Moonlight Lexicon

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Moonlight Lexicon

Post by allegrita »

Moonlight has made ardent fans of many people who have never before been part of any sort of organized fandom. Like any new world, Moonlight fandom has its own vernacular, and it can be pretty confusing. If you've been wondering what the heck we're talking about when we sling those odd words and phrases around, check out this Lexicon for answers.

Got some terms that you'd like to add to the Lexicon? Please post them as replies on this thread. And if you have a question about a term you don't see here, please feel free to ask! We'll continuously update this opening post with the new terms.

Moonlight Lexicon

/ --the slash symbol, ownership of which is traditionally claimed in fandom by the slash community to denote same sex pairings. Compare to & (ampersand), which, when placed between two same sex characters' names, denotes non-slash, friendship-based fics.

100% Freshie --in freshie fic, a freshie who is available to essentially any interested vampire.

AD --Arrested Development, episode 5.

AOL --Alex O’Loughlin.

AU --Alternate Universe. Fanfic that explores a "what-if" version of events, based on circumstances that differ from the facts as presented by the show's creators. (See Canon.)

BabyBeth --Beth at age four, when she was kidnapped by Coraline, and rescued by Mick.

Baby Mick -- refers to Mick as he appeared in the original, unaired pilot.

B.C. --Black Crystal, a drug (for humans) made from vampire blood. Also the title of episode 6.

Cap (also known as Screencap) --a single frame captured from a video source and used as a still picture. Most of the Moonlight images on this board are screencaps taken from episodes.

Canon --the "official" version of a story as presented by its creators. For Moonlight, "canon" refers to facts, characters, events, etc., as portrayed in the 16 episodes. (See AU.)

Chicken Josh --slightly derisive term coined by some fans for Beth's boyfriend Josh Lindsey, referring to the chicken dinner he burned on their one-year anniversary.

Cleaners --the women (and men) in black leather who take care of vampire mistakes. Canon refers to "The Cleaner," but there are obviously several, and fanon assumes that every city must have its teams of Cleaners.

Crossover --in fic, a story that crosses two universes. For example, if Moonlight vamps show up Hawaii, and interact with Steve McGarrett, that's a crossover.

Dark (as in Darkfic, DarkMick) --usually fic with very intense, often violent, and sad themes. If you like your fanfic fluffy, don’t open one marked darkfic.

Drabble --in fanfic, a story that contains exactly 100 words.

Exclusive --in freshie fic, an exclusive freshie has devoted him- or herself to one vampire. No other vampire may drink from this freshie.

Fandom --the subculture of fans who share a common obsession interest (in this case, in Moonlight).

Fanfic --fiction written by fans of a book, movie, TV show (e.g., Moonlight), etc., using the characters, locations, and "world" of the show as a framework. Fanfic may be canon or AU.

Fanon --ideas that are not actually included in the show, but which have become commonly accepted. For example, prior to FtP, fanon held that Mick had a bedroom, and a bed, in the FoS.

FdL --"Fleur de Lis," episode 9.

Fortress of Style (often abbreviated as FoS) --a fan name for Mick's loft apartment, and the beautiful building of which it is the penthouse. Probably coined by tlace in a post she made on a LiveJournal blog called "willingfreshies" in the fall of 2007. She used screencaps and hilariously snarky commentary to analyze the design of Mick's apartment, and remembers creating the term for this post. Unfortunately, the blog that contained it has been removed, so the original post is lost.

Freshie (also known as Willing Freshie --a human who gives his or her blood to vampires willingly. In Moonlight canon, freshies experience intense pleasure when bitten by a vampire. The concept of freshies has been expanded in fanfic to include different types of vampire-freshie relationships. (See 100% Freshie, Exclusive.)

Freshie Fic --fanfic genre devoted to the lives of freshies, especially Josef Kostan's freshies. The term was originally applied to characters created in off-canon role-playing scenarios, but has expanded to cover all stories which feature freshies as main characters.

Freshie Wing --in fanfic, Josef Kostan's mansion is often depicted as having an entire wing devoted to housing Josef's exclusive freshies.

FtP --"Fated to Pretend," episode 13.

HEM -- abbreviation for the name of Chemma Tejada's gang, Hermanos en Muerte (brothers in death).

Hurt/Comfort --a genre of fanfic in which one character (usually a canon character) is either physically or mentally hurt or abused, and another character, either canon or OC, provides care and comfort.

JD --Jason Dohring.

JoBe (also JoBeth) --in fanfic, the extrapolated relationship between Josef and Beth.

Jock --an abbreviation used to indicate the Josef/Mick slash pairing in fanfic.

Josefites --perhaps this needs no definition, but those devoted to Mr. Kostan are, well, so devoted they have garnered several nicknames.

Josef Muse --while a muse generally is the term for the compulsion to write fanfic, Josef seems to have a particularly compelling presence in the minds of many fic writers.

Joz'f --phonetic spelling of the way Mick pronounces Josef's name.

Kasa Kostan --affectionate term for Josef Kostan's mansion, seen in NSTAV.

Konstan/Konstantin/Konstantine --alternative surnames for Josef that appear regularly in fanfic, as they were used in early scripts for the show. The name Kostan was finally used to avoid confusion with a "real" Joseph Constantine.

Kostanites (also Kostanistas) --fans who are especially devoted to Josef Kostan.

Lando Calrissian --character in the Star Wars movies (The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi), played by Billy Dee Williams. Logan wanted his codename to be Lando Calrissian during the rescue of Emma Monaghan in Sonata.

Leeroy Jenkins --the name Logan shouted in Sonata as he ran to stop the van transporting Emma Monaghan. This is a very geeky reference to a somewhat famous (in World of Warcraft circles) guy who rushed into a WoW battle headlong, disrupting the plan that had been developed by his fellow players... and leading to the deaths of all of their characters.

LLF --"Love Lasts Forever," episode 11.

Medic Mick --refers to World War II-era Mick, as shown in flashbacks in WLB, who joined the army with his best friend Ray Fordham, saw heavy action in Italy and Belgium... and came home to console Ray's (supposed) widow, Lilah.

MickBeth --known sometimes as "McBeth," refers to the relationship between Mick and Beth, and sometimes to the belief that it is the One True Pairing of Moonlight.

MickCora --refers to the relationship between Mick and Coraline, and sometimes to the belief that it is the One True Pairing of Moonlight.

Moonlight Math --affectionately teasing term coined by Moonlight fans for the numerical inconsistencies in the show. One important source of these inconsistencies is that in the original unaired pilot, Mick was turned in 1947. In the show that aired, he was turned in 1952, thus creating a 5-year discrepancy that was not completely fixed by the continuity staff.

Morgaline --semi-affectionate name for Coraline while in her cover identity as Morgan Vincent.

Nonfat soy vegan blood --derisive term coined by Josef Kostan (in NSTAV) for the blood Mick buys from Guillermo, which is drained from corpses.

NSTAV --"No Such Thing as Vampires," episode 1.

OC --original character; in fanfic, a character created by the author, as opposed to one of the established characters from the show.

One-shot --in fanfic, a story that is complete in itself, not a chapter of a longer work.

OOTP --"Out of the Past," episode 2.

OTP --One True Pair (or Pairing). A relationship (sometimes AU) between characters that is preferred by a particular fan. (The term OTP applies mostly to fanfic. Also see Shipper.)

Party House --Coraline's house with floor-to-ceiling windows, as seen in "The Ringer" and FdL.

Red Room -- the party room seen in the 1980's flashback in OOTP, where "Hungry Like the Wolf" was played.

SB --"Sleeping Beauty," episode 10.

Shipper --a fan of a particular 'ship (short for relationship) in the show.

Slash --a genre of fanfic featuring same-sex romantic relationships.

Snark --the practice of adding (hopefully) humorous captions or dialogue to screencaps from Moonlight or other projects of our beloved cast. Used as both a noun ("I loved that Josef snark you posted") and as a verb ("That cap was just begging to be snarked").

Squee --the noise made by fangirls. (Who, US?)

Tar Pits --in FtP, Josef mentions disposing of someone in the La Brea Tar Pits. In the fandom, the tar pits are often used as a humorous way of referring to a place where we’d like to see various people, characters, or things go. Also used as a verb, e.g.: "Lance really should be tar-pitted."

TeenVamp --Mineo, the homicidal teenaged vampire from AD.

TMC --"The Mortal Cure," episode 12.

VSRRR --Vampire Solidarity, Rah Rah Rah. A line from NSTAV that is often used by fans as a rallying cry.

WLB --"What's Left Behind," episode 15.

WoW --World of Warcraft, Logan's favorite online roleplayer game. He rules it on Tuesdays and Thursdays. :snicker: And Mick gives us a hint in OOtP that he's familiar with it, too.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Moonlight Lexicon

Post by francis »

Squeeee!!! :rolling:

I love that you included Joz'f.
Maybe you could include /. That sign is a bit difficult to know when never exposed to fanfic. :flowers:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I've added that, francis.

I've also added Konstan/Konstantin/Konstantine. :twothumbs:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

How about Baby Mick?
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Not sure whether this might be relevant or not, but some post LLF fics include an abbreviation of the name of Tejada's gang and I know that it took me a while to figure out what it meant. I think it was the initials (starting with 'H', but I can't remember the rest). Would this qualify for an inclusion?
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

HEM Hermanos el Muerto, I believe.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

nutmegger911 wrote:HEM Hermanos el Muerto, I believe.
Yes! That's it, nm. Confused the hell out of me at the time.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I believe it's Hermanos en Muerte -- brothers in death. I'll add it, as well as Baby Mick. :twothumbs:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Great idea, Alle! I can't think of a thing you've missed. :clapping:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

so now....we can speak Moonlight.......
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Great lexicon! Can't think of anything to add to it. :twothumbs:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
ash
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Trying juggle, homework, uni, a social life, rp and writing things that get stuck in my head. Tough

Post by ash »

what about dabble, one shot and multi-story fic
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Good suggestions, ash. I think multi-story (or multi-chapter) kind of speaks for itself, but drabble and one-shot were definitely new terms to me when I started out. I've updated the first post. Thanks!
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

Baby Mick? :giggle: I am clearly missing out on some of the fanspeak. Thanks for the excellent compilation! :woohoo:
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

believe me, Tam, you're in good company - it's never ending, this ML world ... :laugh:

So, here's one (well, two really): consider adding something about Leroy Jenkins and Lando Calrissian (sp?) and their WoW connections, since it just came up in the H50 thread. I don't know WoW stuff at all, but I'm sure someone here does.
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill

Return to “Moonlight Ambiance”