Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 5: Arrested Development

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Re: Arrested Development (Episode Five)

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

How many of us have paused and frozen that smile scene?

Show of hands

*raises both hands up*
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

*raises hand*

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Where to start....I'm with you all on the finger crawl, and the kiss in the parking lot. But most favorite of all was the happy grin he gave after the second kiss. (dsr raises hand)

What was great about this episode was the fun that Mick and Beth seemed to have, trying to learn a little bit more about each other. Sometimes it was obvious ('so how does the sex thing work?). Some of it less so (Mick wanting to go with Beth to Club Valis). The chemistry was just there.

A telling moment....during the raid at Club Valis, the stare down between Josh and Mick. No words were spoken, but each understood that a challenge was being made for Beth's affections...
Last edited by darkstarrising on Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

coco raises her hand too :yes:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I should have said, "frozen that scene multiple times"--because I know we all have. I wished they would have capitalized on the sweet look on his face for a few more seconds, you barely could catch it.
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Did no one want to discuss this scene? :snicker: How many were surprised that when he thought of loving someone completely, that he his thoughts were of Coraline? I was a little surprised. Not because I doubted that he loved her, but this was the first time 'I think' (besides the fact that he'd married her) that we were shown that he truly loved Coraline and it wasn't all just about the crazy, obsessive passion. I felt sorry for him there, thinking about how he'd loved her and how happy he was when they married. The sadness on his face for how he thought at that point that things had turned out. Plus, he looked absolutely stunning there, closing his eyes and looking all reflective. :hearts:
GuardianAngel wrote: He asks Mick if Mick has ever loved someone completely, that she was his whole world. You would do anything she asked. Anything at all. Did he ever love someone that way?

Mick is distracted, he's listening and thinking.

He imagines Coraline.

And answers 'yes' to the teen's questions.

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:slaphead:

I thought I'd commented earlier...

I loved this scene - especially after having seen The Ringer - it links so nicely with that episode. He loved her, he was consumed, he would have done anything because of that love, she still has the power to make him remember and to make him forget. There was bad, there was good, but most of all, there was love.

Red

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I just pretty much block all that out.

:giggle:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

But that's what makes Mick/Beth so much more interesting - Mick tells us here that he has experienced great, all-consuming love. Yet, when push comes to shove, he chooses Beth. Without that backdrop, Mick/Beth would just be vamp meets girl.

Red

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

redwinter101 wrote:But that's what makes Mick/Beth so much more interesting - Mick tells us here that he has experienced great, all-consuming love. Yet, when push comes to shove, he chooses Beth. Without that backdrop, Mick/Beth would just be vamp meets girl.

Red
Was kidding, hon. Every great love story needs that angle. Otherwise, it would be boring. (like most of the crap currently on television) The dynamic of Coraline adds so much to the Mick/Beth story.

Long as she stays in the past, I'm cool!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

redwinter101 wrote:But that's what makes Mick/Beth so much more interesting - Mick tells us here that he has experienced great, all-consuming love. Yet, when push comes to shove, he chooses Beth. Without that backdrop, Mick/Beth would just be vamp meets girl.

Red
ITA, Red...
Perhaps the experience of loving Coraline in that all consuming way contributes to Mick's reluctance to take a chance with Beth or with anyone else. What did both Josef and Beth say, that Mick was the one afraid of getting hurt?
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

ITA. Mick & Beth are so much more interesting because of the Coraline dynamic. Ultimately he chose Beth and that is an amazing thing as there was great, all consuming love between him & Coraline :yes:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

darkstarrising wrote:

Red
ITA, Red...
Perhaps the experience of loving Coraline in that all consuming way contributes to Mick's reluctance to take a chance with Beth or with anyone else. What did both Josef and Beth say, that Mick was the one afraid of getting hurt?
I think it's one of many things that give Mick pause. I think he sees Beth as emblematic of a form of redemption - and that's a high pedestal to put anyone on. Turning that into a real flesh and blood relationship, with all of its challenges, is frightening. I think Mick has, in some ways, been comforted by his shroud of separateness - yes, it's kept him apart from the world, from love, from contact, but it's also helped him to heal and survive the trauma of becoming a creature he inherently abhors - a vampire.

Red

nana

Post by nana »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:I am pleased to know that I am not the only one obsessed with 'stand-in" Mick in that scene. There is no quibbling that he looks gorgeous, it just looked like a picture of him, not really him. I know that he moved earlier in that scene, but it looked so strange.

And the kiss was great--especially when he leaned forward while she pulled away after the second one. He wanted more.
I wanted more!

I THINK THEY FROZE THE FRAME, AND LET IT RUN FOR A FEW SECONDS....
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

redwinter101 wrote: I think it's one of many things that give Mick pause. I think he sees Beth as emblematic of a form of redemption - and that's a high pedestal to put anyone on. Turning that into a real flesh and blood relationship, with all of its challenges, is frightening. I think Mick has, in some ways, been comforted by his shroud of separateness - yes, it's kept him apart from the world, from love, from contact, but it's also helped him to heal and survive the trauma of becoming a creature he inherently abhors - a vampire.

Red
You bring up an interesting point....if Mick has shrouded himself in this manner, he not only protects himself, but anyone else who might love him. For if he allows himself that contact, that love, in a moment of weakness, would he not expose them to the same fate he suffered? That would be too much for him to bear....
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Return to “Episode Discussion”