Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 5: Arrested Development

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Arrested Development (Episode Five)

Post by wpgrace »

darkstarrising wrote:
wpgrace wrote:
GuardianAngel wrote:I had a much simpler view on why Mick thought of Coraline. He didn't love Beth yet. Coraline was still THE love of his life. She was the one he would have done anything for. I think it's still a few more episodes before Mick falls in love with Beth. Or at least that he begins to admit it.

I agree... tho I think it is the kiss, at the end of this one, that proves a bit of a revelation to him... think of that smile...
and every time I think of that smile, I start grinning like a fool....

Yeah... sigh... it was one hell of a smile. And they knew what they had... that's why they cut it the way they did... what is that expression, always leave them wanting more? Yeah... sigh.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

GuardianAngel wrote:I had a much simpler view on why Mick thought of Coraline. He didn't love Beth yet. Coraline was still THE love of his life. She was the one he would have done anything for. I think it's still a few more episodes before Mick falls in love with Beth. Or at least that he begins to admit it.
I agree. Mick hadn't fallen in love with Beth quite yet so it was natural to recall Coraline in that scene but there was definitely some brewing feelings there left over from Fever and the interaction throughout this episode. The kiss only made him see that more clearly :heart:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

coco wrote:
I agree. Mick hadn't fallen in love with Beth quite yet so it was natural to recall Coraline in that scene but there was definitely some brewing feelings there left over from Fever and the interaction throughout this episode. The kiss only made him see that more clearly :heart:
I agree. Mick's gotten very good at denying himself and I think he's put any romantic feelings he has for Beth pushed as deep as he can. But when she kisses him she'd admitting outright what she feels for him. She just couldn't help herself. (Bob knows any of us would not have been able to keep that kiss so brief). Once he knows that it's got to be near impossible for him to keep his own under wraps.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I had a much simpler view on why Mick thought of Coraline. He didn't love Beth yet. Coraline was still THE love of his life. She was the one he would have done anything for. I think it's still a few more episodes before Mick falls in love with Beth. Or at least that he begins to admit it.
I agree. He is fascinated by Beth, he is very invested in her, and of course he's been stalking her all her life. ;) But he's not truly in love with her yet...at least, he hasn't admitted it to himself. He's still carrying Coraline around, even though (as far as he knows) she's dead.

Mick talked at the beginning of Fever about the relationship between him and Beth being impossible--but still, he picks up when she calls. Then he drank from her, and they became even more connected--but his instinct was not to get closer to her: it was to stop seeing her. He said it was to protect her, but we all know Mick is pretty good at justifying his backpedaling where Beth is concerned. ;)

As of the beginning of this episode, Mick is still running away from his feelings for Beth. Beth is the pursuer, but even she is blowing hot and cold--every time he starts to respond to her, she pulls back. It happens at the morgue when she finally gets him to admit that something happened, and she chickens out and tells him it's all about working together. It happens again at his loft, when she has him on the verge of kissing her, but pulls away and goes upstairs. Yeah, she's seductive--but she's seductively unattainable. She knows she's utterly safe from him. Even drugged out on B.C., she knows he won't turn her. She's playing him, because she can't make up her mind. And he lets her, because he can't make up his mind, either.

I agree with grace that the kiss at the end of the episode is the first time Mick allows himself to admit to himself that he's falling in love with Beth. There's such a lightness, a feeling of joy in his face. He's submitted to the will of fate. He's opening himself to love.

And then comes The Ringer. Poor guy--fate is just jerking him around.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Da*n alle--you are so smart.

Nodding my head furiously with every statement you made. Beth--who should be afraid of Mick, tempts and taunts him like crazy in BC--and yet he still doesn't cave. Beth--who's blood she willingly gives to him in Fever, when the almost feral vamp could have killed her and didn't--and he still stops himself. For all of his fear of hurting her, he needs to open his eyes to those previous circumstances.

He had every reason to go vamp ballistic on her, and was able to rein it in.
Men, so clueless whether vamp or not.
nana

Post by nana »

darkstarrising wrote:
wpgrace wrote:

I agree... tho I think it is the kiss, at the end of this one, that proves a bit of a revelation to him... think of that smile...
and every time I think of that smile, I start grinning like a fool....

I AGREE...THROUGH THIS WHOLE EPSY HE IS TALKING ABOUT WHAT
"FATE" WANTS....HE IS THINKING CORALINE, FATE IS THINKING BETH....
MSJ_sunglasses
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MSJ_sunglasses »

I didn't really see the 'cardboard cut-out Mick' a lot of you mention although umpteen playbacks later, maybe it's there, but he had a good reason to look like that. He had just nearly lost his head and with it the 'un' of dead, so maybe he was in a state of vampire shock :puke: and still trying to keep his distance from Beth at the same time :gasp:
nana

Post by nana »

WELL HE SOULD HAVE BEEN FEELING QUITE SATISFIED THAT HE KEPT HIS PROMISE

TO THE PARENTS...GOT RID OF A BAD VAMP, AND SAVED THE HOOKERS LIFE...DON'T

THINK AT THAT MOMENT HE WAS REALLY THINKING ABOUT BETH...JUST A JOB FINISHED,

AND ONE CHILD WOULD BE RETURNING HOME.....
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

allegrita wrote:And then comes The Ringer. Poor guy--fate is just jerking him around.
Well, how appropriate that's the name of the episode then, eh? ;)
*Christy*

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

MSJ_sunglasses wrote:I didn't really see the 'cardboard cut-out Mick' a lot of you mention although umpteen playbacks later, maybe it's there, but he had a good reason to look like that. He had just nearly lost his head and with it the 'un' of dead, so maybe he was in a state of vampire shock :puke: and still trying to keep his distance from Beth at the same time :gasp:

I'm kinda with you MSJ... I see why so many think he look stiff, but he also looks fantastic, so I dont' care that he does. And yeah, I think he's a bit surprised he almost lost his own head... that teen vamp was a harder kill than he realized...

Plus he looks so good in that henley... and he was at a news office. Maybe he was standing still so the papparizzi could get a good shot... cause anybody looking that good oughta make the news... :devil:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Jade
Fledgling

Post by Jade »

this one was so-so for me like the first 2 i don't like some of the dialogues it seem forced at times, and i though Jason had a bigger roles than that , i really like the few minutes they show of his character.
nana

Post by nana »

I THINK HE LOOKS VERY TIRED AND VERY SAD, IN THESE SNAPS.....
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

Fleur de Lisa wrote: He just wanted to date, hang-out, more than have sex. Unfortunately, due to the way he looked, the only way he could 'date' would be to actually purchase it! And there lies the conundrum. The hookers aren't interested in dating, the teen vamp is, and then, he gets pissed,...
I've always vaguely wondered
- why the teen vamp didn't dress a bit more grown-up (and maybe use a bit of makeup) to appear at least 21 (IS there a minimum age for hiring a hooker?)
- whether he killed all the prostitutes he met with, or just the ones that refused/made fun of him like Jazzmyn
- why Cherish refused the roller coaster ride. After all, she got paid for her TIME...
But I can live without the answers...

I agree with you all about the guest stars in the episode (I'd like to add the guy at the morgue to the list of people to be kicked out of the TV) - but has anybody else noticed the barkeeper's "Yeah, I see why you need it" look when Cherish orders her double drink? That's one of my favorite moments in the episode. Apart from Mick and Beth in the car (pity they cut to teen vamp in the middle of the scene), and the final grin (wish they'd left it for a bit longer). I also very much liked that apparantly there's no longer any question of Beth waiting in the car - even though they are hunting a very dangerous (are there any others?) vampire. And they do make a good team - swiping the organizer was another highlight of the episode for me (I worry less about doing it under Carl's nose - he's nicely distracted - but what are the other two agents doing?)

I've got a different take on the discussion in the morgue hallway: I see Mick thinking "F..., I knew I should have risked waiting for the other guy" when Beth goes on about saving his life - with her blood. Seems bad form to me...

But what really struck me is how badly Mick is doing in the fight against the teen vamp - fate must be on his side, otherwise he'd be dead. Actually, I think Mick is doing very badly against all the vamps he fights (remember Motolla?), especially at the beginning of the fight. It's only when Mick has nearly lost the fight that something snaps and he gets serious about winning. Makes me wonder whether he does have a death wish somewhere - and then, when his wish is nearly granted, survival instinct kicks in.

Or the writers/directors though the fights would be more interesting this way...

Bye, Kade
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Are we ready to watch?
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

I JUST walked in the door...maybe we could wait a couple of minutes?

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram

Return to “Episode Discussion”