FoS furnishings - where can I find that?

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: FoS furnishings - where can I find that?

Post by allegrita »

Mick's coffee table is made of two Amici Stainless Steel benches, with a piece of glass on top.

They are available for $546.00 each (regular $900) from Advanced Interior Designs: http://stores.advancedinteriordesigns.c ... Detail.bok

(There is also a matching stainless steel coffee table that is 10 inches wider, but the pictures make it look like they used the narrower benches.)

Here's a picture of Mick's coffee table, for reference:

ETA: Advanced Interior Designs also has Mick's Bertoia side chairs on sale, for $140.00! :teeth:
http://stores.advancedinteriordesigns.c ... Detail.bok
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

allegrita wrote:Mick's coffee table is made of two Amici Stainless Steel benches, with a piece of glass on top.

They are available for $546.00 each (regular $900) from Advanced Interior Designs: http://stores.advancedinteriordesigns.c ... Detail.bok

(There is also a matching stainless steel coffee table that is 10 inches wider, but the pictures make it look like they used the narrower benches.)

Here's a picture of Mick's coffee table, for reference:

ETA: Advanced Interior Designs also has Mick's Bertoia side chairs on sale, for $140.00! :teeth:
http://stores.advancedinteriordesigns.c ... Detail.bok

what a cool idea to use benches with glass over the top!!!! Thanks!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Alle -- what a great find!! I can't tell you how long I looked for that "coffee table." :hug:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
myimmortal
Fledgling

Post by myimmortal »

I suspect the inspiration for the bookshelf in Mick's loft is...

...the library room in the Viceroy Santa Monica hotel!!! Ya think?!? :brow:
http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/en/santamonica

According to this site, the hotel was built in the '60s but the current decor is from a big renovation in 2002, so it definitely pre-dates Moonlight:
http://www.santamonicabeaches.com/vicer ... onica.html

Here are some more pics that give a better sense of the room layout:
http://www.oyster.com/los-angeles/hotel ... a-v670280/

And the interior designer who created it:
http://www.kellywearstler.com/Viceroy-S ... lt,pg.html
_____
banner by me | avatar by cowpatface on deviant art
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

Wow! Great find on the bookcase. Must have been the inspiration for ML's bookcase. Too much of a coincidence. I remember hearing an interview with a set designer on ML (can't remember if it was Chris or Alfred) where they explained their idea for the bookcase, but I don't remember them mentioning they received inspiration from the library in Santa Monica.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

What a fantastic bookcase find! If this wasn't the inspiration for Mick's, then it's an almost unbelievable coincidence. Now, if only it was for sale! :laugh:

The chair in front of the bookcase even looks a bit like Mick's reading chair to me, if you imagine it as brown instead of yellow.

Thanks so much for these wonderful pictures! I'm still determined to build myself a Mick bookshelf one day; it's my absolute favorite of the FoS furnishings.
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

I agree Shadow - the chair does look similar to Micks. I hadn't noticed that before as too busy looking as the bookshelf. :slaphead:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

It would be fun to go check that library out. :teeth: I've got to say, I'm glad Mick's decor isn't such a violent shade of yellow! :snicker:
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

Oh wow! And in Santa Monica, right where Beth lives! :teeth:
allegrita wrote:I've got to say, I'm glad Mick's decor isn't such a violent shade of yellow! :snicker:
Yes I was thinking the same thing lol! It's bright enough to give a vampire sunburn! :snicker:
myimmortal
Fledgling

Post by myimmortal »

Shadow wrote:Thanks so much for these wonderful pictures! I'm still determined to build myself a Mick bookshelf one day; it's my absolute favorite of the FoS furnishings.
I actually got a quote to build a 7' x 7' Mick bookcase in my apartment and it came out to CDN $4000 for melamine or CDN $7000 for mahogany. :gasp: I still want to get it one day, but I decided it will be the last major piece for my apartment not the first! :snicker:
allegrita wrote:It would be fun to go check that library out. :teeth: I've got to say, I'm glad Mick's decor isn't such a violent shade of yellow! :snicker:
I'm definitely planning to drop by there when I visit LA in a few weeks. :twothumbs:
diane31 wrote:It's bright enough to give a vampire sunburn! :snicker:
Alternatively, you could say it is vamp-friendly -- they can enjoy brightness of the sun without being in the sun. :winky:
_____
banner by me | avatar by cowpatface on deviant art
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I'm slowly catching up on things after being a away. This is a FABULOUS find, myimmortal! :twothumbs: :hearts: It's really uncanny how much Mick's loft reflects this room -- not only in the bookcase and the reading chair, but also in the the very straight, modern lines of the sofa. Mick's had much wider armrests, but it definitely has the same feeling as well. :yes:

ETA: I went back and found the article where Chris Marsteller talks about the bookcase: http://www.monstersandcritics.com/small ... _questions

The photos are gone now, but the relevant part is here:
I love the bookcase and want to buy or make one for my new library. Any suggestions?

Of course, Mick's bookcase is custom built. It was designed by our production designer Alfred Sole and is (as most of Mick's place) a defining part of the set.

If I may make one suggestion. I don't know what size most of your books are, but I would take an average and tallest measurement of your books. The squares in Mick's bookcase were built at 16 inches.
This requires a large size (table or art) book to fill it properly, which became one of our biggest challenges given our time frame and budget.

As far as purchasing something like Mick's bookcase I think it would be difficult to come by.
Depending on your budget and resources I would try to find a carpenter or cabinet maker to handle the project.
For a lower budget perhaps some modular wine storage cubes would give you a similar effect.
The wine storage cube are an interesting option. The only problem is that you end up with split "diamonds" where one cube ends and another would start...

This one is 42'x42' and is available in walnut or mahoghany at http://www.wineentusiast.com for $189.95. Perhaps 2 of them side by side on top of some sort of credenza would have a nice effect.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Yay Lilly - our 'Queen of Props & Locations' has found a cheaper alternative! :laugh:

And I don't know why this thought never occurred to me when I first read that interview, but regarding the 16" openings, given Mick's former occupation I'm surprised they didn't fill them with some 'old-school' record albums. :rolling: As someone who refuses to "get rid of" her old albums, I know how perfect this bookcase would be. I lived next door to a used record shop for a few years, so I have a rather large record collection (a couple of thousand albums at one time - I've since pared down a bit). Due to the size and weight of record albums, it took me forever to find decent shelving for my record collection. I ended up having to special order something from the "Musician's Friend" Website.

And like all of you, the bookshelves were one of my most favorite set pieces (I already had Mick's kitchen faucet installed :laugh: ). I too am hoping to someday add something 'diamond' to one of my rooms. (Although right now I'm refraining from any additions since I'm still hoping - more than ever after the recent nightmare with the neighbor - to buy a single-family house in the nice, quiet, 'suburban' neighborhood out by the ocean. Alas the techies have thrust us into another housing bubble - current median price is $1 million - so I'll have to wait a few years 'til prices come back down from the stratosphere.)

Anyway, your price quote, myimmortal, made me curious so I've just contacted a little bookshelf shop we have in the neighborhood to see what they would charge. They hand-build, so I've given them the same dimensions and finish and asked for a quote. I'll let you know, just for curiosity. :thumbs:

Finally, just wanted to say it has been fun reading this and seeing all your "finds" so thanks for sharing and good luck with your decorating! :cloud9:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, I'm kicking myself. On a recent trip to Colorado, I spotted a wooden jar that looked for all the world like those ones Mick has by his door. This one was a touch smaller--not a drawback!--and sort of reasonably priced. Like an idiot, I didn't just go ahead and buy it on the spot, as I'd been a little profligate earlier in the day. Then, when I went back to get it, having reconsidered, someone else had stolen it away from me. :slaphead: Grumble, grumble, grumble.
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

When the aliens land, they will wonder why all these women have such similar looking homes. :rolling:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

HotMicks wrote:And I don't know why this thought never occurred to me when I first read that interview, but regarding the 16" openings, given Mick's former occupation I'm surprised they didn't fill them with some 'old-school' record albums.
What a great thought, HM! :bulb: :notworthy: And what a missed opportunity for them. On the other hand, I don't know if the thin edges of record albums would've have had the same visual "pop" as the large books. Still, it fits so much better with who Mick is. :yes: :hearts:

Lucky - that is so frustrating. :comfort2: :hug:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index

Return to “Moonlight Ambiance”