I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 3/5] PG13

NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 3/5] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Beta: Much thanks and appreciation goes to Barb, a.k.a. Bank1115.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I Know What You Are, Mick — Chapter 3

The police showed up less than a minute after Josef had left with Mick. Carl took Julia’s statement as the paramedics looked her over, then came over to Beth for her continuation of the story.

“Julia must have thought Lee Jay had shot Mick because the gun went off and he fell to the ground. But the first round must have malfunctioned or something. Mick was on the ground because he dove for cover.” Beth was surprised at how smoothly her words came out, considering her heart was pounding so hard it seemed about to explode. “I came in when he got up. Lee Jay was temporarily distracted by me, and Mick managed to get behind him before he noticed. Lee Jay tried to shoot him again, but he missed. He didn’t have any more rounds, and he and Mick fought. It was self-defence. I saw it all.”

Carl stopped writing. “And where is Mick now? He knows better than to leave a scene.” He tapped his notebook impatiently.

“I made him go home. He wanted to stay, but I could tell he really wasn’t up for giving a statement tonight. He was exhausted. He finally agreed and said to tell you he’d come by the station tomorrow.”

Carl frowned. “Fine, but he’d better show up, because if he doesn’t…”

“He will.” Beth turned. “He saved Julia’s life, you know. And a dangerous killer is off the streets.”

“Hmm.” Carl grunted as Beth walked away.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Beth knocked timidly on the door to Mick’s penthouse.

“Enter!” Josef snapped, and the door swung open in front of her.

Beth stepped slowly into the doorway.

“I’d ask if you were coming in or not, Blondie, but for the fact that you’re coming in whether you want to or not—so get in here, and shut the door behind you!”

Beth did as she was told, eyes not able to leave the scene before her. Mick was shirtless and bent over the arm of the couch while Josef knelt over him with a pair of forceps, digging around in his bloodied back. A jar of bullets was on the coffee table, and every time Josef pulled another piece of buckshot out of Mick’s back, he threw it in there. Beth was shocked at the number of bullets in there. She jumped when Josef suddenly addressed her.

“Are you alone? Were you followed here?”

“No,” Beth shook her head.

“What’d you tell the cops?” Josef scowled as he worked another piece of buckshot out of Mick’s shoulder.

“I couldn’t help what Julia told them—that Mick came in and killed the other two guys, then freed Julia and told her to run, only to be shot himself by Lee Jay. I said Julia only thought Mick got shot; the first round must have malfunctioned and Mick was only on the ground diving for cover. I left you out of it and said that I temporarily distracted Lee Jay when I came in, and Mick managed to get around him. Then Lee Jay shot at him again, but missed, and didn’t have any more rounds. So he and Mick fought and Mick killed him in self-defence by breaking his neck.”

“Good think—AHHH!” Mick roared suddenly as Josef ungracefully yanked out another piece of buckshot. “Damnit, Josef!”

Beth cringed, and said, “I said you’d go by the station tomorrow and give a statement. Otherwise they would have come here to get it.”

“Thanks, Beth,” Mick winced.

“…Are you going to be okay?” She whispered.

“He’ll be fine,” Josef said shortly, biting his lip in concentration as he pulled out one more piece of buckshot. “That was the last one. Now,” he grabbed a bag of red liquid that had been sitting on the counter and dangled it in front of Mick, “all he needs is this.”

Mick eyes glowed white as they rested on the bag, but all of a sudden looked away from it and shook his head. “No. I can’t. Not in front of her.”

Josef rolled his eyes. “Mick, you have got to be the worst vampire in the history of vampkind.”

Beth sucked in her breath.

Josef glanced quickly at her, then threw up his hands. “Fine. Whatever. Blondie and I will start having our little tête-à-tête in your office. Join us there when you’re good to go.” He forced a smile at Beth and gestured for her to lead the way. “After you, madam.”

Beth didn’t move. She stood there and eyed him warily.

Josef rolled his eyes and sighed. “You will leave the room alive. I promise. Cross my heart.”

She glanced down pointedly at his hands. “But not your fingers, I hope?”

Josef couldn’t help but grin. He looked at Mick. “She’s finally starting to show some spunk—talking to me like that.”

Mick smiled lazily. “You deserve anything she throws back at you. Oh, Beth—just be wary if he starts swearing on his life, because technically he isn't living.”

“Right…great,” Beth smiled weakly. While she appreciated Mick’s attempt to try and put her at ease, it didn’t really help. At all.

She walked into Mick’s office with some trepidation. Josef followed closely behind her and shut the door.

To be continued...
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 3/5] PG13

Post by francis »

Great! Beth is quick thinking on her feet, and seems not overly shocked to see Mick being operated on and Josef's try to shock her with open talk about vampires doesn't really work. She has a lot of strength and spunk.
I like that her childhood trauma isn't coming up all the time here. It got a bit tiring in the show as it led to nothing until the balcony scene in episode 8.
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: I Know What You Are, Mick [ch. 3/5] PG13

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Thanks, Francis! Beth was still certainly shocked about discovering vampires exist, and a little afraid, but I think knowing Mick a little (and him having saved her life) plus his reassurances helped a lot. I think one way she deals with fear is to be a little spunky, as well. I can't remember if I forgot about her childhood trauma when I was writing, or if I purposefully left it out--after all, she didn't kill Lee Jay in this one, and there was no blow torch to spark her memory of the fire, so it wasn't really relevant here.

Return to “I Know What You Are, Mick”