Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 3: Dr. Feelgood

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Dr. Feelgood (Episode Three)

Post by cassysj »

Interesting his top of the food chain remark. Josef in the first episode talking about Food mouthing off to the farmer. They figure out quick that they are king of the jungle.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I just re-watched the scene with Mick walking the gurney along the hall, and Beth running up to tell him about the Cleaner taking Gerald away. He spoke so contemptuously to her then. He was still in apex predator mode in a major way. Not at all in a mood to tolerate Beth and her pushiness at the moment.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

The Buddist monk story of Josef's is one of my favorites
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

allegrita wrote:I just re-watched the scene with Mick walking the gurney along the hall, and Beth running up to tell him about the Cleaner taking Gerald away. He spoke so contemptuously to her then. He was still in apex predator mode in a major way. Not at all in a mood to tolerate Beth and her pushiness at the moment.
Wasn't it just poetic when the door slammmed leaving her on the outside looking in?
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

nutmegger911 wrote:Where's Mattola? Was he one of the enforcers?
Here's a cap...

Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

cassysj wrote:The Buddist monk story of Josef's is one of my favorites
Oh, yeah... that whole scene is just gorgeous. The fire, Josef dropping blood in the drinks, Mick on the couch, Josef's body language when he told the story... sigh. It's perfect.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

We're gonna have to start calling you "mad skills Lil"
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

I've watched Dr. Feelgood a few times before, but there were things I saw this time through that just jumped out at me this time.

Mick is really very open (well, he seems open compared to Josef 'Mr. Paranoia' Kostan) for a vampire who knows the rules, knows what they are risking by talking to humans and yet he chooses to tell Beth. Of course, this is kind of an afterthought after she found out what Mick was at the end of OOTP. Besides, he has known Beth for 22 years at this point.

So, in for a penny in for a pound. He tells her that people had been hunting them for thousands of years [sounds like there is a sense of history there] and stresses the importance of keeping the secret.

Beth was really amazing. She remained focused on what she had seen and asked questions. Through it all, she seemed to keep firmly in mind that this man had saved her life a short time before.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

nutmegger911 wrote:We're gonna have to start calling you "mad skills Lil"
Honestly, this wasn't my discovery. Someone noticed it long ago. I thought everyone knew or I wouldn't have shouted it so randomly. :blushing:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This episode just had a lot of victims.

First, Gerald Stofsky is the victim of a hit and run driver.

Next, Dr. Pollock is the victim of Gerald Stofsky, who really is not in control of his actions. I don't believe that he set out to kill Dr. Pollock, he just needed blood and then the good doctor was right there.

Then, there are Dr. Pollock's victims--the convenience store clerk, the he approached saying that he was a Dr that he immediately proceeded to drain and then his wife.

Dr. Pollock was quite intelligent to reason it out through the firestorm of the bloodlust and heightened senses. Mick and Guillermo spoke briefly about what it was like when they were first turned.

Sadly, we see Dr. Pollock lose all trace of the person he was as he becomes an inhuman monster. This was a responsible physician, the kind of man who would stop to render aide at an accident scene.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This episode gave us so much information that was foundational for the series. It really undergirded a lot that came after.

I'm sure that this has occurred to other folks before, but doesn't it seem like the process of staking a vampire has two different parts? It's like the stake goes in and that does the initial paralysis, then there is a second step, twisting the stake or driving it deeper than produces a more intense result. Like when Gerald Stofsky stakes Mick, then digs it in a little deeper and Mick reacts to the second staking, differently.

Also, it seems like there are degrees of paralysis depending on how old the vampire is. Dr. Pollock was frozen in midexpression. Mick was still able to whisper to Beth, 'take it out!' and Coraline after Mick staked her to save baby Beth, was able to get up and look out of the window at them before falling back into the flames.

May all be my imagination, but I thought these were interesting.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

jen wrote:This episode gave us so much information that was foundational for the series. It really undergirded a lot that came after.

I'm sure that this has occurred to other folks before, but doesn't it seem like the process of staking a vampire has two different parts? It's like the stake goes in and that does the initial paralysis, then there is a second step, twisting the stake or driving it deeper than produces a more intense result. Like when Gerald Stofsky stakes Mick, then digs it in a little deeper and Mick reacts to the second staking, differently.

Also, it seems like there are degrees of paralysis depending on how old the vampire is. Dr. Pollock was frozen in midexpression. Mick was still able to whisper to Beth, 'take it out!' and Coraline after Mick staked her to save baby Beth, was able to get up and look out of the window at them before falling back into the flames.

May all be my imagination, but I thought these were interesting.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
But notice....his lips don't really move....he only has the strength to push out the words....

============

BIG question, after all these years:
If strength comes with age..........why was the vampire Dr able to fight Mick for so long???? Shouldn't Mick put the vampire slap down on him quicker?

OR was it because he went feral at his turn???
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

I always thought it was because he was a feral new turn. :chin:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

MoonMarg wrote:I always thought it was because he was a feral new turn. :chin:

:twothumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

And I always wondered why Josef was moving and gasping when he was staked in SB, whereas Mick was totally paralyzed. Hmm... going along with the "twisting the stake in deeper" idea, maybe Josef's stake wasn't in deep enough because it was a human who staked him. The other examples we saw were all vampire staking other vampires, so they would have the strength to get it in pretty far the first time.

:chin:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.

Return to “Episode Discussion”