Film Noir & Moonlight

Lucy
Ancient

Re: Film Noir & Moonlight

Post by Lucy »

twilightdew wrote:
Yes, the lack of noir in the last four episodes was really a bummer. Moonlight felt off without its signature noir elements and it wasn't until they were missing that I really understood how much it contributed to Moonlight's cool and edgy style. I think that in many ways Moonlight, from vampires to noir, was far ahead of its time. And maybe you're right, if CBS had emphasized the noir and the crime-of-the-week aspect more in their marketing, it would have encouraged more of the mainstream, older audience (particularly those who watch CBS shows) to give it a try. And once the vampire craze picked up (and basically anyone who had picked up a Twilight book knew, for better or worse, that it would) then the vampire aspect could have been highlighted in promos, ads, commercials, etc. But the bottom line is that I think too much was expected all at once and there wasn't enough faith and patience.

I totally love the use of voice overs in Moonlight and now I find myself more aware of voice overs in TV shows. In fact, I tend to like shows that use them heavily. For instance, Burn Notice just wouldn't be the same without them and neither would Veronica Mars (a show I discovered only a few years ago!).

That poor season.....if only ML could have had a do-over.
I totally agree....and it boggles my mind that screen-writing classes seem to decry their (VO) use.....but when it works IT WORKS!!!!!
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

My favorite use of voice-over/narration in current shows airing? Dexter. It's used brilliantly and adds so much to the show.
twilightdew
Kostan Industries intern

Post by twilightdew »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Twilightdew--thanks so much for compiling and posting all of this information. I've slowly been going through it and reading and it's fascinating.

Now I am looking for noir elements in other shows I watch!
Me too! I wrote this stuff so long ago and once Moonlight was cancelled, I put my noir research on the back burner. But watching the new Beauty and Beast (and noticing all of the noir elements and Moonlight connections) has kick-started my interest again. I think I'm going to finally sit down and begin watching some of these classic noir movies like The Big Sleep and Double Indemnity and then re-watch Moonlight so I can relive the noir goodness.
Lucy wrote:I totally agree....and it boggles my mind that screen-writing classes seem to decry their (VO) use.....but when it works IT WORKS!!!!!
That opening sequence was just perfection and totally set the tone for the series. I loved how they used his voice over and included what he was seeing in his mind.

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

twilightdew wrote:Trevor and Ron really were creative and clever in their use of it and how they infused into so much of the writing and visual shots. I think that the noir really complimented and blended well with Moonlight's unique vampire mythology, Mick and Beth's "Beauty and the Beast" love story, Joseph's snark, and the detective/crime story lines.
wpgrace wrote:Totally AWESOME to see this again!!!!

ANd...sigh... totally points out how much better the first 12 were to the Final Four. For me, anyway.
The noir elements really elevated this show. I like vampires, but the combination was perfect, and the casting was perfect. Mick, Cora, Beth, and Josef were excellent for their archetypes.

I really think this show might've made it if it was marketed a bit differently (more emphasis on the noir, which made the show much cooler for adults than Twi), given time to hit the vamp boom, and just allowed to naturally grow. And if the Final Four would've been more modeled after the originals. Those made me sigh a bit. They were so... not the real Moonlight.
Yes, the lack of noir in the last four episodes was really a bummer. Moonlight felt off without its signature noir elements and it wasn't until they were missing that I really understood how much it contributed to Moonlight's cool and edgy style. I think that in many ways Moonlight, from vampires to noir, was far ahead of its time. And maybe you're right, if CBS had emphasized the noir and the crime-of-the-week aspect more in their marketing, it would have encouraged more of the mainstream, older audience (particularly those who watch CBS shows) to give it a try. And once the vampire craze picked up (and basically anyone who had picked up a Twilight book knew, for better or worse, that it would) then the vampire aspect could have been highlighted in promos, ads, commercials, etc. But the bottom line is that I think too much was expected all at once and there wasn't enough faith and patience.

Oh, and here is another thing that I posted elsewhere long ago about Mick's voice overs:

"The contemplative and confessional first-person voice over narration (including the use of flashbacks) is an important stylistic element of Film Noir and I personally think that it is really an important touch for a show that has so many other connections to film noir. Plus, I love hearing Mick's voice! I believe that the voice overs allow us an intimate look into Mick's inner thoughts and feelings. When we, as the viewer, hear Mick's voice there is a sense that he is talking to us personally and that helps us identify with him as well as feel a special connection with him. In some cases I think that the voice over lets the audience in on information that would be incredibly difficult or awkward to introduce using another method. For instance, Mick's VO in LFF was crucial to understanding what Mick was really thinking when he was telling Beth something completely different."

I totally love the use of voice overs in Moonlight and now I find myself more aware of voice overs in TV shows. In fact, I tend to like shows that use them heavily. For instance, Burn Notice just wouldn't be the same without them and neither would Veronica Mars (a show I discovered only a few years ago!).

With you 100% on the VO's. It made our connection to Mick rather intimate, which I think, in part, explains the nature of Alex's fandom even today.

And Oy! Yes. His Voice. If for no other reason than to hear that Voice! :melts:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)

Return to “Moonlight Ambiance”