Alfred Sole, production designer - interviews and links

diane31
Fledgling

Re: Audio interview with Alfred Sole, production designer

Post by diane31 »

wpgrace wrote:
librarian_7 wrote:Red, thanks so much for the download link. I adore being able to save stuff like this!

I have to agree with grace about Mick's loft being his sanctuary, but I've always thought it was a little sterile. Dead branches and hard crystal fireplace and all...and perfectly preserved, as Mick was himself. I'd love to have seen some little changes as the series went on, and Mick's heart was awakened from solitude to passion.

Lucky

I like that idea, tho I think that that might not have happened until season 2, Lucky.
He toyed with himself, with the idea that he might feel love, all thru season 1. But he didn't really admit it, even to himself, until those final minutes. So I don't think he'd've changed his space until that point. It would've seemed threatening to him to do so, I think. Playing with fire. Inviting bad luck and disappointment. More regrets. Opening himself to heartache. The very things his loft was supposed to protect him from.
What a great topic, video... comments! :heart: :ghug: :heart:
You know it's very strange, being more of a Logan type myself when it comes to, huh, my relationship with my material possesions :whistle: , I usually immaculate spaces uncomfortably cold. And yes it's true that Mick's place is sterile, and meant to be, but somehow it has never felt like that to me. Probably because all the colors are warm, comforting, and the styles and elements are so varied. To me what the immaculateness spells is above all control, self control. His loft is such a reflection of his personality, especially that aspect, that to me it is almost an integral part of him, you know? And it is really amazing that the designers and decorators achieved that. To me it's a lot the same as Alex's acting really: he could express Mick's complexity without even uttering a word; they did it with apartment: just looking at it, you see so much of who Mick is.

All that being said I'm so bumped that we didn't get the freezer scene! And I don't care if it was going to be chaste, or even cheezy, or whatever!!! It explains that shot that we saw in one of the late promos of Mick opening his freezer and smiling down at it though. Ah, if only that footage still existed somewhere and a kind soul put it on the web, like we got the unaired pilot... :cloud9:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Interviews with Alfred Sole, production designer

Post by allegrita »

What a wonderful thought, diane! Unfortunately, from what Ethan said at the MoonlightCon, they never filmed that sequence. I wish they had. It might not be sensible for Mick and Beth to cuddle in the freezer, but it would be very sweet.

I loved your thoughts about why Mick's apartment was so neat. I feel the same way--that the warmth and variation of the style elements of the FoS reflected his basic personality (and his warmth and humanity)... and the severity and squeaky-cleanness reflected his iron self-control, which he imposed on himself after he became a vampire. He showed signs of that self-control even when he was human--leaving Lilah, for example--but he also had a passion and wildness--remember the chair through the window? And you can see from the way he reacts to things on the show that he has a wonderful capacity for caring and compassion. :hearts: A complex guy, isn't he? That's part of the reason he's so fascinating.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Alfred Sole, production designer - interviews and links

Post by redwinter101 »

As well as being responsible for the fabulous look of Moonlight, Alfred Sole is also the production designer on Castle. The pillars of light from Mick's apartment have already appeared, as has the Alex Gross mural from Josef's office (in Beckett's apartment):

Last night's episode was filmed in LA, leading to a host of Moonlight references and memories.

This street look familiar?

And then I thought I recognised the style of the mural on the wall of Castle's hotel room:

Yes, it's a new work by Alex Gross:

http://www.alexgross.com/index.html

Then there was the final shootout at Santa Monica pier:

I adore this man's work - and I love that he loved his Moonlight work enough to continue to reference it in his subsequent projects.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Oh that's just lovely, Red...and how much do I love that Alex Gross piece??

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

It's amazing. :hearts:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson

Return to “Moonlight Ambiance”