Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 3: Dr. Feelgood

eris
Sire

Re: Dr. Feelgood (Episode Three)

Post by eris »

I would guess they put him in the less fitted ones to give the illusion of being bulked up. AO'L is pretty slim - you don't notice it so much next to Sophia, but next to JD, it's kind of obvious. I'd also guess that's why they put JD in the streamlined suits; it made him look smaller.
Last edited by eris on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Hmm, it's funny, but I always thought he looked bulkier in the more fitted ones, clung to his muscles more.

He is very narrow shouldered though, especially next to Josef.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Hmm, it's funny, but I always thought he looked bulkier in the more fitted ones, clung to his muscles more.

He is very narrow shouldered though, especially next to Josef.

I thought he looked slim in the fitted ones... but that leather jacket he sometimes wore made him look bulkier to me... but in a good way, always in a good way...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

I didn't feel well when I watched the ep last Friday, so I didn't enjoy it 100%, but there are some good scenes, like the talk in the car and the ending trust talk. Sigh....I love to see him walk down that hallway. Also, good GRAVY, did he look amazing when he was trying to talk to the rogue vampire or WHAT? The eyelashes of wonder in that scene are phenomenal. Shallow? Party for, well....everyone here. :lol:

I'm sorry you have been sick, GA. I hope you are tons better now. :)
*Christy*

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

wondergirl9847 wrote:I didn't feel well when I watched the ep last Friday, so I didn't enjoy it 100%, but there are some good scenes, like the talk in the car and the ending trust talk. Sigh....I love to see him walk down that hallway. Also, good GRAVY, did he look amazing when he was trying to talk to the rogue vampire or WHAT? The eyelashes of wonder in that scene are phenomenal. Shallow? Party for, well....everyone here. :lol:

I'm sorry you have been sick, GA. I hope you are tons better now. :)

Hmmm... I wonder if you and GA have managed to catch the same germ... and I'm sorry you have both been ill, WG...

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Mine was allergies. Not as horrible as the flu, but still miserable. Thank goodness for Benadryl. 8-)
*Christy*

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

wondergirl9847 wrote:Mine was allergies. Not as horrible as the flu, but still miserable. Thank goodness for Benadryl. 8-)

Whatever works, sweetie!

Glad you're better!

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

eris wrote:I think Moonlight is something of a patchwork quilt. There are definitely weak episodes, but those inevitably have the pieces integral to the story (almost like the writers wrote the good/important parts and used the rest of the epi as filler). The important stuff in this one is the Cora connection.

I think the accidental turning was handled TERRIBLY. If it was as easy to turn someone as this epi suggests, any vamp who had a physical relationship with a human who got rough or bit back would have been churning out fledglings all over the place. It should have taken more than that tiny bit of blood. (unless they had establish vampirism as a virus... which they never got around to)

Interesting things this epi suggests/establishes are that:

1 - Mick HAD to have stayed with Coraline in the beginning because not staying with his sire would have meant he'd have gone feral.

2 - Vamps have rules for their society.

3 - the Cleaner is awesome... and scary

4 - Mick is willing to act like a "real" vampire if the need arises and he respects the laws of vampire society.

Ahem. Allow me to try to get back on topic and agree with Eris' post. 8-)

I swear...sometimes it's like herding cats with you gals - one Henley mention and you all go off center. :lol:

I especially liked the inference that vampires have a) a society outside of human constraints and b) they have rules. I loved the concept of the Cleaner - that vampires police their own and don't run around willy-nilly killing people.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Gotta do one of my famous "micro-expression" analyses.

Mick states again to Beth that he is indeed a vampire. His expression is non-commital, but I think meant to be non-threatening, as well.

Beth starts to say something disbelieving...

And Mick briefly looks away.

It seems obvious from this that he is expecting disbelief at best, rejection and repulsion at worst.

However...Beth neither refuses to believe, nor does she turn away from him, but deflects her own question into.."Are you the only one?"

So, perhaps not so insensitive as all that.

Lucky
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

PNWgal wrote:
eris wrote:I think Moonlight is something of a patchwork quilt. There are definitely weak episodes, but those inevitably have the pieces integral to the story (almost like the writers wrote the good/important parts and used the rest of the epi as filler). The important stuff in this one is the Cora connection.

I think the accidental turning was handled TERRIBLY. If it was as easy to turn someone as this epi suggests, any vamp who had a physical relationship with a human who got rough or bit back would have been churning out fledglings all over the place. It should have taken more than that tiny bit of blood. (unless they had establish vampirism as a virus... which they never got around to)

Interesting things this epi suggests/establishes are that:

1 - Mick HAD to have stayed with Coraline in the beginning because not staying with his sire would have meant he'd have gone feral.

2 - Vamps have rules for their society.

3 - the Cleaner is awesome... and scary

4 - Mick is willing to act like a "real" vampire if the need arises and he respects the laws of vampire society.

Ahem. Allow me to try to get back on topic and agree with Eris' post. 8-)

I swear...sometimes it's like herding cats with you gals - one Henley mention and you all go off center. :lol:

I especially liked the inference that vampires have a) a society outside of human constraints and b) they have rules. I loved the concept of the Cleaner - that vampires police their own and don't run around willy-nilly killing people.
I agree about the rules, P... tho I will say, it is also interesting that the convo between Mick and the Cleaner made clear that there is inherently no moral judgement for "rule breaking" that results even in death... unless the secrecy of the Tribe is threatened. We all make mistakes, she said, or something like that. So the occassional "offing" of your midnight snack costs dollars, but earns no judgement. Putting the Tribe at risk of discovery seems to be the only unforgivable crime...

A question... in that convo, he looks at her and there is a pause in their conversation and she smiles slightly and says "ye'es." What is she saying yes to? (Probably a dumb question, but I have no pride...)

And finally, yes, we ARE like herding cats... and if you don't enjoy the henley conversation, we COULD talk about the Cleaner's sartorial style...

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

librarian_7 wrote:Gotta do one of my famous "micro-expression" analyses.

It seems obvious from this that he is expecting disbelief at best, rejection and repulsion at worst.

However...Beth neither refuses to believe, nor does she turn away from him, but deflects her own question into.."Are you the only one?"

So, perhaps not so insensitive as all that.

Lucky

I love your micro analyses, Lucky... and I love this one... and I think early Beth was like a balm to his soul, and always surprising him with her acceptance... and often fanatical curiosity.

One gets the sense that he is exerting massive emotional self-control in this whole scene... which begins to fall apart a moment or two later, when she asks about how he became a vamp...

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

While he was answering Beth's questions, he was definitely surveying her mood. What I really liked, was when he stood up, in the midst of all of this heavy talk--I wondered, would she cringe, back away from fear? Nope, she still sat on the couch, awaiting his next explanation.

I think that it would have been perfectly understandable if she had shied away a bit in that scene, but she held her ground.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:While he was answering Beth's questions, he was definitely surveying her mood. What I really liked, was when he stood up, in the midst of all of this heavy talk--I wondered, would she cringe, back away from fear? Nope, she still sat on the couch, awaiting his next explanation.

I think that it would have been perfectly understandable if she had shied away a bit in that scene, but she held her ground.

I thought she DID shrink back, ever so little, but then seemed to make the conscious decision to "woman up" and sit back up straight and fearlessly... and when she DID shrink ever so slightly, he stopped moving forward and grabbed hold of the chair, in between them...

Right after which she became the aggressor again and asked about his turning...

Not that I have parsed that scene or anything...

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

*believes micro-analysis is a good thing*

I remember watching the scene where Beth goes to Mick's the first time it aired and cringing when Beth kept pressing the point about wanting to know how Mick was turned. It was obviously painful, traumatic even, and that was so clear from his reactions, but still she pressed the point. It's interesting to get the perspective that perhaps Mick was relived that she was so curious as it meant she wasn't revolted.

And we wouldn't have had the closing scene without her early demands for answers. But I'm jumping ahead....

BTW, gorgeous caps, Lucky :)

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

One thing that has always struck me, too, about that early scene, is that--think about it--Beth has all the common "horror movie" perceptions of vampires...she just recently saw the girl in the fountain, drained of blood, with "bite marks" in her neck. And yet, she is fearless enough, or trusting enough of Mick's good intentions, to walk up to his door and knock, with only a little hesitation.

I really like that he waits for her to knock. He could have opened the door while she was still standing there, indecisive, and probably scared the crap out of her. But he waited for it to be her decision. If she'd decided it was too dangerous, or whatever, he probably would have let her walk away. Maybe continued to watch over her, but as before, from a distance.

Lucky

Return to “Episode Discussion”