Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 4: Fever

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Fever (Episode Four)

Post by redwinter101 »

They could have given him a sidekick (which would have been far more credible) - the heli was annoyingly unconvincing. However I *did* like the hitman. He was unusually weaselish - nothing superhero/invincible about him. Just a regular guy, making his way, killing people for money.....

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

GuardianAngel wrote:I know. This is where suspended belief comes in. An arms dealer that just happens to have missile bearing heli's sitting around, ready to go after a witness.
I will say, I'm willing to suspend disbelief pretty far *coughvampirescough*, but there are points when it's not just suspended, it's hung from the nearest tree...

And admittedly, this is not the kind of thing that sticks out on first viewing.

I have, incidentally, asked my husband the WWII history junkie, if the statements about the Battle of the Bulge make sense, historically speaking. He says, yes.

One other thing about that missile strike...I'm no science person, but it seems like even with a rocket strike, the exploding police cruiser would have continued forward from momentum alone, rather than gone up in one relatively neat little pile like that. (Again, consulted husband who has studied physics, and he agrees with me...)

Lucky
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

I guess if vampires can live among us, an arms dealer can have a helicopter sitting on a pad somewhere outside BFE, CA just waiting to be called into action to blow up a witness. ;-)

I always thought the desert scene was so cool - seeing how even the top of the food chain has weaknesses and can be felled. Although, I always have to wonder if Leni thought "Man, this guy is a WUSS in the sun!"

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

LOL. I guess if Mick were human his reaction would be a bit on the dramatic side.

As far as the top of the food chain being so easily felled, I don't think most vampires would find themselves in that situation. It's Mick who puts himself out there and endangers himself for others. But he wouldn't be our Mick if he didn't.

I like the desert scene too, because, as Red pointed out, it sets up the bathroom scene so well. Mick doesn't want to have to drink Leni's (and then Beth's) blood but as his need increases his willpower decreases. It's a no brainer.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

*nodding*

As well as giving us some Mick backstory. The tone of voice as he describes his wartime experiences - oh, it's just wonderful. You can hear the ache.

Red

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

And...I'm all about the Mick backstory. I LOVE anything that gives us a glimpse into the man that was Mick.

But he wouldn't be our Mick if he didn't.
Tis true. Other vampires would have dug a hole and had Leni for lunch. Our Mick heads out into the desert in the blazing sun.

Hero or death wish?

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

PNWgal wrote:Hero or death wish?
Good question. I think he values life, especially human life, above all else and will do whatever is necessary to preserve and protect. Add an unborn child into the mix and he was never going to do anything but try to save Leni. I just love that he knows, and admits, that if it comes to it, his nature will be stronger than his will. For someone who is so much about control, that's a huge thing - a real insight into the strength of his survival instinct.

Red

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Exactly, Red. And it's not a human's survival instinct. It's a vampire's survival instinct. He admits he won't be able to stop himself. And then he won't be able to live with himself. Horrible situation for him.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

redwinter101 wrote:
PNWgal wrote:Hero or death wish?
Good question. I think he values life, especially human life, above all else and will do whatever is necessary to preserve and protect. Add an unborn child into the mix and he was never going to do anything but try to save Leni. I just love that he knows, and admits, that if it comes to it, his nature will be stronger than his will. For someone who is so much about control, that's a huge thing - a real insight into the strength of his survival instinct.

Red
GuardianAngel wrote:Exactly, Red. And it's not a human's survival instinct. It's a vampire's survival instinct. He admits he won't be able to stop himself. And then he won't be able to live with himself. Horrible situation for him.

Which further proves to me that Mick is a divided soul - the nature of a vampire and the will of a man. When it comes to survival, the vampire will win, but it will be a hard struggle before the man gives up.

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

PNWgal wrote:Which further proves to me that Mick is a divided soul - the nature of a vampire and the will of a man. When it comes to survival, the vampire will win, but it will be a hard struggle before the man gives up.
That's it in a nutshell, PNW. The essence of Mick - and the reason for my fascination with him and this show.

Red

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

redwinter101 wrote:
PNWgal wrote:Which further proves to me that Mick is a divided soul - the nature of a vampire and the will of a man. When it comes to survival, the vampire will win, but it will be a hard struggle before the man gives up.
That's it in a nutshell, PNW. The essence of Mick - and the reason for my fascination with him and this show.

Red
Yes, exactly. It's why he's so complicated. Not only is the struggle the struggle of the man but his guilt and self-loathing afterward is that of a man as well. I don't think Josef would be nearly so heartsick over anything he had to do to survive.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I was just thinking...much as I love Josef, if he were in a similar situation (oh, dear, I smell a fic...) I think he would have been far more practical about the whole thing.

"Leni, doll, I've got a little problem, but you can help. Give me your wrist, sweetheart...it won't hurt much."

Lucky
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

LOL. Yes, I can see Josef doing that. I'm not saying he would do it gladly, especially if it posed a threat to her baby. But he would do it and be practical about it. And then he'd probably have to kill her to protect the secret.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

*totally entranced by this conversation*

Oh, excuse me, do go on, ladies... and if any fics DO happen to come out of this... all the better....
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

wpgrace wrote:*totally entranced by this conversation*

Oh, excuse me, do go on, ladies... and if any fics DO happen to come out of this... all the better....
(Lucky's JosefMuse: So, Lucky, did I ever tell you about the time....

Lucky: Josef, really, I'm at work right now. Can we get back to this later? Please?)

Lucky

Return to “Episode Discussion”