Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 4: Fever

bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Re: Fever (Episode Four)

Post by bluedahlia3 »

He doesn't know that stakes in the heart, blood, fangs and other things that go bump in the night make him more attractive. Well...at least to me. :bat: This scene in his apartment is one of the best I think. I like the tension, the coffee, the word play between Josh and Mick. He standing in his kitchen, in the henley, arms held wide. :yahoo:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Agree with the 'disconnect' issue you brought up, lucky. Another thing the writers probably overlooked.

I adored those scenes in his kitchen, the looks that went on between Mick and Beth, Josh would have to be blind not to notice that. Also, the way they lit Sophia in that scene--stunning.

One of my favorite parts of this episode, is when Mick is surveying the crime scene with Josh. The looks that Mick gives him and the way he talks to him--just cracks me up. It's almost a bit of one upping Josh. A little bit of cockiness.

I like that.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Speaking of lighting, has anyone noticed that the entire ep is done with very warm tones...and yellow/brown color saturation that really hide the beautiful blue eyes of both Sophia and Jordan?

I wonder if it was done to give the entire ep a feel of heat.

Lucky
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

librarian_7 wrote:Speaking of lighting, has anyone noticed that the entire ep is done with very warm tones...and yellow/brown color saturation that really hide the beautiful blue eyes of both Sophia and Jordan?

I wonder if it was done to give the entire ep a feel of heat.

Lucky
It's official. You are too intelligent to be conversing with me.
I love how you notice the smallest details, and yes, you are correct. Lots of sunlight and warm tones in this ep. Maybe the producers were smarter than I gave them credit for!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

That's very flattering, Lisa...but at this point, having taken part in a number of episode discussions here and there, it's hard for me to recall what I first noticed myself, and what has been pointed out by others.

Altho with the colors, I started by lamenting that Jordan's beautiful blue eyes weren't showing up well...

Lucky
lunalux
Fledgling

Post by lunalux »

I thought the more interesting line in the shower room scene was "Some couples are not meant to be together. Take me and Beth. she has a very real boyfriend and well after Coraline I have understandable trust issues..." It intrigued me when I watched this the first time that he in his mind saw himself and Beth as a couple as early as this episode(although not able to be together).
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I did notice that, lunalux. Mick was already thinking that he would like to be a couple with Beth. I wonder if he would have made a move on Beth if Josh were not around. As for his trust issues, didn't he already tell Beth he trusted her? And I think Mick trusted her even more than he was aware.

Lucky, yes, I think most of the episode is shot through a warm toned filter. Except for those shots where Beth is luminescent. In those shots her eyes are very blue.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I wonder if he would have made a move on Beth if Josh were not around.
We could dissect that statement forever. I have gone round and round with that idea many times. I think that he still would have held back. I wonder if Josh was just an excuse for him not to get too involved with her. If it hadn't
been Josh, Mick probably would have had other reasons to keep his distance.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:
I wonder if he would have made a move on Beth if Josh were not around.
We could dissect that statement forever. I have gone round and round with that idea many times. I think that he still would have held back. I wonder if Josh was just an excuse for him not to get too involved with her. If it hadn't
been Josh, Mick probably would have had other reasons to keep his distance.
Like..."Because I'm a vampire." He has a tendency to let that define him, as Beth eventually points out. It's a great excuse to be all angsty. Reminds me of a boyfriend I had in college...no, he wasn't a vamp (pity, that...) but the same kind of thinking.

Lucky
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

lucky~~you had me primed for the "but I was drunk" when you mentioned the bf in college!

Yeah, the vamp thing defines Mick and holds him back, that goes without saying, Josh was just another convenient excuse.
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

It does look as if they were having fun playing with the lighting, perhaps trying to get just the right look...fitting the mood. Thank goodness I can go back and replay the episodes as we are discussing them. It adds to the enjoyment. :bat:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

I was wondering about the lighting when Mick is in his bathroom, taking off his shirt....I know that Alex had to endure layers of body make-up to cover the tats...maybe the lighting helped as well. Notice that when he's at the motel, he rips his shirt, but keeps it on....possibly because the body make-up would wash off in the water?
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

darkstarrising wrote:I was wondering about the lighting when Mick is in his bathroom, taking off his shirt....I know that Alex had to endure layers of body make-up to cover the tats...maybe the lighting helped as well. Notice that when he's at the motel, he rips his shirt, but keeps it on....possibly because the body make-up would wash off in the water?
In an interview with one of the writer's on ML, supposedly one of the reasons that Mick's shirt remained on, is that the tat covering process is very intensive and time consuming. It would have taken hours to cover them up, so, she asked Alex if he could play Mick "exhausted"--so tired that he didn't have the strength to completely take off his shirt.

Hence, the ripped shirt.

And I bet you that is why they had his freezer room lit in blue--to help mute the tats.
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Although I would have loved to see the shirt completely removed, I actually think it played to the scene better the way they did it.

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:
darkstarrising wrote:I was wondering about the lighting when Mick is in his bathroom, taking off his shirt....I know that Alex had to endure layers of body make-up to cover the tats...maybe the lighting helped as well. Notice that when he's at the motel, he rips his shirt, but keeps it on....possibly because the body make-up would wash off in the water?
In an interview with one of the writer's on ML, supposedly one of the reasons that Mick's shirt remained on, is that the tat covering process is very intensive and time consuming. It would have taken hours to cover them up, so, she asked Alex if he could play Mick "exhausted"--so tired that he didn't have the strength to completely take off his shirt.

Hence, the ripped shirt.

And I bet you that is why they had his freezer room lit in blue--to help mute the tats.
Makes sense. Wonder what they'll do in CM.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!

Return to “Episode Discussion”