Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 3: Dr. Feelgood

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: Dr. Feelgood (Episode Three)

Post by librarian_7 »

Speaking of the vamp at the convenience store, this brings up something I've always liked about this ep.

When blood is shown from a "vamp's eye view" it's a much brighter red...which falls in with Trevor's original concept of vamps being color-blind except for red.

For example...blood on the floor, as Mick observes it:

A little later, Coraline sees Mick with blood on his mouth...

And try this on for size...in the hospital, a "human" view of Pollock, with dark blood hanging in the foreground:

Now, the perspective is turned around and we see through Pollock's eyes, the same bag of blood:

They don't hit you over the head with this, but it's there. For people like us to find and appreciate.

Lucky
(me? consistent? *cough*Kostan lover*cough*)
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

wpgrace wrote:
Fleur de Lisa wrote:That scene of Dr. Newbie in the convenience store always makes me laugh, because it reminds me of how I get during a certain time of the month! (TMI?)

No. PMS.

That would explain the three giant sugar cookies I ate for breakfast this morning. :lol:

GA, you KNEW I was going to dispute this:

"Near death"? I think Mick says one needs to "reach a point in your death".

Great observation, Lucky - I'd forgotten about that whole color-blind thing.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

OK, Lucky, I am now in awe of you... I never knew any of that... but it is soo cool.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

*coco tries again as she's sure she left a comment already*

Lucky thanks so much for pointing that out as I never knew that and would never have known to look for it :D
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Lucky--that was absolutely amazing info. I had never even considered any of that.

Probably because I have Mick on the brain.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Nice catch Lucky. That snuck by me. Interesting. Very interesting.

On the brain, Lisa? Not my first guess.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

It's PG in here GA.

They realllllly don't want anyone to encourage me!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Lucky, thank you so much for pointing out the vivid red of blood from vamps' POV. I can't decide whether it's meant to depict the way they actually see, or a subtle way to indicate that blood becomes the focus of vampires' attention whenever they encounter it. In any case, the way they played with hue and saturation was really nifty. Sadly, this was not so evident in the later episodes.

I loved the scene in the morgue, from Mick's and Guillermo's conversation to the discussion between Mick and Beth in the hallway. Yeah, he's hooked. What an expression...bemusement, AMUSEment, mild exasperation, and yearning...oh, I do love Mick's looks at Beth when she's not looking at him. His yearning is all over his face... *sigh*
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

add me to the group who didn't know about the dark vs. bright red blood & how it was used. VERY interesting!

Thanks Lucky for the info!

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I think it's very evident, that with the "mild exasperation" (wonderful way of phrasing it, BTW), there is a sense that he cannot deny her anything. Yes, he should have told her more firmly "back off, and stay out of danger"--but there's that element of indulgence toward her in his reactions. As well as, I think he's seeing it in some way as an excuse to justify spending more time around her. Because he can't convince himself that he could just ask her out on a date, or something...he has to use working on a case/story together as a reason for seeing her. After all, in OOTP, did he really NEED her to navigate? Wouldn't he have thought it would be better for her to stay safe and sound in her apartment, while the big strong vamp went out to finish up with the evil bad guy?

Lucky
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

coco wrote:*coco tries again as she's sure she left a comment already*

Lucky thanks so much for pointing that out as I never knew that and would never have known to look for it :D

I know coco!! The active posts said you did but I came into the thread and there was no coco post to be found!

I tried it 3 times and you showed up on the other page but not in the thread... and I haven't been drinking yet... you?

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

librarian_7 wrote:I think it's very evident, that with the "mild exasperation" (wonderful way of phrasing it, BTW), there is a sense that he cannot deny her anything. Yes, he should have told her more firmly "back off, and stay out of danger"--but there's that element of indulgence toward her in his reactions. As well as, I think he's seeing it in some way as an excuse to justify spending more time around her. Because he can't convince himself that he could just ask her out on a date, or something...he has to use working on a case/story together as a reason for seeing her. After all, in OOTP, did he really NEED her to navigate? Wouldn't he have thought it would be better for her to stay safe and sound in her apartment, while the big strong vamp went out to finish up with the evil bad guy?

Lucky

Maybe he thought she really WOULD stay in the car... but yeah, he needs to be near her and working on a case is his way to do that... and I think it's her way of being near him too... it seems a platonic and acceptable solution for them both. Also he knows she has a boyfriend... he talks about it enough. But he knew almost immediately, even if his stalking hadn't turned up that detail, as Josh called her during the b and e at Kelly's apartment in the first ep...

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

librarian_7 wrote:I think it's very evident, that with the "mild exasperation" (wonderful way of phrasing it, BTW), there is a sense that he cannot deny her anything. Yes, he should have told her more firmly "back off, and stay out of danger"--but there's that element of indulgence toward her in his reactions. As well as, I think he's seeing it in some way as an excuse to justify spending more time around her. Because he can't convince himself that he could just ask her out on a date, or something...he has to use working on a case/story together as a reason for seeing her. After all, in OOTP, did he really NEED her to navigate? Wouldn't he have thought it would be better for her to stay safe and sound in her apartment, while the big strong vamp went out to finish up with the evil bad guy?

Lucky

And let's not forget the Josh factor, as grace pointed out. If she's involved with his cases, it's a perfect excuse to see her AND keep an eye on her.

I crack up every time I hear "I want you off this case". He's obviously learned nothing from this woman who walked through a fountain to get to a body, went undercover as a student to a class taught by someone who could have been a serial killer and shot a guy to protect Mick.

I've always seen Beth as independent, yet impulsive....strong but vulnerable.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I have to say that I think the most beautiful shot of Beth, possibly in the whole series, is that view of her looking through the morgue doorway in this ep. She is absolutely luminous...how could he possibly turn her down, whatever she wanted?

But telling her "I want you off this case"--had he but known (and it sounds as though Josh could have enlightened him), there was no better way to engage her bulldog instincts.

Lucky
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

librarian_7 wrote:I have to say that I think the most beautiful shot of Beth, possibly in the whole series, is that view of her looking through the morgue doorway in this ep. She is absolutely luminous...how could he possibly turn her down, whatever she wanted?

But telling her "I want you off this case"--had he but known (and it sounds as though Josh could have enlightened him), there was no better way to engage her bulldog instincts.

Lucky

So it was kinda a good thing he said that... sorta like opposites day... insured she'd stick with him! ;)

I always wonder how well he really knows her... from all the prior stalking... does he know much about her at this point?

Return to “Episode Discussion”