Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 2: Out Of The Past

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: Out Of The Past (Episode Two)

Post by librarian_7 »

thanks, francis...that's one of those things that, once I saw it, I couldn't ever miss seeing again. And I think it's a tribute to Alex's acting, that he can say so much with such tiny moments.

Lucky
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Great capture of that moment Lucky. Those little moments are very telling of what is going on in Mick's mind.

Okay, back to the episode....

Beth is having a nightmare.

It's of her kidnapping when she was a child.

She remembers Mick being there. Josh thinks it's because Mick saved her from the TA and her mind is trying to process it all. Beth pushes it all aside and goes off to work.

Julia meets her there and gives her a copy of her book and an invite to the release party. Beth and Steve will be covering it.

I think this was the first time I was really aware of the underlying theme of fate in the show. Mick put this guy away and has a personal vendetta against him and Beth is friends with the woman who gets him released and will be covering the whole thing. What are the chances right? What do you feel about the 'fate' aspect of the show?
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, it's a bit of an outrageous coincidence. And that's one of those things that as readers and viewers, we've come to accept. Goes along with the "willing suspension of disbelief" idea, I think. It can be pushed too far...when you start saying to yourself "Yeah, right." However, in this case, I can buy that Beth would know Julia (perhaps from college, perhaps from a previous job...) and be interested in helping her publicize her book.

I've always just been amazed that Beth recognizes Mick's picture in that book. I think if she didn't have the name as a cue, she might not. The 1950 ordinary joe Mick is light-years away from Mr. Perpetual Coolness.

Lucky
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Because I'm an incurable romantic, I love the idea of fate...so I'm willing to bend a little and totally go with the coincidence. ;-)

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Me too, Pgal.

Am totally copying you, I know. But, I am a complete romantic sap--and make no apologies for it.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Me too, Pgal.

Am totally copying you, I know. But, I am a complete romantic sap--and make no apologies for it.

Moooooooooooom!! Lisa's copying me!!!! :lol:

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

That sounds frighteningly familiar.....
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Now, girls, behave. I don't want to have to seperate you. LOL

Beth takes Julia into a room so she can ask her how it was that LeeJay was inprisoned for murder if he were innocent. Julia explains that he had some priors and was prosecuted even though evidence had been contaminated - by a P.I. She shows Beth a picture of the PI and it looks disturbingly like Mick.

Beth shows up at Mick's bearing a gift to say 'thank you' for saving her from a psycho serial killer.

And, of course, she brings along the book so she can question Mick about the picture.

Mick says the P.I. on that case was his Dad. Ooo. Naughty, lying Mick.

Meanwhile, LeeJay is preparing to go after Mick.

Maybe Mick should have relocated. This is an example of why it's dangerous to stay in one place for too long.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Did anyone think it was strange, when Beth brought him the booze, that he was hanging out in his own home with a full coat on?

I know Lucky and GA and Pgal (and Lisa by carbon copy) make these cogent philosophical points about the eps... but I tend to notice Mick's clothes... and he does wear another of my favorite henleys in this ep, btw, so be prepared...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

That IS strange, isn't it grace? I guess I assumed he had either just gotten home or was on his way out. You know Beth always just walks right in not giving him a choice.

Believe me, I notice the clothes. I notice every minute detail about Mick.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Oh, I notice it all. Believe me. And what is so cool about it, is that you find new things each time you watch an episode.

GA~~tell Pgal she's on my side, touching me, make her get oooooovvver.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Oh, I notice it all. Believe me. And what is so cool about it, is that you find new things each time you watch an episode.

Shhhh, Fleur. P's a mod now. She wins by default...

Sorta like how Miley Cyrus (yeah, believe me I'm informed about this chick) has a whole wing of the family home to herself and the other Cyrus kids all share a couple bedrooms...

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:That IS strange, isn't it grace? I guess I assumed he had either just gotten home or was on his way out. You know Beth always just walks right in not giving him a choice.

Believe me, I notice the clothes. I notice every minute detail about Mick.

And you post excellent pics of him in his clothes... they are much appreciated, on this thread and others!

For what is ML without Pics of Mick?

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

wpgrace wrote:
Fleur de Lisa wrote:Oh, I notice it all. Believe me. And what is so cool about it, is that you find new things each time you watch an episode.

Sorta like how Miley Cyrus (yeah, believe me I'm informed about this chick) has a whole wing of the family home to herself and the other Cyrus kids all share a couple bedrooms...
*holds her finger a centimeter away from Lisa*

I'm not touching youuuuuuuuuuu..... :-)

Ha! The power of the mod triumphs! Thanks, Grace...but I may have to smack you with my shiny new mod stick for comparing me to Miley Cyrus..... :lol:

Believe me...I notice EVERYTHING about Mick. I always thought he wore his coat inside his own place all the time because it added to the "perpetual cool" factor.

Before I get back on topic...did anyone notice the page opposite Mick's picture? Lee Jay was a foul-mouthed SOB. ;-) And - did anyone get a glimpse of what kind of scotch Beth brought Mick?

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

PNWgal wrote:
wpgrace wrote:

*holds her finger a centimeter away from Lisa*

I'm not touching youuuuuuuuuuu..... :-)

Ha! The power of the mod triumphs! Thanks, Grace...but I may have to smack you with my shiny new mod stick for comparing me to Miley Cyrus..... :lol:

Believe me...I notice EVERYTHING about Mick. I always thought he wore his coat inside his own place all the time because it added to the "perpetual cool" factor.

Before I get back on topic...did anyone notice the page opposite Mick's picture? Lee Jay was a foul-mouthed SOB. ;-) And - did anyone get a glimpse of what kind of scotch Beth brought Mick?

Ya know, only an author would notice the damn print in the book! Touche P, touche.

You're a mod AND an author, on a fic-based site... sorta like the Best of Both Worlds... huh Miley? 8-)

And no, did not see the scotch... do YOU know what brand she brought him?

Return to “Episode Discussion”