The Title Guarantee Building (Mick's building)

myimmortal
Fledgling

Re: The Title Guarantee Building (Mick's building)

Post by myimmortal »

librarian_7 wrote:Jenga is exactly right. How could anyone think that suitable to go next to a beautiful Art Deco building like the FoS?
What gets me is that the writer of the article actually thinks the original monstrosity blends better with the Title Guarantee than the new building!

Thought I'd post there here for those who don't read the other topic...
allegrita wrote:You, too, can own a teeny-tiny version of Mick's building. In multiple finishes, yet! :teeth:

http://www.replicabuildings.com/proddet ... 540&cat=25
Here's what it looks like in real life -- I knew it was teeny, but it's still teenier than I thought! Pic taken at a vacation rental loft in the Title Guarantee Building where I'm staying for a week.

Here's the view from the loft, which is on the 9th floor -- directly under and 3 floors down from where Mick's loft would be. So this is the correct angle but slightly lower than Mick's view. If you've seen pics of Pershing square before, the big blue monolith is now painted white (it just has a slightly blue hue in this pic due to the afternoon light).

First night in the loft... Lots of street noise! Since the building has a historic designation, the old-style windows have to be maintained and can't be replaced with e.g. modern double-glazed windows that have better soundproofing. The noise doesn't bother me because I also live downtown along a main thoroughfare and am used to street noise all night long -- the Title Guarantee noise is just less muffled that my more modern condo back home. Living alone, I actually find a bit of ambient noise comforting -- a reminder that there's a living world out there and not e.g. a zombie apocalypse haha. :snicker:

In contrast to the noise from outside, the interior of the building is extremely soundproof. There is NO sound at all from the neighboring lofts. (In my condo back home, one of my neighbors has a juicer that sounds like someone drilling into the wall every time they use it!) I'm sure Mick finds the interior soundproofing really handy for those times when baddies bust through the skylights and have fistfights in the FoS! :devil:
_____
banner by me | avatar by cowpatface on deviant art
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

How awesome that you are getting the real-life experience of living in the building for a while! :cloud9: Glad you don't have to worry about having someone crash in from above, though. :snicker:
myimmortal
Fledgling

Post by myimmortal »

A couple of night shots taken from the Title Guarantee Building, 9th floor (Mick's penthouse is on the 12th).

The view in this pic is the same one in the screenshot in my sig. :snicker:
_____
kath40
Cleaner

Post by kath40 »

OMG! :thud: Those night shots are Stunning...Beautiful...Breathtaking. No kidding they take my breath away and bring tears to my eyes. :heart:

Nobody but us Moonlight fans can appreciate that view and the special meaning it holds for all of us.

Thanks for sharing them :rose:
Last edited by kath40 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Great shots... the word "stunning" is exactly what came to my mind too, kath! :hearts:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

allegrita wrote:I hate that the rear part of it will be taller than the Title Guarantee Building. :Mickangel: Having buildings on two sides doesn't bother me, as that building was obviously made to butt up against buildings on those sides anyway. But it should be the tallest one on the block, darn it. :sigh:

Here, here....Allegrita has spoken and I agree!!!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

This is kind of cool... :teeth:

A professor from my University, the University of Southern California, is part of the team that won first prize in a competition to design a makeover for Pershing Square! It's the park across the street from Mick's building. I really like the new design! :thumbs: Unfortunately, the Title Guarantee building isn't shown in the design pictures in the article, although the Biltmore Hotel is. http://news.usc.edu/102974/usc-architec ... ng-square/
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Very cool!
myimmortal
Fledgling

Post by myimmortal »

allegrita wrote:A professor from my University, the University of Southern California, is part of the team that won first prize in a competition to design a makeover for Pershing Square! It's the park across the street from Mick's building. I really like the new design! :thumbs: Unfortunately, the Title Guarantee building isn't shown in the design pictures in the article, although the Biltmore Hotel is. http://news.usc.edu/102974/usc-architec ... ng-square/
Here's more info (with pictures) of the winning design:
http://pershingsquarenew.com/winning-design/

The architects also made a proposal video with more detail on their vision for Pershing Square:
https://vimeo.com/163432859

One of the highlights is that their design incorporates four garden areas in Pershing Square, and one of them is most appropriately named the Moonlight Garden! :teeth:

In other news, I was in LA a couple weeks ago and saw that the bottom floor of the FoS (where the leasing office and gym used to be) has been converted into a... Starbucks. :mug: :mug: :mug:

ETA - Forgot one more link. For a few weeks in August, Pershing Square was home to an experimental art piece called Liquid Shard. Here's an article and video about it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jared-gre ... 11862.html
The moribund Pershing Square Park in downtown Los Angeles briefly came back to life over the past few weeks, thanks to artist Patrick Hearn's monumental and mesmerizing Liquid Shard, which is made of holographic mylar and monofilament and spans some 15,000 square feet. Riding invisible wind currents, the piece undulates along a span 15 feet high to the top of the park's tower, at 150 feet high.
From a distance, the effect is that of a giant river of water hanging in mid-air. :teeth:
_____

Return to “Moonlight Ambiance”