Missed Me, Missed Me. Challenge #116 (PG13) Cora's voice

A place for Lucy's G to PG-13 stories
Lucy
Ancient

Missed Me, Missed Me. Challenge #116 (PG13) Cora's voice

Post by Lucy »

Champagne Challenge #116 - Between the Fire and the Fountain

Postby PNWgal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:33 pm
"Over the years I tried to stay close...just out of sight...in case she needed me..."

We all know the story - vampire saves little girl, vampire burns up ex-wife who stole little girl in a fire, vampire meets up with the grown woman the little girl becomes 22 years down the road at a crime scene...and the rest is history. :cloud9:

The question is...what happened in those 22 years between the fire and the fountain? Did Mick REALLY stay just out of sight? Beth said she always felt safe in spite of never knowing who kidnapped her as a child - could she have possibly caught a glimpse of her guardian angel? Did Josef ever know about the child Mick saved and kept tabs on? What REALLY happened to Coraline between being "burned" and turning up as Morgan?

Curious minds want to know!

The challenge is to write a fic - any length, rating or characters - about what YOU think happened Between the Fire and the Fountain. This challenge runs until the end of June.

Gentle Readers.......here is my PG 13 rated response to the Challenge:

Missed Me, Missed Me. After This, You’ll Never Kiss Me………

Tonight, this moonless, ungrateful night, I ask, for the essence of whatever we had Mick, WHY?

In one of your righteous blind rages you staked me, or thought you did.

How did you raise your hand against me? Your sire, your wife, the woman you said you’d love “forever”. Generally it’s said talk is cheap, now your words aren’t worth the paper our marriage license was typed on.

What were our yesterdays worth, that you shatter my heart like this?

Was all your chatter about a family just idle drivel, something to fill my head while you were off dawdling with Josef?

When we fought and clawed at each other, all I wanted was to hold you, feel your arms around my shoulders, and feel you call me “yours”. I so deeply desired to hear you say that you’d “love me forever”, as I’ve loved you for decades.

You threw that lantern in my specific direction, igniting the space between us……burning up any whimsy I had of us being together, being a family. Who are you, judge and jury to send me to an ashy grave? Who are you to suppose in your scant undead time YOU could judge ME?

Then you scuttled out, carrying that little whelp like she was a prize. Didn’t you notice me in the window? Smacking the wired pane like a barmy woman… …

I lugged myself away from the window, knowing full well you were miles down the road. You never saw the soot smudged tears in my eyes or offer to sooth my heart rending ache. You left me to pick splinters out of my knees, my hands, alone.

I knew that little Turner girl would be in her own bed before I could draw my next meal. I knew you’d be in that loft, alone. My burns have already healed; chalk it up to my lineage, being a Duvall. Yet as any woman in an unreturned love, I suffer the stabbing pangs in my vacant heart where I held your ardor.

Mick, in all our romance, you’ve driven me mad. At first it was your uncommonly godlike human body, your lust that knew no bounds for a mortal. I’d look into those hazel eyes of yours and see the two of us prowling the ends of the earth together in perpetuity. It was always my nature to crave you, as it was your nature to press on and retreat and advance once more. Mick, you drive me in into frenzies only in dark, ludicrous ways I cannot begin to count.

Will you go to your rest a million mornings hearing my cry? I can only hope............
Last edited by Lucy on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Missed Me, Missed Me. Challenge #116 (PG13)

Post by allegrita »

Oh, Lucy... this is so tragic. She's in such pain, and it's not just the pain of her burns. She doesn't understand Mick, and she truly can't see why her attempt to win him back drove him not only to truly leave her, but to try to kill her. I love that she called Baby Beth a "whelp." It's a perfect word for her to use... so in love with Mick and so utterly contemptuous of the humanity he yearns for.

And this:
Of course... he missed her heart, or only grazed it. He never looked back to see her rise up in the window. Beth did... but Beth was a little girl, and even Mick with his love of humans isn't going to ask a little girl what she saw. He's hoping she'll blot it out forever, forget all about it, bury it so deep it'll never come to the surface of her mind.

I'd love to see your take on where Coraline goes from here. I wonder if she has any clue that one day, she and the "whelp" will be rivals for the same man...?
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

allegrita wrote:Oh, Lucy... this is so tragic. She's in such pain, and it's not just the pain of her burns. She doesn't understand Mick, and she truly can't see why her attempt to win him back drove him not only to truly leave her, but to try to kill her. I love that she called Baby Beth a "whelp." It's a perfect word for her to use... so in love with Mick and so utterly contemptuous of the humanity he yearns for.

And this:
Of course... he missed her heart, or only grazed it. He never looked back to see her rise up in the window. Beth did... but Beth was a little girl, and even Mick with his love of humans isn't going to ask a little girl what she saw. He's hoping she'll blot it out forever, forget all about it, bury it so deep it'll never come to the surface of her mind.

I'd love to see your take on where Coraline goes from here. I wonder if she has any clue that one day, she and the "whelp" will be rivals for the same man...?

Thank-you, Allegrita: :notworthy:

I always wondered why Mick suffered so long thinking he killed her....then after watching the scenes over and over (oh, please. :phew: ..force me) it dawned on me, Beth was probably scared mute by the entire nightmare and Mick didn't see her.

:chin: Perhaps C and I will have tea tomorrow, she a loquacious lady, perhaps she'll spill more than AO+. :coffee:
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Oh Lucy, this is excellent! :notworthy: :rose:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lucy

This is quite well written and thought provoking.

Coraline is in agony here, and honestly, I haven't really thought that Coraline anguished about how anyone else sees things--even Mick. To me, her particular brand of eternity was very childlike--the universe revolved around her and whatever she desired. She discarded people with much the same ease as she cast off used tissues. The world was full of people as 'things' for her amusement and use.

Mick was nothing more than an amusement, and the thirty three years they were together but a blip in her lifespan.

Not so here. Coraline truly loved Mick here--their relationship more than a seeking to posess and be possessed. Coraline is making a heartfelt effort to win back his love and has badly miscalculated.

Much time and emphasis has been placed on what Coraline did to Mick, turning him into a vampire without his consent, but in light of what we saw in Mortal Cure, what did exposure to Mick do to change Coraline? Did she truly reinvent herself into someone he could care for?

There are so many questions that were never answered and are now left to fanfic. Is the Coraline we saw in Mortal Cure who she is now, or is this another mind game.

Thanks for this exploration of those questions.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :island:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

AussieJo wrote:Oh Lucy, this is excellent! :notworthy: :rose:

Your roses are gratefully accepted!

C is a complexity wrapped in passion.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Jenna
Your detailed comments bring me great joy!
There's always more than meets the eye when a storyteller spans decades.
I love ML; especially Coraline.
jen wrote:Lucy

Coraline is in agony here, and honestly, I haven't really thought that Coraline anguished about how anyone else sees things--even Mick. To me, her particular brand of eternity was very childlike--the universe revolved around her and whatever she desired. She discarded people with much the same ease as she cast off used tissues. The world was full of people as 'things' for her amusement and use.

Mick was nothing more than an amusement, and the thirty three years they were together but a blip in her lifespan.

Not so here. Coraline truly loved Mick here--their relationship more than a seeking to posess and be possessed. Coraline is making a heartfelt effort to win back his love and has badly miscalculated.

Much time and emphasis has been placed on what Coraline did to Mick, turning him into a vampire without his consent, but in light of what we saw in Mortal Cure, what did exposure to Mick do to change Coraline? Did she truly reinvent herself into someone he could care for?

There are so many questions that were never answered and are now left to fanfic. Is the Coraline we saw in Mortal Cure who she is now, or is this another mind game.

Jenna

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Oh wow!!! Coraline is so hurt by what Mick did. Do you think it was that he staked her at all that paralized her more than the stake itself? Once the shock wore off she was able to move.

He missed her heart. She misses him. Kind of poetic.
Who are you to suppose in your scant undead time YOU could judge ME?
Mick is so self-righteous, from her POV that must be quite arrogant. On the other hand, she tried to push him to her ways and didn't for one second take into account that he's his own man with his own wishes and dreams. Now he broke free and she still doesn't understand.

This story is suspended between understanding Coraline in her obsession with Mick and shaking my head at how clueless she is about what Mick is. It makes for a great story. :thumbs:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

francis wrote:Oh wow!!! Coraline is so hurt by what Mick did. Do you think it was that he staked her at all that paralized her more than the stake itself? Once the shock wore off she was able to move.

He missed her heart. She misses him. Kind of poetic.
Who are you to suppose in your scant undead time YOU could judge ME?
Mick is so self-righteous, from her POV that must be quite arrogant. On the other hand, she tried to push him to her ways and didn't for one second take into account that he's his own man with his own wishes and dreams. Now he broke free and she still doesn't understand.

This story is suspended between understanding Coraline in her obsession with Mick and shaking my head at how clueless she is about what Mick is. It makes for a great story. :thumbs:

Thank-you, francis :flowers:
It is quite a rocky path they travel... :angel:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

:clapping: I love this. Coraline is really suffering she is totally confused. Mick complained for years about what he couldn't have and here she provided it for him and he does that. I love the explanation for how Coraline stood up, that he missed the heart. It always bothered me in the episodes after Sleeping Beauty because Josef who was older couldn't stand up when staked.

A great look at Coraline.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

cassysj wrote::clapping: I love this. Coraline is really suffering she is totally confused. Mick complained for years about what he couldn't have and here she provided it for him and he does that. I love the explanation for how Coraline stood up, that he missed the heart. It always bothered me in the episodes after Sleeping Beauty because Josef who was older couldn't stand up when staked.

A great look at Coraline.
:notworthy: and your signature really makes me "squee" for that look she's giving Mick...... Thanks, a bunch for the read.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

jen wrote:Lucy

I really appreciate your comments, gives a writer a warm feeling. Writing Coraline can sometimes be a thankless role, yet I see a deep mine of emotions and so many experiences that we've not unearthed yet.
jen wrote:Coraline is in agony here, and honestly, I haven't really thought that Coraline anguished about how anyone else sees things--even Mick. To me, her particular brand of eternity was very childlike--the universe revolved around her and whatever she desired. She discarded people with much the same ease as she cast off used tissues. The world was full of people as 'things' for her amusement and use.
Even people perceived as monsters have feelings, that is why they are perceived as monsters....they act out, seeking love and when love doesn't come, they act out further. She does seem to act vengeful when she's hurt. Everybody bleeds, some react more harshly than others.......
jen wrote:Mick was nothing more than an amusement, and the thirty three years they were together but a blip in her lifespan.

Not so here. Coraline truly loved Mick here--their relationship more than a seeking to possess and be possessed. Coraline is making a heartfelt effort to win back his love and has badly miscalculated.
Josef was the one to tell us about the "blip", yes, her attitude reinforces that attitude. Again her tortured feelings had her take Mick from his mortal life, but it is like the dress you have to have so you charge it on a credit card with a high interest rate......
jen wrote:Much time and emphasis has been placed on what Coraline did to Mick, turning him into a vampire without his consent, but in light of what we saw in Mortal Cure, what did exposure to Mick do to change Coraline? Did she truly reinvent herself into someone he could care for?
While she gallivanted around Europe and the Americas all those years maybe she was searching for another boy toy, maybe she spent some time in reflection. Does a leopard change his spots? good question......
jen wrote:There are so many questions that were never answered and are now left to fanfic. Is the Coraline we saw in Mortal Cure who she is now, or is this another mind game.

Jenna

I believe Coraline was damaged goods before she was turned, once she was immortal she brought all the baggage - only able to react with the emotions and life experiences she carried. There for the grace of God go any of us.......

thank-you so much for your in depth comments.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Missed Me, Missed Me. Challenge #116 (PG13) Cora's voice

Post by redwinter101 »

Mmmm... this is the Coraline who intrigues me. The woman who can hurt and want and love and feel pain, yet is still a powerful, arrogant woman who sees herself as superior in so many ways to those around her:
Lucy wrote:[Who are you to suppose in your scant undead time YOU could judge ME?
Super line. I can hear her say it.

And this:
Lucy wrote:Will you go to your rest a million mornings hearing my cry? I can only hope............
is a great, great ending.

:clapping:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Hmmm, sorry to all the Coraline fans, but I'm in the minority here. I don't feel sorry for her at all. Yes, Coraline loved Mick in her own way, but her deception and actions she took without thinking of the consequences to others is what brought her to the showdown with Mick in the cabin. And in truth, he did feel bad that everything had spiraled down to such a tragic end (or so he thought). How can she turn it around and blame him for the fact that she loves him but he does not reciprocate? It happens everyday, and kidnapping Beth was the straw that broke the camel's back for him. If Coraline had taken time to maybe apologize for what she did in the first place and then get to know the real Mick, things may have turned out differently, but she simply went after her own selfish dreams and to hell with everyone else. And on that note, I'm gonna skedaddle before the Cora-lovers come after my head!! Image
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

redwinter101 wrote:Mmmm... this is the Coraline who intrigues me. The woman who can hurt and want and love and feel pain, yet is still a powerful, arrogant woman who sees herself as superior in so many ways to those around her:
Lucy wrote:[Who are you to suppose in your scant undead time YOU could judge ME?
Super line. I can hear her say it.

And this:
Lucy wrote:Will you go to your rest a million mornings hearing my cry? I can only hope............
is a great, great ending.

:clapping:

Red

Red-
I am so sorry I have missed thanking you for your comments.....RL dragged me away for awhile. :notworthy:

Return to “Lucy's Office”