Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 2: Out Of The Past

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 2: Out Of The Past

Post by GuardianAngel »

Episode Two: Out of the Past

Summary: When a convicted murderer from Mick's past is released from prison, Mick must face one of his worst fears - having the truth of his immortal identity revealed to Beth.

This second episode starts with the release of a man Mick had sent to jail 25 years ago.

Beth is interviewing a friend, Julia Stevens, who has written a book about the prisoner, LeeJay Spaulding. It's called "Wronged Man" and is instrumental in getting him released. Although Julia hardly really know this man, she has faith in his innocence and believes in him. Foolish? But can't the same be said for Beth and how she feels about Mick?
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Out Of The Past (Episode Two)

Post by redwinter101 »

This is one of my favourite episodes of the whole series. But it's late, I'm tired and I'm going to bed. Be back tomorrow though :)

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

This is the episode where I became a lifelong Alex O'Loughlin fan. He was cute and all in the first episode, but he really showed himself to be an excellent actor in this one.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

As I've said, probably all too many times...the first ep was all right, but it didn't hook me forever.

The scene at the end of ep. 2? That's when I fell right off the cliff. Among other things, I was so pleased that Beth wasn't going to be some idiotic "Lois Lane" who never figured out what Mick's deal was.

I loved the way they had her constantly stumbling over things that just didn't add up in this episode. Even without the "big reveal" at the end, she had to have known things were just not right.

And Alex's acting in that scene...the shame and fear he radiated, along with the pain...just got me.

Lucky
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Watched OOTP with my mom last Friday and I think her fave part was the scene with Mick and Bobby. I love it too. The banter and easiness they had was terrific. Adorable scene.

Can't say enough good things about that ending scene. It's ridiculously awesome. Alex. The contacts. His face. The emotions! Give him an Emmy already!
*Christy*

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

wondergirl9847 wrote:Watched OOTP with my mom last Friday and I think her fave part was the scene with Mick and Bobby. I love it too. The banter and easiness they had was terrific. Adorable scene.

Can't say enough good things about that ending scene. It's ridiculously awesome. Alex. The contacts. His face. The emotions! Give him an Emmy already!

Love those two scenes too, Christy... and also the one where he comes to her apartment... is "greeted" by Josh... and thinks in his own head about telling her... "I'm a vampire."

So before she even walks in on him at the end, he has considered, fantasized about, pondered the sensation of telling her...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Love this episode so very much :D So many things to love about it even before the big reveal at the end. Will be back later to post when work isn't distracting me so much ;)
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Besides the awesome scene at the end with Mick hurt and Beth discovering him, and the haunting music of 8mile "Forever and ever Amen" that I just can't forget, this episode had the most awesome minor characters and flashbacks into Mick's former life. There's the whole 80s party thing at Josef's, and the flashbacks to Mick's investigating Spaulding, beating him up, trying to reassure his wife Eileen, finding her dead. There is Spaulding today, a character that is so loathsome and yet so good at hiding his true monster. The actor was spectacular for such a minor role. I loved the dialogue in Mick's kitchen, the way Lee Jay set him up and waxed poetic about them both being monsters, when Mick wants nothing but to punch him and knows that he can't now. Showed who the true monster was.
I loved the Bobby character, too.
The implications of Mick living among the same people, in the same city, for at least 20 years, without being found out, made me try to connect dots, think about implications, made me write missing scenes. I never did that for another show. I never ever thought twice about how to deal with inconsistencies.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

francis wrote:Besides the awesome scene at the end with Mick hurt and Beth discovering him, and the haunting music of 8mile "Forever and ever Amen" that I just can't forget, this episode had the most awesome minor characters and flashbacks into Mick's former life. .

I agree with your whole post francis... but your point about the finale and the music is so true... I loved most of the music on the show, but this particular match up was utterly perfect for me...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

The end of this episode is what made me ML obsessed.
Haven't been the same since!
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Add me to the number of fans that got hooked by this episode. Alex really showed his talent in this one.

LeeJay is set free and Josef goes over to Mick's to soothe him with some blood and friendship. They watch Beth's interview and Josef comments that he would like to meet her. We get The Look from Mick.

I've often said Mick speaks volumes with a look or an expression. What do you read in this one? And by Josef's quip. Do you think Josef truly wants to meet her? Why? Or is he just baiting his friend? If Josef were to cross any lines with Beth what do you think Mick's reaction would be?
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

The scene I loved most in this besides the big reveal at the end is the "trust me" scene with Beth. It was still the very beginning for them but already emotions were running high. He gradually opened up to her and this is why I also loved the scene that followed between Beth & Josh when he has the inner monologue "I'm a vampire". Love it. :D
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

This is one of those epis that has a glaring plot hole as far as I'm concerned.

In the flashback of Mick biting LeeJay.... you have an angry vampire who's planning on killing this jerk. He bites him... and we know ML vamps go for the arteries. LeeJay is terrified, and Mick gets interrupted. LEEJAY WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD BEFORE THEY GOT HIM TO PRISON. Not only that, they'd have had some really odd wounds - and saliva - on his neck to try and explain.
MSJ_sunglasses
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MSJ_sunglasses »

Did anyone else notice that Sci Fi cut a couple of lines from the scene where Beth takes Mick the bottle of whisky? Also Lee Jay's speech at the book release party is a few words shorter. Were there any more cuts :?:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Ive often said Mick speaks volumes with a look or an expression. What do you read in this one?
What do I read in this one? That Mick's truly not happy with Josef's smart-ass comment. Josef knows it too, because he responds with "What? Just sayin...". I think there's also a little bit of "Ut oh" in that look too...that Josef might actually follow through.
And by Josef's quip. Do you think Josef truly wants to meet her? Why? Or is he just baiting his friend? If Josef were to cross any lines with Beth what do you think Mick's reaction would be?
At this point, all we know about Josef is that he's old and he's paranoid. I've always thought Josef was a little unhappy with the way Mick dealt with the "vampire" slayings and maybe a tad disappointed Mick didn't permanently shut the reporter up. There could be a bit of baiting, but I think Josef really would like to confirm that Beth can keep her mouth shut.

If Josef crossed the line? Mick's protected Beth for 22 years - no way he lets Josef do anything to her. No. Way.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram

Return to “Episode Discussion”