Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 1: NSTAV

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: No Such Things As Vampires (Episode One)

Post by wpgrace »

coco wrote:
wpgrace wrote:
Fleur de Lisa wrote:This is how bad it all is in a nutshell:
When I watched that scene the other evening (you remember me mentioning that right, grace?)

I friggin' thought of you as soon as I saw him stroll across the screen wearing that jacket! Immediately I thought: there's that jacket that grace loves.

Wrong on so many levels....

Oh did you recently watch Moonlight?

And that jacket is NEVER wrong.
That happened to me too. Grace and her love of Mick's jackets has taken over us all ;)
He looked scrumpdeli-icious (GA's lovely new word) in every single one of them... but in some more than others... ;)
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

grace~~Oh, trust me, there was nothing wrong with him wearing that jacket, it was just that YOU were foremost on my mind when I saw him wearing it!

And coco~~she has infected us all.

Maybe we need an antibiotic??
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:grace~~Oh, trust me, there was nothing wrong with him wearing that jacket, it was just that YOU were foremost on my mind when I saw him wearing it!

And coco~~she has infected us all.

Maybe we need an antibiotic??

Um, do you really want to recover from MickJacket Love? I mean seriously, along with the henleys, his coats and jackets pretty much were definitive of his entire persona... or vampsona... whatever...

And what a coincidence... when you were thinking of me while watching Mick, I was thinking of me while watching Mick too... :mrgreen:

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

UGH. Have no one but myself to blame, left myself wiiiiide open for that one.

Personally, I am more fond of his long duster-coats.
Like the way they move when he walks, and the breeze catches them.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:UGH. Have no one but myself to blame, left myself wiiiiide open for that one.

Personally, I am more fond of his long duster-coats.
Like the way they move when he walks, and the breeze catches them.

Oh yeah, I love that one too... I am an equal opportunity jacket/coat fanatic... 'cept for that one jacket... definitely have the favorite...

And ya know, not every man can rock those long duster coats... just another little special feature factoid about our actor... sigh.

But those were cool because it gives some of that Victorian vamp effect but without the silly silly cape...

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Before I continue, I'll add a couple jacket shots for grace.

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Back to the show.

Chloe is locking up the diner and has a visitor. Someone wearing the mask we saw in Ellis's office kills her.

Beth goes to visit Mick to ask how he knew the blood in the vial was Ellis's and to compare notes. She gives him Chloe's name and the address of the diner so he can check her out. Beth also tells him that she got an invite to Ellis's study group. Mick isn't pleased and tells her to be careful.

Just before leaving Beth studies Mick again and repeats that he looks familiar.

She can't remember where from and leaves. Mick's VO states that the past doesn't always just catch up with you, sometime it haunts you. A flashback to when Mick saves the little girl 22 yrs ago.

And it was from his wife who was a vampire.

Beth gets wired for her meeting with Ellis and his study group.

Mick then goes to see Chloe. Finds her dead and recognizes the mask lying on the floor as the one from Ellis's office. He immediately thinks of Beth and the danger she is in.

Last edited by GuardianAngel on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

ooooooooooooh, it's getting close to my favorite line!!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:Before I continue, I'll add a couple jacket shots for grace.

*quietly* squee! thank you!

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

OK, here are a couple of things I've wondered about. Why did the Wooden TA from Australia wrap his victims so attractively in that wide pink ribbon? What was the symbolism of that? And what the heck did he do with their clothes?!

Another thing, which is a giant plot hole in my estimation (and I say this despite the fact that, as you might have guessed, I loved this ep): why would the TA leave "vampire bite" marks on the girls, or leave the mask near Chloe's body? He was trying to free the Eurotrash professor from his thralldom to the worship of his female students in order to preserve his pranic energy for his true purpose. So...uh... why did he do so many things put Professor Vamp under suspicion for the deaths?!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Never question the workings of an insane mind Alle... :lol:

Or of writers' minds under duress due to deadlines and the pressures of premiere week?

Tho all good questions and if they had just asked them of themselves after the first ep was filmed... well maybe they'd've plugged all those later plotwholes, solved the problem of Moonlight Math, maintained a showrunner past every 2 eps, and had a story plan for more than just a couple eps at a time... :roll:

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Uh...

Naaaaaah. Too much work. ;)
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

allegrita wrote:Uh...

Naaaaaah. Too much work. ;)

So they must have thought... but now they're out of work... :lol:

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Good questions Allegrita. Hmmm. Maybe he figured the finger would be pointed at Ellis but since Ellis didn't do it they could never charge him and his secret would be safe. As for the pink scarf? I've always thought that was weird.

Beth shows up for the study group. She's met by the T.A. who brings her into a basement. Yes, a basement. The time they gave her is kind of late - the group is breaking up. Ellis explains that he would like a little one on one with Beth -her being a new student and all. Anyone else hearing Mick's warning to not let Ellis get her alone?

He leads her further into the basement to a sitting area (couch and chair). Cozy. And he asks her to place her hands over his.

Okie dokie. Beth is thinking he's nutty. He has her place her hand on his heart and his on hers. He feels something. *GASP* It's the wire! He wrestles with Beth to find her recording device.

Beth kicks him and gets away. She runs outside and into the T.A. who says he has a phone in his car. When he gets Beth their his sticks her with a needle and she collapses into his arms. He puts her in the car.

The T.A. drives off with Beth. Mick arrives at the school and flies down the stairs. Yes, FLIES.

He confrons Ellis and wants to know where Beth is.

Ellis doesn't cooperate and Mick's had it. He throws the professor down and vamps out. Wait for it.....wait for it.....

"I know she was here man, I can smell her on you." Of course, Ellis is probably pissing his pants looking at a real live (unlive?) vampire. He spills. Mick goes chasing after Beth. He stops to sniff.

And sees the T.A. injecting Beth and stuffing her in the car. Mick makes chase and attacks the car, forcing it to crash.

Mick approaches the car to stop the T.A. and gets stabbed. He pulls out the instrument and utters one of MY favorite lines....

"You shouldn've done that." He throws the T.A. up against the pole and rescues Beth.

There is a flashback to the first time Mick rescued Beth as a child. He staked his wife and left her to burn as he carried out the young girl.

Beth awakens on Mick's couch. She remembers Mick being the one who rescued her as a child. Mick plays it off that she must have bumped her head. She thought she rememberd Mick being stabbed but he plays that off too. He offers to take her home and reaches his hand out for hers. There is a VO - Mick explains that he's denied himself the touch of another for 60 years because he's afraid of seeing himself as a monster in somebody else's eyes. Beth rises and hugs Mick. At first he is hesitant.

And then he gives in.

Fade
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

I have to admit - I was totally NOT sold after watching NSTAV. My man and I looked at each other and went "Huh?" LOL, he asked me if we were going to watch it again and I said I'd give it two more tries, cuz the star was cute.

But...I loved the ending. Mick's so hesitant and afraid, but Beth just moves right in and hugs him. I love the way he wraps his arms around her and finally just gives in to touchng her.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram

Return to “Episode Discussion”