Josef's mural - Alex Gross is making a print

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Josef's mural - info from the artist Alex Gross

Post by cassysj »

Lilly wrote:
librarian_7 wrote:If you look at some of the scenes in Josef's office, particularly when he's talking with Beth in FdL, you can see that the central figure from the ceiling mural, is also repeated on columns in the office walls.

Lucky
Here's another angle:

Notice the figure off to the left.
I'm completely oblivious. This is extraordinary. You know in a lot of ways the internet and dvds have lessened my observation of some of my favorite shows. For example 20 years ago when all I had were my VHS tapes they were watched over and over and over and I knew everything about Quantum Leap for example. What they wore, places, things. Now, so much of my time is spent either on the internet or watching Netflix movies I don't have time to re-watch shows the way I once did. It's kind of interesting because I know it's the exact opposite for a lot of people.
VAsusieQ18
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by VAsusieQ18 »

That is so cool, Lilly, that you've been able to converse with him about the painting. I assume that the one he has rolled up in the largest casing he's ever used is the painting I stood beside and touched while on the Moonlight set/soundstage on the WB tour back in May. It was haphazzardly leaning against the huge table used in Josef's office. Nothing was left of the set, but that painting was huge and definitely stood out. It was awesome to look at it and just take it all in. Its quite beautiful and definitely would be the subject of many a conversation if anyone were to purchase a copy. Again, thanks for asking the artist those questions and for letting us know if his willingness to work on getting us prints, if we so wish.
Beautiful banner and avatar by sirensong!
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

cassysj wrote:I'm completely oblivious. This is extraordinary. You know in a lot of ways the internet and dvds have lessened my observation of some of my favorite shows. For example 20 years ago when all I had were my VHS tapes they were watched over and over and over and I knew everything about Quantum Leap for example. What they wore, places, things. Now, so much of my time is spent either on the internet or watching Netflix movies I don't have time to re-watch shows the way I once did. It's kind of interesting because I know it's the exact opposite for a lot of people.
Or, it could be that... like I said on another thread, when Josef is in the room even a magnificant office such as his gets eclipsed. I didn't realize the image was elsewhere either until it was pointed out, but I feel sure that if they had scenes in his office when he wasn't there I would have noticed. :snicker:
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

I would like to add my thanks to you Lilly for contacting him. And I also have to admit to being oblivious to the mural - HOWEVER once I've seen it - it is GORGEOUS! And your interpretation from a Moonlight perspective is fabulous. The colors are SO vivid - and I am thinking I'd love a print of it as well *makes note to email artist*

Thank you SO much Lilly - this was incredibly fascinating!

:hug:

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

VAsusieQ18 wrote:That is so cool, Lilly, that you've been able to converse with him about the painting. I assume that the one he has rolled up in the largest casing he's ever used is the painting I stood beside and touched while on the Moonlight set/soundstage on the WB tour back in May. It was haphazzardly leaning against the huge table used in Josef's office. Nothing was left of the set, but that painting was huge and definitely stood out. It was awesome to look at it and just take it all in. Its quite beautiful and definitely would be the subject of many a conversation if anyone were to purchase a copy. Again, thanks for asking the artist those questions and for letting us know if his willingness to work on getting us prints, if we so wish.
Susie! You touched it?? :happysigh:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I wonder... they didn't REALLY burn the office down, did they? I saw a behind the scenes video where Jason explained that they put explosives under the table for the poker play scene, but did they really burn the place or did they take all the art and furniture out and then put in burnt cable and plaster and all the rubble we see in the last episodes? I have no idea how it is done, but they can't possibly have really burned the set down, can they?
VAsusieQ18
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by VAsusieQ18 »

Lilly wrote:
VAsusieQ18 wrote:That is so cool, Lilly, that you've been able to converse with him about the painting. I assume that the one he has rolled up in the largest casing he's ever used is the painting I stood beside and touched while on the Moonlight set/soundstage on the WB tour back in May. It was haphazzardly leaning against the huge table used in Josef's office. Nothing was left of the set, but that painting was huge and definitely stood out. It was awesome to look at it and just take it all in. Its quite beautiful and definitely would be the subject of many a conversation if anyone were to purchase a copy. Again, thanks for asking the artist those questions and for letting us know if his willingness to work on getting us prints, if we so wish.
Susie! You touched it?? :happysigh:
Yup, touched it and stood inches from it for 10 minutes! :snicker: Its HUGE! Taller than me at 5'10" and bigger across than the huge black table that was used in Josef's office. Its also a lot brighter than I thought it would be. I guess in the scenes from Moonlight, Josef's office was always dark or had little light. But on the soundstage, with nothing much around to detract from its sheer size and beauty, it really stood out as a great piece of art. I even noticed that when viewing the painting from various angles, you get a different "feel" for it, if that makes sense. It's truly stunning!
Josefismysire
Courtesan

Post by Josefismysire »

Susie... :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I, too, remember being in that soundstage, and suddenly realizing, OMG that's Josef's office mural! It did seem like it was casually stuck over against a handy wall. I sure wish they'd let us take a few pics in there. The partially dismantled sets were so evocative to us.

Lucky
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

francis wrote:I wonder... they didn't REALLY burn the office down, did they? I saw a behind the scenes video where Jason explained that they put explosives under the table for the poker play scene, but did they really burn the place or did they take all the art and furniture out and then put in burnt cable and plaster and all the rubble we see in the last episodes? I have no idea how it is done, but they can't possibly have really burned the set down, can they?
I think someone who visited the set could answer this better than I can, but I'm guessing they can't afford to be unnecessarily wasteful in television production. We know they removed the mural. My guess is that all of the real furniture and set dressing were removed and then they re-dressed the set with the "burned out" look.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
VAsusieQ18
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by VAsusieQ18 »

Lilly wrote:
francis wrote:I wonder... they didn't REALLY burn the office down, did they? I saw a behind the scenes video where Jason explained that they put explosives under the table for the poker play scene, but did they really burn the place or did they take all the art and furniture out and then put in burnt cable and plaster and all the rubble we see in the last episodes? I have no idea how it is done, but they can't possibly have really burned the set down, can they?
I think someone who visited the set could answer this better than I can, but I'm guessing they can't afford to be unnecessarily wasteful in television production. We know they removed the mural. My guess is that all of the real furniture and set dressing were removed and then they re-dressed the set with the "burned out" look.
The only sets left standing when we got there for the tour were Mick's apartment and Beth's apartment. Even Mick's freezer had been dismantled. :( I actually cut my leg on a corner of Mick's freezer. I consider the small scar to be a badge of honor! :mrgreen:

Josef's office had been completely dismanted. I'm not even sure if the mural and the table were in the spot they would have been if the set had still been erected. It looked as though they had just put them there, out of the way, waiting to be disposed of in whatever manner they saw fit. So I can't say what was destroyed by shooting the explosion scene. But the huge table and the mural were not, thats for sure! :snicker:
Carisa ITT

Post by Carisa ITT »

Interesting!

Did you know by the way that "Matasaburo of the wind" is a story, written by the japanese author Kenji Miyazawa ? I wonder if there are any small threads or metaphors to be taken here....

Here's the story btw., for those who are interested: http://www.kenji-world.net/english/work ... aburo.html
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

In the “Vivianite –The Painters Portal” interview which I quoted above, Alex goes on to say,"What I will say about this piece, is that I owe a great deal of it to the great Japanese artist and designer Shinohara Katsuyuki. He is one of my favorite artists ever. He was an illustrator who did several incredible posters for Japanese underground theater in the 60s and 70s. 'Matasaburo of The Wind' is the name of a traditional Japanese fable, and also was the name of a play for which he did the poster. The main character in that poster is the same woman that I painted in my painting."
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

I would love to have a large copy of this painting hanging in my home. My husband and I go for the minimalist, feng shui look and this would fit perfectly. Alas, not working, so I can't afford it right now, but oh, it would fit so well....
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I love this painting (and I've emailed Alex :) ).

As has been mentioned, the character of Matasaburo is known as The Angel of the Wind. Without reading the fable, this painting creates a Hiroshima image for me (the doll, the planes, the eclipse) - and a bridge from the past to the present, with the mechano-industrial background contrasting with the flowers and the traditional forms of the main figure. It really is incredibly beautiful and I hope Alex gets enough interest to make it worthwhile to produce a print.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson

Return to “Moonlight Ambiance”