A New Life is Waiting--(Pg-13) Guillermo/Mick

A place for Emma-lee's G to PG-13 stories
Emma-lee
Logan's WoW nemesis

A New Life is Waiting--(Pg-13) Guillermo/Mick

Post by Emma-lee »

My entry into the Eastcoast Moonlight con. Congratulations to the winners.
Characters: Mick, Guillermo, and Dr. Charles Drew
Beta: Jen
Disclaimer: Moonlight is not mine, and I don’t claim it is. No copyright infringement intended.

A New Life is Waiting

Guillermo was cleaning up yet another human body for identification by the next of kin, when Mick walked into the Morgue.

“Hey Guillermo.”

He nodded as Mick walked in while he finished cleaning up the body he was working on.
“Hey Mick. Give me a second to finish up here and I will get your blood.”

“No rush man. I am not in a hurry.” Mick leaned up against the morgue freezers and watched Guillermo with interest. As he watched him work, Mick contemplated asking Guillermo about his human life. Ever since Mick had found out about the cure, he had wondered about why others choose vampirism, and whether they had any regrets. Mick sighed and waited until Guillermo was finished before he ventured into what was on his mind. “Guillermo, did you choose to be turned? And do you have any regrets?”

Guillermo looked at Mick and shook his head at his friend. “Mick, not every vamp hates what they are.” He took off his gloves and leaned on the wall. “I agreed to be turned and I have no regrets. My life is way better now than it was or could ever be as a human.” Guillermo opened the blood freezer and handed Mick his bags of A-positive. “You have to stop thinking about what-ifs Mick. An eternity is too long to hold onto them, man.”

“I know- but you realize that you sound more and more like Josef every day, right?” Mick laughed, then took his bags of blood and paid Guillermo.

Guillermo chuckled at his friend. “Well, Josef is a smart vamp.”

“Please don’t tell him that- his ego is big enough already.” Mick headed out of the morgue, calling behind him. “See you later.”

Guillermo went into his office to finish the paperwork on his latest body. As he sat there, remembering Mick’s question, he thought about his turning and the events leading up to it.

January 1940-- New York City

It was cold and snowy. He was freezing, hungry, and tired. Being Hispanic was surely hindering his chance to get a decent paying job. Guillermo walked into Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital and found the office of Dr. Charles Drew. He took a deep breath and smoothed his hair and clothes, before knocking on the solid oak door.

“Come in, please.” A strong voice said from the other side of the door. Guillermo nervously opened the heavy door and stepped inside. His eyes widened at the huge office he had stepped into. This Dr. Drew was obviously a very prominent physician to have an office this big and handsome. He heard the strong voice again. “It is ok, please come over and have a seat.” Guillermo laid eyes on Dr. Drew for the first time and saw a handsome, African American man across from him, with strong features and a polished appearance. His kind eyes and gentle smile put Guillermo at ease as he sat in one of the proffered red plush chairs opposite the desk. As he sat, he noticed his dirty looking ragged clothes and was embarrassed by his attire. Surely this man would not hire someone who looked like him.

“Guillermo Gasol is it?” Guillermo just nodded. “Well, you are very prompt. I expect promptness in all my employees. I see from your application that you have never worked in the medical field before. Why do you think you could handle working here?”

Guillermo pondered the question for a moment before answering. “Well, Sir. I am a hard worker and fast learner. Blood does not bother me and I am willing to do anything you ask of me.” He lowered his eyes in embarrassment at his next statement. “I am new to the area and have no job, and no money. I will accept any paying job that is offered me, considering many employers won‘t hire me, once they hear my name.”

At that Dr. Drew stood up and offered Guillermo his hand. He stood and took it. “Congratulations Guillermo, you are hired. Come back here tomorrow at dusk and I will show you what is expected of you.” Guillermo’s face brightened as he heard he was hired.

Guillermo walked out of the hospital happy after getting the first break he has gotten since moving to New York City. He left Florida after his family was killed by stray bullets from a gang fight, mostly because there was nothing left for him there. He had imagined that he could start over again in New York, the city of opportunities. Boy, was he wrong. The prejudice here was just as bad as in Florida. He had been in New York for two weeks and could never get past giving his name at a job interview. He had started sleeping in back alleys, begging for food and money to survive. He hoped this job was the start of a new life for him. As he walked back to where he was currently sleeping, he read the job description that Dr. Drew had given him.

Morgue technician/ blood bank aide
Permanent night shift
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Preparing bodies for autopsy or burial.
Help clean and prepare blood lab equipment.
Assist the lab tech with procuring blood from donors.
Other duties as assigned.

The job sounded a little dull and kind of creepy, but it was a job. Guillermo settled into his make-shift bed and fell asleep, anxious to start his new job.

That evening at dusk, Guillermo was waiting outside Dr. Drew’s office, when he saw him approach and smile.

“Good evening Guillermo! It’s good to see you again. I trust you are ready to work?”

“Absolutely.” Guillermo stood and followed the doctor down to the basement of the hospital to the lab/morgue. Dr. Drew showed him around the morgue and the lab, telling him what his responsibilities were. It seemed pretty easy to Guillermo. At the end of the tour Dr. Drew turned to him.

“So Guillermo, do you think you can handle this job?” He nodded his head. “Good. I have some things to take care of in my office. If you need me, come up to my office.” Dr. Drew turned to walk away, but stopped and gave one last direction to Guillermo. “Oh and never, ever go into the back room. It is off limits.” Then he turned around and headed back upstairs to his office.

Now alone, Guillermo set to work doing his assigned duties. Wanting to make sure he did a good job. He never once ventured into the back room, if only because he had never been a curious person.

Present Day

Guillermo brought himself back to the present, chuckling about how naïveté he was back then. He had never heard of vampires and never suspected Dr. Charles Drew of being one, or even ventured to guess what testing took place in the back room. It makes sense, now that he thought about it. After all, Dr. Drew did discover that separating plasma from red and white blood cells would increase the shelf life for its use in patients. He was a genius and revolutionized how blood saved lives. It changed the way blood banks stored and used the blood, which in turn saved lots of soldiers’ lives in World War II. Who better to figure out how to separate the parts of blood, than a vampire. He finished his paperwork and his shift in the morgue. He crawled into his drawer in the morgue for the day and closed the door. Before he drifted off to sleep, though, he thought back to the day he was turned. He smiled as the memories came back to him.

November 1940--New York City

Guillermo was busy cleaning up the morgue at the end of a shift, when Dr. Drew came down to see him.

“Guillermo, may I have a word with you?”

Guillermo put his mop down and walked over to Dr. Drew. “Sure. Is there anything wrong?”

He smiled. “No Guillermo, just the opposite. Everything is perfect.” He put a hand on Guillermo’s shoulder and guided him toward the back room. “Remember when I interviewed you for this job and you said you would do anything that was asked of you?”

Guillermo allowed himself to be guided where the Dr. wanted to go. He swallowed hard before answering his question. “Umm Yes. I did say that.” He hoped he wasn’t going to be asked to do anything too horrible.

Dr. Drew smiled at Guillermo’s nervousness. “Don’t worry. I won’t ask you to do anything illegal.” He opened the door to the back room and Guillermo’s eyes grew large at the scene inside. There were plenty of small couches and plush chairs. Soft, dim lighting was coming from several small lights on the walls. As he scanned the room, he noticed there was nobody else there, but the room looked like it had recently been occupied. He felt Dr. Drew gently guide him into the room and then close the door behind them.

“Now Guillermo, I have come to trust you and feel you could use a change- a new life, so to speak. I want to give you this new life, if you want it.” He guided Guillermo to one of the sofas and sat down next to him. He bowed his head and then looked back up.

Guillermo saw Dr. Drew look down and then back up again. But when he looked at Dr. Drew again, he realized his face had changed. He had grown fangs, his eyes had silvered, and his skin had grown very pale, almost translucent. He gasped at the changes, but strangely enough was not afraid. He felt calm, almost peaceful. Guillermo spoke in a whisper, afraid to speak too loudly as the reality dawned on him.

“You are a vampire?” He unconsciously rubbed his own neck, while staring at Dr. Drew’s morphed face.

Dr. Drew smiled showing his fangs more prominently. “Yes, Guillermo. I am a vampire, and I want to give you the gift of immortality.”

Guillermo smiled understanding immediately what he was asking, and knowing that, for him, it would be the best thing he could do. He nodded his head to Dr. Drew. “Yes, I think I would like that.”

“I knew you would accept.” He moved closer to Guillermo, putting an arm around his back. “Now don’t be afraid. This won’t hurt much at all, and your new life is waiting.” His voice dropping to a growl before he found his mark and he struck with practiced efficiency and grace.

Guillermo felt the sting as his fangs pierced his neck, then felt a warm feeling come over him. He tasted a delicious, warm liquid in his mouth and he wanted more. So he sucked the warm liquid into his mouth as fast as he could. When the source of the liquid was pulled from his lips, he heard a voice telling him to go to sleep, it was all over.

Present Day

Guillermo woke up extremely hungry. He hasn’t done that since he was a fledgling. He crawled out of his freezer drawer and tore into one of his stashed blood bags. It helped to quench the majority of his hunger, though he would need to find one of his freshies tonight to complete the cure. As he dressed and started to leave his office, he noticed the used blood bag in the trash. The manufacture’s label was facing up and read, Drew Laboratories, INC.. He smiled as he thought about his sire and the new life he gave him, making a mental note to call him and catch up sometime. He grabbed his jacket and headed out of the office into the LA night.

Wonderful banner by Redwinter101, Avatar by Jen.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Re: A New Life is Waiting--(Pg-13) Guillermo/Mick

Post by Phoenix »

Emma-lee, I don't know how I missed this story before. :slaphead:

What a delicious peek into Guillermo's past. :teeth:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
Emma-lee
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Emma-lee »

Phoenix wrote:Emma-lee, I don't know how I missed this story before. :slaphead:

What a delicious peek into Guillermo's past. :teeth:

TYVM Phoenix. I enjoyed writing it.

MickBethKiss
Mortal

Post by MickBethKiss »

Wow! This is amazing! :clapping: A great look at Guillermo's past. He's an interesting :chin: character, it's really cool! :D
Emma-lee
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Emma-lee »

Thank you..sorry it took me so long to reply been a bit hectic here.

MickBethKiss
Mortal

Post by MickBethKiss »

Your welcome... S'okay. :ysmile:

Return to “Emma-lee's Office”