Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 2: Out Of The Past

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Out Of The Past (Episode Two)

Post by wpgrace »

wondergirl9847 wrote:I love the camera angle when LeeJay staked Mick. The blood dripping looks cool (I'm wierd, I know. I loved the blood dripping from his chin in LLF after chomping Tejada's neck too. LOL) and I like when shows do wierd angles. Makes it more interesting to watch, like when they flipped the camera upside down when Mick walked into the morgue in the first ep.

Not weird, WG... I like jackets and henleys... you like dripping blood... all the same really... :roll:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

A couple of points about this middle section.

Man, Beth gets snippy with Mick outside the party. No, perhaps it wasn't the best time/place for her to read a file, but that tone was out of line.

Also...I've probably said this elsewhere, but I love the way Mick handles Eileen so cavalierly...I don't think a man would do that so readily now...at least I hope not. I got the impression Mick at that time was more used to dealing with women *cough*freshies*cough* who would put up with it.

Lucky
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

librarian_7 wrote:
Also...I've probably said this elsewhere, but I love the way Mick handles Eileen so cavalierly...I don't think a man would do that so readily now...at least I hope not. I got the impression Mick at that time was more used to dealing with women *cough*freshies*cough* who would put up with it.

Lucky
Even though it was only *cough* in our lifetimes *cough* the way men and women interacted was very different. Also I agree Mick's common interaction would have been with freshies who were more tolerant. That's the word I'm going with tolerant.
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

wpgrace wrote:Not weird, WG... I like jackets and henleys... you like dripping blood... all the same really... :roll:
LOL!! I love the jackets/coats and henleys too. 8-) Well, it IS a vampire show and Mick doesn't sparkle...he broods. :lol:
*Christy*

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I didn't think Mick was cavelier with Eileen. I think he took the abuse seriously. Looked like it offended him and he wanted to protect her. It affected him enough that he wanted to kill LeeJay at the end and even mucked up the prosecution because of it.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

GuardianAngel wrote:I didn't think Mick was cavelier with Eileen. I think he took the abuse seriously. Looked like it offended him and he wanted to protect her. It affected him enough that he wanted to kill LeeJay at the end and even mucked up the prosecution because of it.
Perhaps I expressed myself poorly...what I mean is the way he takes hold of her face to look at the black eye (and, uh, where's that "off the charts visual comprehension," pray tell? did he get an upgrade in the '90s sometime?). He doesn't ask to look at it, doesn't ask permission to put his hands on her--which in a professional setting, seems very, as I said, cavalier. He just grabs her face and angles it so he can see better. She should have informed him that was unacceptable. Regardless of his motives, it was odd.

Lucky
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Point taken. That is true, Lucky. It was high handed of him to just grab her face.

Back to the story.....

Mick beat up LeeJay and warned him off Eileen. Obviously, that didn't work. While at Josef's enjoying himself, Mick receives a call from Bobby.

He meets Bobby at the crime scene. Eileen is dead. It's made to look like a suicide but Mick knows better. He goes after LeeJay, looking for vengeance.

But the police show up before he could finish.

Beth does some digging on Mick's dad. Things don't mesh. She had the file Mick gave her and the name of someone who would know what's what.

So Beth goes to visit Bobby.

And finds out that the Mick St. John that worked the LeeJay case never had a son AND is still alive. What!?

Mick arrives at home and has an unwelcome visitor. LeeJay is there waiting for him.

Continuing with his diabolical plan, LeeJay makes it look like Mick shot him and calls for the police. Mick flees.

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

wondergirl9847 wrote:
wpgrace wrote:Not weird, WG... I like jackets and henleys... you like dripping blood... all the same really... :roll:
LOL!! I love the jackets/coats and henleys too. 8-) Well, it IS a vampire show and Mick doesn't sparkle...he broods. :lol:

Thank THE Lord!

Sparkly vampires... hmmpff... :roll:

Alex/Mick ONLY sparkles when he skates in Fleur and my ice-skating crime-fighter pilot currently under consideration by CBS... and that's just due to the sparkly henleys... 8-)

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

librarian_7 wrote:
GuardianAngel wrote:I didn't think Mick was cavelier with Eileen. I think he took the abuse seriously. Looked like it offended him and he wanted to protect her. It affected him enough that he wanted to kill LeeJay at the end and even mucked up the prosecution because of it.
Perhaps I expressed myself poorly...what I mean is the way he takes hold of her face to look at the black eye (and, uh, where's that "off the charts visual comprehension," pray tell? did he get an upgrade in the '90s sometime?). He doesn't ask to look at it, doesn't ask permission to put his hands on her--which in a professional setting, seems very, as I said, cavalier. He just grabs her face and angles it so he can see better. She should have informed him that was unacceptable. Regardless of his motives, it was odd.

Lucky

Lucky, they didn't have sexual harassment lawsuits yet... notice he's not so touchy-feely by the time he meets Beth, or meets Beth again, whatever... perhaps having had to pay out in claims one time too many?

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

And once again, we see that the vaunted "security" on Mick's place could be compromised by an industrious Girl Scout with a bobby pin.

Lucky
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

wpgrace wrote:
librarian_7 wrote:

Lucky

Lucky, they didn't have sexual harassment lawsuits yet... notice he's not so touchy-feely by the time he meets Beth, or meets Beth again, whatever... perhaps having had to pay out in claims one time too many?
Actually, sexual harassment lawsuits got started in the '70's...in the US, at least. It did take awhile for it to sink in, however, that it wasn't a joke.

Lucky
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

librarian_7 wrote:

Lucky

She was an abuse victim and Mick shouldn't have put his hands on her like he did, but I think he was offended by what happened to her. After all, he did go after Lee Jay for it.

And...RED ROOM...gawd. What I wouldn't have given to see more of arrogant Mick (so I just had to make it up for myself ;-) ) I just LOVE seeing him indulge in being vampire, even though he was young and stupid.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

PNWgal wrote:
librarian_7 wrote:

Lucky

She was an abuse victim and Mick shouldn't have put his hands on her like he did, but I think he was offended by what happened to her. After all, he did go after Lee Jay for it.
LOL!! Poor Mick getting all caught up in women's issues? In the era when he dined liberally off freshies?

But nobody thought like that in the early 80's... particularly not a man who was, looks aside, already in his 60's... and who is, we know from the show, paternalistic and protective by nature...

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Honestly, I saw that scene as more tender than anything. He saw the bruise, went closer to take a look at it, and gently touched her face and promised to help her. Of course he has vamp vision, but he isn't going to "out" himself with it, either. Perhaps that is what the intent was, or just another mis-step on the part of the writers.

And the redroom--every time I see those pix, I want the Duran Duran soundtrack playing along with it!!
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Mick flees from his apartment. Must have called Josef because he meets him on a roof. Josef quips "you've made the news." He's obviously NOT a happy camper.

Josef can't understand why Mick did not kill LeeJay - says that Mick is off his game (which leads me to believe that at some point Mick would have done just that). Mick says it's an opportunity to erase a regret. Josef thinks it's because of Beth. Mick looks fed up but doesn't answer.

Josef says that Mick will have to leave town or he'll be going to jail. Jail is not the vampires friend. LeeJay has set Mick up and it looks like 40 yrs worth of jailtime. Uh Oh. Not good. Mick says if he leaves more people will die - he's not going anywhere. And he leaves.

Meanwhile, Beth and Josh are talking about Mick. Beth doesn't believe Mick is guilty. Josh thinks she's nuts.

And, voile! Mick shows up at the door.

At first, Josh says Beth's not there but she steps into the picture. Mick says he didn't do anything and Beth believes him. Josh is not as eager but Beth tells him to read LeeJay's file - he stages scenes. Beth offers to videotape a statement by Mick and air it on Buzzwire.

LeeJay gets out of the hospital. There are reporters outside waiting for him. Mick's interview has hit the internet.

With a couple comments of his innocence, LeeJay and Julia drive off.

A little bit later, back at Beth's, she receives a call from Julia.

LeeJay has her in a warehouse, tied up, and wants Mick to go and turn himself in or LeeJay will kill her.

Beth records the conversation. Finally, LeeJay gets on and speaks with Mick and reminds him that he knows what Mick is. Uh oh! Beth and Josh are listening. Josh doesn't seem to catch it but Beth does.

There's a pause, Mick and Beth stare at each other. LeeJay gives Mick and hour.

Return to “Episode Discussion”