a shrine to the DP) - the blue tinge to the morgue lighting throughout id gorgeous and ethereal. I loved the little bite that Mick demonstrated to Beth - so playful, given the awkwardness that is to follow....

Red

That playful little bite also shows how far they have come already... in DF, when she says the killer had an unusual MO... and implied "something did this" he gets all defensive about her knowing about a vamp crime, and thinking ill of vamps.

Here, he's over it, she's over it, just another MickBeth killer-hunting thrill ride... and yeah, another vamp killer... no biggie... :snicker:

And I agree GA... none of the subsequent Cleaners were ever as good as that first one...

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I love how immediate his response to Beth's presence was. He barely was in the room, and smelled her--it shows how highly attuned he is to her. Heightened even more after the bite in the desert. That just struck me, the immediacy of his scent of her.
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

The Mick/Beth morgue scene was one of the best from AD. Loved their interaction so much. They are indeed quite playful with each other before the awkwardness sets in :snicker:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:

Return to “Episode Discussion”